Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What will be Benedict XVI's influence on the liturgy?
More acculturation and liturgical innovations 6 2.80%
No big changes, the status quo 31 14.49%
Much less liturgical abuse, the novus ordo celebrated better 86 40.19%
Less liturgical abuse, but also much more Latin, incense and TLM 91 42.52%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Apr 21, '05, 5:37 pm

Religion: RC
Default Liturgical Changes and Benedict XVI

A new pope has been elected, and Benedict XVI has assumed the papacy with a reputation as a conservative.

What kind of results do you expect on a local parish/diocesan level, as far as the liturgy?
Old Apr 21, '05, 5:47 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Liturgical Changes and Benedict XVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasi
A new pope has been elected, and Benedict XVI has assumed the papacy with a reputation as a conservative.

What kind of results do you expect on a local parish/diocesan level, as far as the liturgy?
One thing I certainly expect is that he will either declare that the Traditional Latin Mass was never abrogated (which is true), or else he will grant a general indult for that Mass, thus allowing any priest to say that mass.

I also believe the new Pope will regularize the situation with the SSPX pretty soon, and I hope he will also elevate one of the SSPX Bishops (Bishop Fellay?) to Cardinal.
Old Apr 21, '05, 5:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI

I welcomed the fact that now we had a binding liturgical text after a period of experimentation that had often deformed the liturgy. But I was dismayed by the prohibition of the old missal, since nothing of the sort had ever happened in the entire history of the liturgy. The impression was even given that what was happening was quite normal.

The previous missal had been created by Pius V in 1570 in connection with the Council of Trent; and so it was quite normal that, after four hundred years and a new council, a new pope would present us with a new missal. But the historical truth of the matter is different. Pius V had simply ordered a reworking of the Missale Romanum then being used, which is the normal thing as history develops over the course of centuries.

Many of his successors had likewise reworked this missal again, but without ever setting one missal against another. It was a continual process of growth and purification in which continuity was never destroyed. There is no such thing as a "Missal of Pius V", created by Pius V himself. There is only the reworking done by Pius V as one phase in a long history of growth. The new feature that came to the fore after the Council of Trent was of a different nature. The irruption of the Reformation had above all taken the concrete form of liturgical "reforms". It was not just a matter of there being a Catholic Church and a Protestant Church alongside one another. The split in the Church occurred almost imperceptibly and found its most visible and historically most decisive manifestation in the changes in the liturgy. These changes, in turn, took very different forms at the local level, so that here, too, one frequently could not ascertain the boundary between what was still Catholic and what was no longer Catholic.

Consequences could only be tragic.

In this confusing situation, which had become possible by the failure to produce unified liturgical legislation and by the existing liturgical pluralism inherited from the Middle Ages, the pope decided that now the Missale Romanum - the missal of the city of Rome - was to be introduced as reliably Catholic in every place that could not demonstrate its liturgy to be at least two hundred years old. Wherever the existing liturgy was that old, it could be preserved because its Catholic character would then be assured. In this case we cannot speak of the prohibition of a previous missal that had formerly been approved as valid. The prohibition of the missal that was now decreed, a missal that had known continuous growth over the centuries, starting with the sacramentaries of the ancient Church, introduced a breach into the history of the liturgy whose consequences could only be tragic....

"...the old building was demolished... setting it as a new construction over against what had grown historically, forbidding the results of this historical growth, thereby makes the liturgy appear to be no longer a living development but the product of erudite work and juridical authority; this has caused us enormous harm. For then the impression had to emerge that liturgy is something "made", not something given in advance... When liturgy is self-made, however, then it can no longer give us what its proper gift should be: the encounter with the mystery that is not our own product but rather our origin and the source of our life.

The disintegration of the liturgy.

"... I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy, which at times has even come to be conceived of etsi Deus non daretur: in that it is a matter of indifference whether or not God exists and whether or not He speaks to us and hears us. But when the community of faith, the world-wide unity of the Church and her history, and the mystery of the living Christ are no longer visible in the liturgy, where else, then, is the Church to become visible in her spiritual essence? Then the community is celebrating only itself, an activity that is utterly fruitless. And, because the ecclesial community cannot have its origin from itself but emerges as a unity only from the Lord, through faith, such circumstances will inexorably result in a disintegration into sectarian parties of all kinds - partisan opposition within a Church tearing herself apart...
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:06 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSiscoe
One thing I certainly expect is that he will either declare that the Traditional Latin Mass was never abrogated (which is true), or else he will grant a general indult for that Mass, thus allowing any priest to say that mass.

I also believe the new Pope will regularize the situation with the SSPX pretty soon, and I hope he will also elevate one of the SSPX Bishops (Bishop Fellay?) to Cardinal.
Don't hold your breath. First, the Pope does not micro manage anything, including the liturgy.

Second, the Pope does not operate in a vacuum. Any decisions about increasing the TLM would be taken in conjunction with the bishops. that should tell you something right there.

Third, SSPX isn't going to regularize if they don't want to. They were invited back to the table by John Paul, and chose not to come. Benedict isn't going to go chasing them.

And making one of them a Cardinal? When pigs fly...

And if the TLM was not abrogated, then there is no need for an indult. But there is an indult. Therefore it was abrogated.
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:13 pm

Quote:

If our new pope attempts to improve the liturgical situation, it will be great in those places where the local bishop co-operates. But in those places where the local bishop drags his feet, improvement will come slowly, until the foot-draggers die off.
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel
If our new pope attempts to improve the liturgical situation, it will be great in those places where the local bishop co-operates. But in those places where the local bishop drags his feet, improvement will come slowly, until the foot-draggers die off.
Here's something I always wondered about. If a diocese has a 'foot-dragging' bishop that openly defies Rome why doesn't Rome seem to do anything about it? They should certainly be able to reassign the bishop to some other position.
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Here is a link, that may provide some clues to the future.
Fr Fessio studied under the now Pope Benedict XVI.
The Pope has written very similiar thoughts and has stated that a reform of the Vatican II reforms is needed.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/754633/posts

Fogny
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:37 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otm
Don't hold your breath. First, the Pope does not micro manage anything, including the liturgy.

Second, the Pope does not operate in a vacuum. Any decisions about increasing the TLM would be taken in conjunction with the bishops. that should tell you something right there.
The Pope is the head of the Church. The Bishops must follow what the Pope says or they become schismatics.

Quote:
Third, SSPX isn't going to regularize if they don't want to. They were invited back to the table by John Paul, and chose not to come. Benedict isn't going to go chasing them.
The new Pope is no John Paul II. John Paul II reached out to the snake worshippers, I think this Pope will reach out to those who still have the faith (the Traditionalists)

Quote:
And making one of them a Cardinal? When pigs fly...
Well see.

Quote:
And if the TLM was not abrogated, then there is no need for an indult. But there is an indult. Therefore it was abrogated.
In 1986, John Paul II commissioned 9 Cardinals - Ratzinger, Mayer, Oddi, Stickler, Casaroli, Gantin, Innocenti, Palaz-zini, and Tomko - to determine whether or not the Old Mass was ever abrogated. They agreed unanimously that it was never abrogated. This is a fact that can be verified. The Old Mass does not need an Indult to be said. I understand that you may not have heard this, but it is true.

That is why Cardinal Stickler, who was one of the nine Cardinals appointed by John Paul II to study that matter, said the following in his preface to the re-print of the Ottaviani Intervention on November 27, 2004: "Fortunately, the latin roman Mass so-called of St Pius V has never been forbidden: priests and faithful can always draw from the source of the Lex orandi (law of praying) and in this way live faithfully the Lex credendi (law of believing)" (Cardinal Sticker, November 27, 2004 preface to the reprint of the Ottaviani Intervention).

On May 20, 1995 at the Christi Fidelis conference in Fort Lee, New Jersey, Cardinal Stickler gave an address entitled "The Theological Attractiveness of the Tridentine Mass". In the question and answer session after his speech, he was asked about the nine Cardinal Commission of 1986, and whether or not it was true that the Old Mass was never abrogated. The Cardinal explained,

"I can answer because I was one of the Cardinals." He continued, "the answers given by the nine Cardinals in 1986 was 'No, the Mass of Saint Pius V (Tridentine Mass) has never been suppressed'."

The Cardinal also confirmed the incident regarding the Papal decree. He related that of this commission of nine Cardinals, eight Cardinals were in favor, and one was against, a general permission to be drawn up making it clear that everyone could choose the old Mass as well as the new. The Cardinal explained that John Paul II seemed willing to promulgate this sort of announcement, but a few National Episcopal conferences who found out about the "danger" of this permission, came to the Pope and said "this should not be absolutely allowed because it would be the occasion or the cause of controversy in the people of God -- in the faithful themselves ... one against the other, and so on." Cardinal Stickler explained that in the face of this argument, the Pope abstained from signing this decree.
Old Apr 21, '05, 7:15 pm

Religion: RC

I don't think there will be nearly as many changes as folks might think, or that Benedict might like.

The pope can certainly make a statement mandating more Latin masses, but actually purchasing/moving the fixtures in the local churches, actually teaching priests Latin and chanting, actually teaching altar boys on how to serve Latin mass, all of this requires more than just passive cooperation from the bishops and the faithful.

Time and money would have to be allocated to actually accomplish the goal, a papal bull just saying that it will be done by such and such a date wouldn't look good if it didn't actually occur when the time came.

A modest amount of change is possible, certainly the pope will make statements as to the desirability of more consistency and traditional practices in the liturgy, but I suspect that their will be few changes in the short to medium term.
Old Apr 21, '05, 7:36 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Bombay

Quote:
A modest amount of change is possible, certainly the pope will make statements as to the desirability of more consistency and traditional practices in the liturgy, but I suspect that their will be few changes in the short to medium term.
I tend to agree. I think the Church learned a lesson about forcing too much change too fast when the new Mass was instituted and we are still reaping the whirlwind to this day.

I think any change may come in the form of more "options" rather than strict "mandates." But what do I know?
Old Apr 21, '05, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt19:26
Here's something I always wondered about. If a diocese has a 'foot-dragging' bishop that openly defies Rome why doesn't Rome seem to do anything about it? They should certainly be able to reassign the bishop to some other position.
Another position where he may just spread the problems further. I further, don't know if it would be all that easy to reassign a bishop without his own consent.
Old Apr 22, '05, 1:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago
Another position where he may just spread the problems further. I further, don't know if it would be all that easy to reassign a bishop without his own consent.
I agree on the reassigning part. Where would the bishop be reassigned??? If he is taken out of his diocese or metropolitan, he's going to end up in some office teaching most likely. The thought of him teaching full-time then is troubling. Plus Rome doesn't normally come down on foot-draggers if they are trying at all. Generally, Rome deals with renegade bishops only when they absoltely have to (and that call I leave to the Holy Father). Thanks and God Bless.
Old Apr 22, '05, 2:03 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky1882
I agree on the reassigning part. Where would the bishop be reassigned??? If he is taken out of his diocese or metropolitan, he's going to end up in some office teaching most likely. The thought of him teaching full-time then is troubling. Plus Rome doesn't normally come down on foot-draggers if they are trying at all. Generally, Rome deals with renegade bishops only when they absoltely have to (and that call I leave to the Holy Father). Thanks and God Bless.
One of the traditions of the East I love is chosing bishops from among the monastics. Maybe Rome could act along similar lines and send problem bishops off to monasteries for a few (or many) years of prayer and reflection?
Old Apr 22, '05, 3:45 am

RSiscoe wrote:
Quote:
That is why Cardinal Stickler, who was one of the nine Cardinals appointed by John Paul II to study that matter, said the following in his preface to the re-print of the Ottaviani Intervention on November 27, 2004: "Fortunately, the latin roman Mass so-called of St Pius V has never been forbidden: priests and faithful can always draw from the source of the Lex orandi (law of praying) and in this way live faithfully the Lex credendi (law of believing)" (Cardinal Sticker, November 27, 2004 preface to the reprint of the Ottaviani Intervention).

On May 20, 1995 at the Christi Fidelis conference in Fort Lee, New Jersey, Cardinal Stickler gave an address entitled "The Theological Attractiveness of the Tridentine Mass". In the question and answer session after his speech, he was asked about the nine Cardinal Commission of 1986, and whether or not it was true that the Old Mass was never abrogated. The Cardinal explained,

"I can answer because I was one of the Cardinals." He continued, "the answers given by the nine Cardinals in 1986 was 'No, the Mass of Saint Pius V (Tridentine Mass) has never been suppressed'."
Which is as relevant as vinegar is to rhubarb!

1. Cardinal Stickler NEVER made it to the position of Pope.

2. Even 1000 Cardinal's (even of Stickler's standard) do not possess the Power of the Keys, nor the Legal Authority of a Supreme Law-maker or Law-Interpreter.

3. No - the so-called "Tridentine" Liturgy was NOT abrogated. But it was obrogated and/or derogated. In other words - the new Liturgy of Paul VI simply REPLACED the former Liturgy of Pope St Pius V. An Indult therefore became vital for it to be said lawfully.

4. That the so-called "Ottavianni Intervention" was re-printed as such demonstrates the cock-eyed position of the so-called "traditionalists."

First of all - Cardinal Ottavianni NEVER wrote the document. He probably never had any input into it. At the instigation of Archbishop Lefebvre (who was miffed, initially, over the Schemas he was involved with on the Vatican Council II preparitory Commission being thrown out!) - he had the Dominican (in the main) as the author of the Document, which Cardinals Ottavianni (now almost totally blind) and Bacci signed a covering note. Sheesch! Later, of course, Ottaviani fully accepted the so-called Novus Ordo without reservations!
Old Apr 22, '05, 4:22 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O L
Which is as relevant as vinegar is to rhubarb!

1. Cardinal Stickler NEVER made it to the position of Pope.

2. Even 1000 Cardinal's (even of Stickler's standard) do not possess the Power of the Keys, nor the Legal Authority of a Supreme Law-maker or Law-Interpreter.

3. No - the so-called "Tridentine" Liturgy was NOT abrogated. But it was obrogated and/or derogated. In other words - the new Liturgy of Paul VI simply REPLACED the former Liturgy of Pope St Pius V. An Indult therefore became vital for it to be said lawfully.

4. That the so-called "Ottavianni Intervention" was re-printed as such demonstrates the cock-eyed position of the so-called "traditionalists."

First of all - Cardinal Ottavianni NEVER wrote the document. He probably never had any input into it. At the instigation of Archbishop Lefebvre (who was miffed, initially, over the Schemas he was involved with on the Vatican Council II preparitory Commission being thrown out!) - he had the Dominican (in the main) as the author of the Document, which Cardinals Ottavianni (now almost totally blind) and Bacci signed a covering note. Sheesch! Later, of course, Ottaviani fully accepted the so-called Novus Ordo without reservations!
SeanOL,

Your hatred for Catholicism, in favor of a "new order of things", has blinded you. You are a victim of our day. It is sad.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments