Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 11, '11, 2:56 pm

Religion: Catholic (to be confirmed :D)
Default Moral dilemma: going on the pill for medicinal purposes?

Ok, essentially, I have a problem that means my fertility and whole menstrual cycle is screwed up. One of the options I was debating about, was whether to go on on the Pill, purely to aid my medical issues.

Would I have to come off it when I decided to get married? And is it still ok to go on the Pill in full knowledge that it will help my condition, but I wasn't going to use for contraception?
Old Aug 11, '11, 3:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Moral dilemma: going on the pill for medicinal purposes?

I see two different issues here. One is moral and the other medical.

On the medical side I would say that the pill might not be the optimal solution even if it appears to be the easier one. I would encourage you to search quite in detail about the cons of using the pill even for medical reasons and to consider other solutions too.

On the moral side there is nothing wrong with taking the pill while you are a single person, because you are not having relationships. However, once you get married the use of the pill becomes immoral.
Old Aug 11, '11, 3:08 pm

Hi poetpeace,

It is morally acceptable to take the pill for medical reasons.

God Bless!

"Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." - Pope St. John Paul II
Old Aug 11, '11, 3:16 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Doctors are humans like the rest of us, and subject to prejudice, ignorance or bias. Some have alleged that certain doctors use the pill as an 'easy out' to mask symptoms of an underlying problem instead of healing the real problem.

There are doctors specifically interested in helping people identify and permanently resolve those problems (if possible). Here's a good way to find such doctors:
http://www.fertilitycare.org/minneso...alconsultants/ Don't be fooled by the link name, you can pick your own state once you are there.
Old Aug 11, '11, 3:22 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichhertz View Post
It is morally acceptable to take the pill for medical reasons.
QFT.
Old Aug 11, '11, 3:46 pm

This came up on ask an apologist a while back. I don't know anything about this myself, so I'll just post a link:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=15756
Old Aug 11, '11, 3:49 pm

Religion: catholic

As to the moral issue I am no expert, but as the side effects of it I can say it caused more to aggravate than alleviate. It reigns in one issue but creates 3 or 4 others in its place.
Old Aug 11, '11, 4:10 pm

You don't have to stop when you get married if it is necessary for medical reasons. The Church does state that if you are using it though, you should make sure that any sex you do have while on it is not done in an attempt to take advantage of the contraceptive effects of the pill. I'd talk to a priest about how exactly this all plays out and what you should do to make sure you are not taking advantage of its effects. I can see a possible solution being to have sex as if one was using NFP, and there by abstaining for 7-12 days per month? Probably good for a marriage anyways and you would gain some of the indirect benefits of using NFP. Thats just my two cents though
Old Aug 12, '11, 12:03 am

Religion: Catholic (to be confirmed :D)

Well, Ive already had one operation to deal with this issue now, and Ive been told that really, my options are a selection of pills, the Pill, or another repeat of the operation - and I really do not like hospitals.
Old Aug 12, '11, 2:09 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I'm pretty sure that it's okay to use the Birth Control Pill for medicinal reasons as long as one abstains from sexual relations during the period of time that they are using it.
Old Aug 12, '11, 5:56 am
Account Under Review

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

I confess this is one of those teachings (at least as I'm given to understand it based on posts here on CAF) that I have to strenuously disagree with the Church.

A while back someone asked about the Pill's use as an abortifacient, specifically asking if she would be required to abstain from sex while taking it for legitimate medical reasons. Father Serpa's response was:

Quote:
Dear MKMMOM,

This is a very important matter that is widely misunderstood:

The Church considers a miscarriage to be a physical evil. Since abortion DELIBERATELY causes a miscarriage, it is therefore also a MORAL evil. The Church sees an UNintended miscarriage as only a physical evil since it is not deliberately caused by the couple.

The use of the pill for medical reasons may cause an UNintended miscarriage. Women often have unintended miscarriages—sometimes without even knowing it. It is only miscarriages that are INTENDED that the Church considers immoral. The Church never allows the pill to be used as an abortifacient. But it does allow the use of the pill for medical reasons with the possiblity of producing an unintended miscarriage—without obliging the couple to abstain from sexual relations during that time.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.
This reads to me like a dispensation to kill one's unborn child so that one can be free of hormonal migraines (or whatever the symptoms are being treated by the Pill) and still enjoy marital sex.

I understand in that case that the killing isn't willed, but it's certainly known in advance. And good intentions cannot justify morally illicit acts, only, at best, morally neutral ones.

Color me confused.
Old Aug 12, '11, 6:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxvobis View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's okay to use the Birth Control Pill for medicinal reasons as long as one abstains from sexual relations during the period of time that they are using it.
One is not required to abstain from sexual relations in these circumstances.
Old Aug 12, '11, 6:16 am
Banned

When the pill is used in this case, it is being used for medicinal purpose, NOT birth control. In fact, I believe it would be improper to refer to the pills as "birth control pills," since that is not their purpose.

It is true that sometime doctors overmedicate, but there are plenty of instances where they may be necessary, at least short term. My ex was such an example. She bled some much that she would actually faint, and the pills actually stopped that from occurring. She eventually outgrew this situation.
Old Aug 12, '11, 6:27 am

Religion: atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate13 View Post
You don't have to stop when you get married if it is necessary for medical reasons. The Church does state that if you are using it though, you should make sure that any sex you do have while on it is not done in an attempt to take advantage of the contraceptive effects of the pill.
You lost me there. How can you take the pill and have sex without taking advantage of the contraceptive effects of the pill? the pill does have contraceptive effects, so if you have sex while being on the pill for whetver reasons, you have sex without being 'open to conception.'

Quote:
I can see a possible solution being to have sex as if one was using NFP, and there by abstaining for 7-12 days per month?
So a kind of symbolic abstinence. I thought the main purpôse of NFP was to have sex while always leaving opne the possibility of conceiving by reducuing the chance of conception but not completely removing it. So, while the sex-free period may be 'good' for your marriage' this has nothing to do with this issue. Sex during this 7day peried is just as closed to conception as in any other period, and yoiu would always be taking advantage of the contraceptive effects of the pill.
Old Aug 12, '11, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorg View Post
You lost me there. How can you take the pill and have sex without taking advantage of the contraceptive effects of the pill? the pill does have contraceptive effects, so if you have sex while being on the pill for whetver reasons, you have sex without being 'open to conception.'
Take a look at the Principle of Double Effect. As long as the contraceptive effect is an unintended effect, then the act is not immoral. An effect can be foreseen and yet still be unintended.

"Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." - Pope St. John Paul II

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology