Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What is your "opinion" on Women Ordination?
I am in the 18-30 age group and I believe women should be allowed ordination. 11 2.10%
I am in the 18-30 age group, and I believe women cannot be ordained. 162 30.98%
31-40 age group, and I believe women should be allowed to be ordained. 8 1.53%
31-40 age group, and I believe women cannot be ordained. 130 24.86%
41-50 age group, and I believe women should be allowed to be ordained. 9 1.72%
41-50 age group, and I believe women cannot be ordained. 145 27.72%
I am 50+ and you ran out of space in this poll for my opinion! (please post) 58 11.09%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, '05, 10:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default WOMEN ONLY: Your "opinions" on Women Ordination

This is a poll of the women only: What is your opinioin on the topic of women ordination.
Old Apr 22, '05, 10:52 pm

Default Re: WOMEN ONLY: Your "opinions" on Women Ordination

If we have female priests does that mean we should have male nuns? If you listen to those promoting women ordination they talk about women having positions of power and authority in the church. Being a priest is about serving not power.
I know the church has already spoken definatively on the subject but even if they hadn't I would not want a woman priest (actually priestess).
Old Apr 22, '05, 11:07 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert since Easter 2006
Send a message via Yahoo to Heather07

I believe Jesus meant for the priesthood to be for men and not women. I don't really understand why its such a big deal to some women that they feel the need to be priests. I believe that any holy vocation is wonderful whether it be a priest or a nun. One is not "better" than the other as long as they intend to serve Christ, which is all that matters.

God Bless,
Heather
Old Apr 22, '05, 11:52 pm

It is about power, and not service. Rome has already spoken and the position carries the same weight as any other dogma. It will not and cannot happen.
Old Apr 22, '05, 11:57 pm
Forum Supporter

I believe the priesthood is for males only. If women need to have a religous vocation there is a need for sisters and nuns. I had some nuns that were great teachers and remember them fondly. They were strict but you learned.
Old Apr 23, '05, 1:58 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Is there any serious catholics who think that there are need for a women ordination?
Old Apr 23, '05, 6:31 am
Book Club Member

Religion: cradle Catholic

Weren't the Apostles all men?

I'm one of the older ones here so I guess I'm just used to having male priest and female nuns. After all, a nun, in my opinion, is just as holy as a priest and deserves the same respect. Nuns do wonderful work in serving the Lord. It shouldn't be about who has the most "power". If it's only "power" that they're after, then they shouldn't be either a priest or a nun.

As I've said before, if people don't like the rules of the Church, then they are free to leave. The media make it seem as though the Church is divided on this issue, but I think it's only a few wacko women that are causing all this dissention.

Shannin
Corinthians (10:17)
Old Apr 23, '05, 6:45 am

I am a convert and one of the things that always attracted me to Catholicism is the distinction of roles of men and women. They are separate, distinct, but both are extremely important and are complimentary to each other. I believe this is the way God intended it to be and I believe when Jesus was here on this earth, this is one of the things he showed. We all have our place and purpose.
Old Apr 23, '05, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89

If we have female priests does that mean we should have male nuns? If you listen to those promoting women ordination they talk about women having positions of power and authority in the church. Being a priest is about serving not power.
I know the church has already spoken definatively on the subject but even if they hadn't I would not want a woman priest (actually priestess).
Old Apr 23, '05, 9:00 am
Banned

am not offering an opinion on the subject since you ask only for women's opinions..... but,

why would someone concerned about the exclusion of a sex from the ordained, then turn right around and exclude a sex from input?

something bothers me about this picture or thread...
Old Apr 23, '05, 9:39 am

I said yes, and the main reason is because of Mary Magdalene. She was clearly incredibly important to Jesus and one of his closest disciples. (After all, she was one of the first to see Jesus risen.) It is not a stretch to assume she had a position of importance in the early Church as well. If she could have a high place in the Church, why not any woman who cares about Jesus as much as she did?

Historically, society has been incredibly patriarchal and women's roles have been suppressed and the instances where women's roles were not suppressed have been purposely erased from public record. We simply don't know if women had priestly positions early on, and therefore we can't just flat out assume that they didn't. (The fact that women priests aren't spoken of in the Bible just isn't enough for me, it's a known fact that people like Paul were staunch mysoginists, not to mention the men who put the Bible together later.)

I'm a realist though, so I know this probably won't happen any time soon. I highly doubt it'll even happen within my lifetime, unfortunately. But I do believe in my heart that it will happen, and I think it will be a good change.

(Please, no flames. You asked for opinions and mine was sorely underrepresented. I only ask that you realize that not all Catholics are of the conservative type and that the Catholic Church is big enough for us all.)
Old Apr 23, '05, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aixia
Historically, society has been incredibly patriarchal and women's roles have been suppressed and the instances where women's roles were not suppressed have been purposely erased from public record. We simply don't know if women had priestly positions early on, and therefore we can't just flat out assume that they didn't. (The fact that women priests aren't spoken of in the Bible just isn't enough for me, it's a known fact that people like Paul were staunch mysoginists, not to mention the men who put the Bible together later.)
If "the instances where women's roles were not suppressed have been purposely erased from public record" how do you know they existed? There are writings from the early church followers and from historians outside of the church available for study. It is not impossible to know if women priests existed. After all we know about religions before Chistiany and what their beliefs were. There were people whose job was to record history that weren't part of the Catholic church and they did just that.

Paul hated women, and the men who put the Bible together hated women? It's one thing to state opinion which we're all entitled to, it completely different to state opinion as fact. You need a better understanding of church history before you make such statements. Would you like to offer evidence for your claims?
Old Apr 23, '05, 10:35 am

A common complaint about the early Church is that a certain misogynism is found in the writings of some of the Church Fathers, but as Inter Insigniores no. 6 notes it is not clear that such prejudice had any influence on their pastoral activity. It is always important to distinguish the doctrine taught by personnel of the Church from their own opinions on various matters. Christ's gift of infallibility means that the Magisterium will not err on matters of faith and morals, not that representatives of the Church will be perfect in all respects.

http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodic.../article4.html
Old Apr 23, '05, 10:43 am

Religion: Catholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
am not offering an opinion on the subject since you ask only for women's opinions..... but,

why would someone concerned about the exclusion of a sex from the ordained, then turn right around and exclude a sex from input?

something bothers me about this picture or thread...
probably because all we hear about in the news are how "Catholic Women" are pressing for ordination. I'm sure the poll was made to see how Catholic Women actually think on this issue.

I said NO WAY!!!

RCIA Class of 2005
Old Apr 23, '05, 10:51 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Lone Ranger,
Let's let the ladies have their say.

I have no problem with that, goodness know on the vast amount of threads we all get to have our say.

God bless the women !

Trick

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics