Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 14, '12, 6:50 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Do our pets go to Heaven?

Hey everyone. Do our pets go to Heaven? What about when there will be a new Heaven and a new Earth, will God allow us to have our pets then? This is something that has bothered me for a long time because I read that according to Catholic teaching, our pets don't survive death and hence they won't be with us in eternity. This really bothers me because I have a beloved cat named Precious. She is my little sweetheart. I have had her for 7 years and I know I've probably only got about 10 more years with her, if that. I don't want to lose her for good when she dies. I'm sorry but this is the one thing that bothers me about Catholicism. Can someone please help me out here?
Old Feb 14, '12, 7:05 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Do our pets go to Heaven?

What we do know:

Animals and plants have material souls. People have spiritual souls. People alone have intellect and will (the principles of the soul) and are made for union with God in Heaven. Animals are not. Animal souls do not persist after bodily death.

What we do not know:
We do not know what the new Heaven and new Earth will be like. We do not know if the mention of animals is literal or figurative. We do not know if these animals will be like animals we know or some other type of creature entirely. We do not know if God will "reconsistute" animals we have known in our lives.

I personally do not believe this is what is meant by the new Heaven and new Earth. Animals are not people. Yes, we love them and get attached to them, but we should not give animals the love due only to people and to God.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 14, '12, 7:24 pm
Banned

I believe that God takes care of all of his creation.....all of it.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:03 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

As Scripture has left this an open question, we must do the same.

Some are anxious to say yes, others to say no. But our LORD had not said, either way.

ICXC NIKA
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:15 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox w/ Reformed tendencies. Fides quaerens intellectum.
Send a message via Skype™ to Khalid

No. The animal has no immortal soul. It dissolves at death: "ashes to ashes and dust to dust". There is nothing of the animal that can endure once the body is dead: therefore, it is impossible.

It is possible that an animal could be recreated by God, or even conjured out of one's own memory - I see no reason why it should, however, or why one would desire such. I am in agreement with those who has posted in other threads of this topic, to the effect of, "what an insult is it to God, that one feels one can not be happy with the beatific vision, but must have Rover there too, as if a dog could augment God!"

If all people are to live in harmony in the New Jerusalem, assuming that not only animalophiles can be saved, some feel equally so that a place containing dogs or cats could not be paradisaical, disregarding any philosophical arguments one way or the other - which would seem to militate that one group or the other would be changed by force to enter heaven (abrogating free will, that is, if the beatific vision isn't great enough that it can't survive without the enhancement offered by Fido), that people who don't adore animals can't be saved (heresy), that animalophiles can't be saved (see above), or that heaven is separate and distinct for each and every individual (see above).
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:17 pm

Religion: Golden Rule athiest

Only dogs go to heaven.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:20 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

All Dogs Go To Heaven!
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:30 pm
Forum Supporter

I'm not sure it matters much to those who are in heaven or those who will reach heaven. If the answer is 'no - there are no pets...' would it make heaven less heavenly?
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:32 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I was not saying that I wouldn't be happy in Heaven without my cat because I am certain that I would be perfectly happy in Heaven even if I didn't have her. However, I still think it'd be really cool if I did get to have her anyway.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:44 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite), converted from Anglicanism

People tend to think of heaven as a really great version of earth. Pizza buffets all day long. Chatting with famous figures from history. And getting back pets and other things that we loved on earth.

But heaven will be nothing like earth. St. Paul assures us, "Eye has not seen, and ear has not heard the things that God has prepared for those who love him." Heaven will be NOTHING like earth - we cannot even comprehend what it will be like.

In heaven, we will be in complete and perfect union with Jesus Christ, and that will bring us infinite happiness. It's not like having Precious is really gonna matter to you. It's hard to think of it that way while we are still on earth, but it really will not matter. Having Precious will not add to the infinite happiness that you will derive from Jesus, and not having Precious will not diminish your happiness.

You won't have Precious. But you really will not care. You will not miss Precious one bit. I know you have a hard time believing that this is even possible (and you may even be angry at me for saying it), but it is. Jesus will be the only thing that you desire. You're not gonna want Jesus + Precious.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:45 pm
Forum Supporter

And I think it'd be really cool to eat as much cheesecake as I want in heaven... after all, I wouldn't have to worry about gaining weight!
Anyway, I think we understand each other's points.

PS
I'm a dog-lover myself so here's to hoping there are NO felines in heaven...
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:49 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Jewish

G-d in His justice and mercy will give us all that we need in Heaven to be happy, including our pets. G-d provides for all His creatures.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:50 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewstew03 View Post
And I think it'd be really cool to eat as much cheesecake as I want in heaven... after all, I wouldn't have to worry about gaining weight!
Anyway, I think we understand each other's points.

PS
I'm a dog-lover myself so here's to hoping there are NO felines in heaven...
But that would not be much fun for the doggies, would it, no cats to chase around??????

I relate to you though. My FoxyLady is my baby, and I'd love to see her in life everlasting. But I doubt, once I got to nestle in our LORD's arms, that I'd be looking hard for her, really.

ICXC NIKA
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:52 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

All we need in Heaven is God himself. God has provided for animals by choosing in his wisdom to not endow them with immortal souls.

Old Feb 14, '12, 8:59 pm
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

My dog is here with me. and assumes he is in heaven!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics