Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Read the question before voting!
Death, by means currently used in the USA. 46 17.90%
Prison: Life in the current (US) prison system (NO parole). 136 52.92%
Prison: Less than life in the current (US) prison system. 0 0%
Prison: Solitary confinement for life. Rot in prison until you die. 33 12.84%
Rehab/Therapy: Lock up, plus rehabilitation/therapy. 20 7.78%
Other: Please explain 10 3.89%
Just give me 5 minutes alone...please ignore the screaming. 12 4.67%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Apr 27, '05, 3:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Appropriate Punishment: Please read before voting.

OK, we have a few debates going on the viability of the death penalty. I would like to know what punishment people think is appropriate for this crime...we'll use something recent. Assume that the criminal is actually guilty of the crime (100% GUILTY).

A 9 year old girl is abducted from her bed in the middle of the night, raped, and then murdered. The person who comitted this crime is found to be a repeat sexual offender/child molester. He has confessed this crime to the authorities.

What is the proper punishment?

Please post any arguments in favor of your choice.

Thank you.

Last edited by Isidore_AK; Apr 27, '05 at 3:39 pm.
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Appropriate Punishment: Please read before voting.

Personally I think it would be appropriate to lock this monster away for the rest of his life, and I mean never, ever being eligible for parole (thus the problem with our prison system). He should stay in jail until the day he dies. But, some would see that as a more cruel and unusual punishment than the death penalty. In these cases, two wrongs don't make a right; killing this man in no way atones for what he did.
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegpotter
Personally I think it would be appropriate to lock this monster away for the rest of his life, and I mean never, ever being eligible for parole (thus the problem with our prison system). He should stay in jail until the day he dies. But, some would see that as a more cruel and unusual punishment than the death penalty. In these cases, two wrongs don't make a right; killing this man in no way atones for what he did.
If you're still following this, please vote in the poll...I hadn't finished it when you posted. Thanx!
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:40 pm

Religion: In RCIA on my way home

The real problem is that this is a sex offender and they are simply impossible to rehabilitate in any significant percentage. While I voted rot in prison until you die, the reality is, turning them loose in the prison population would probably shorten their life considerably.

Lisa N
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:43 pm

Personally, I would prefer having 10 mins alone (please ignore the screaming) followed by life in prison, no parole. But not my will be done, but the Lords, so I just chose life in prison, no parole.

Personally, I think that a solitary confinement of sorts should be placed on these sick people. No outside information or speaking with others, except a lawyer/priest. I'm guessing that a lot of these people would prefer death to this. It would give them time to come to terms with God, they would realize they are being punished. There would be no books written, no letters to fans/other deranged people. No way for them to influence the outside world; as thier psycological influence can be damaging also.

How's my typing?
Call 1-800-BLES-SYOU
or PM me
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:50 pm

Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

While I'm very tempted to have 10 minutes alone in a dark, sound-proof place, I know that isn't a holy thought worthy of a Christian.

Life in prison, NO parole, and in extreme lockdown and solitary. I'm talking solitary to the point of near sensory-depravation. No talking to others, minimal "recreation" time during the day (still isolated with snipers up in a tower watching their every move in a lock-down yard). I would also ideally have a special order of religious dedicated to praying for the souls of those who are locked up like this; someone needs to pray for them.

Honestly, I'd prefer death to this kind of lock-up, so I think it would be a perfectly suitable punishment.
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:52 pm

Oooops, I voted in the wrong category. I meant to put the solitary/rot option. There IS actually a lock-down like this in one U.S. prison in California, and it's experimental, so I put the "U.S. prison" option not realizing that the Poll was using that to refer to typical life-imprisonment style in the U.S.
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:53 pm

Someone that sick needs to be in jail for the rest of there life in my book.
Old Apr 27, '05, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty
Oooops, I voted in the wrong category. I meant to put the solitary/rot option. There IS actually a lock-down like this in one U.S. prison in California, and it's experimental, so I put the "U.S. prison" option not realizing that the Poll was using that to refer to typical life-imprisonment style in the U.S.
Sheesh, I just realized I did the same thing... Great minds think alike!

How's my typing?
Call 1-800-BLES-SYOU
or PM me
Old Apr 27, '05, 4:00 pm

Life in prison, no parole, so he would have to live with himself and what he did for the remainder of his life...lethal injection or the electric chair are too charitable...
Old Apr 27, '05, 4:16 pm

Something about child abduction, child rape, and child murder is beyond the pale for me. With a heavy heart, I vote for the death penalty, given DNA evidence is on record, with no appeals available.
Old Apr 27, '05, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
Something about child abduction, child rape, and child murder is beyond the pale for me. With a heavy heart, I vote for the death penalty, given DNA evidence is on record, with no appeals available.
I agree completely...I can accept a crime against an adult, but not against children. I know it may not be logical, but child molestors make me hateful. I want to hurt them as badly as they hurt the children...and then hurt them some more for good measure.

I know that this is about the worst thing that people can imagine, thats why I used it as the crime for the poll...

Oh, for the record, I voted for the 5 minutes alone...I would be doing penance for years afterwards I'm sure...
Old Apr 27, '05, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Then all you have to do is put him into the general "life in prison" population. No need for a forced death penalty.

There's a reason people like that get put in special areas and are given 24-hour personal guards.
Old Apr 27, '05, 4:55 pm

Religion: catolica
Send a message via MSN to jeffreedy789

wow. everyone who's posted so far (that i read - sorry if i missed you) seems convinced that a person who did this sort of thing is a 'horrible monster' utterly disconnected from our own propensity for sin.

what you've described is a horrible act.

but are we saying that we are not capable of it? that we're 'good people' and this is a 'bad person'?

do we not consider that 'but for the grace of God, there go i'?

we are all sinful people. all of us, if put in the wrong situation, with the wrong upbringing, and the wrong 'understanding' of the world, could be capable of atrocities worse than this. no?

this, my friends, is why our vote should be for life imprisonment, with heavy emphasis on rehabilitation. because if it were me, that's what i'd want. this is a person, who can spend his eternity in heaven or hell, based on whether we kill him now, or give him time to learn about what he did, and what it means, and why it's wrong, and what to do about it.

our outrage at his act makes us want 'five minutes alone'. but this outrage is not toward the person - it's toward the action. the person needs our love - just as we need God's.
Old Apr 27, '05, 5:06 pm

I do not believe in the death penalty. I used to but after a serious conversation with a bishop about Catholic position and considering my strong opinions against abortion, I changed.

I am all for forgiveness and work toward helping the man/woman repent and convert. Never-the-less, the person pay for the crime, regardless of circumstances. Further, society must be protected from such people.

Bob
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology