Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 9, '04, 8:06 am

Religion: Catholic Newbie
Default Leaving Mass Early

Every time I go to Mass, there is always a group of people who leave right after Communion. It has always bothered me a bit, but really got to me a couple of weeks ago when it seemed like about 15-20% of the parish left after Communion.

This kind of action, in my mind, is saying to God that you have more important things that need tending to, and you can't possibly wait another 10 minutes to get started. Traffic afterwards is never a problem, so that should not be an issue. I guess I am just saddened by this kind of behavior, and I pray that Mass will never become simply an obligation to me.
Old Jul 9, '04, 8:23 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: Leaving Mass Early

I remember seeing a joke somewhere, wish I could find it that defined different parts of the Mass.

Paraphrasing:
Processional - that part of the Mass where the Priest walks into Mass followed by a majority of the Parish

Recessional - that part of the Mass where the Priest follows most of parish out of the church.

One thing that has started to upset me is that not only are the people leaving early, a lot of the people that are leaving early or coming in late sit in the front, center of the church. The look like they are really trying to be part of the processional or recessional.

I was always taught that if you really need to come in late that you should enter via the side.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Jul 9, '04, 9:54 am

Religion: Catholic

We have some of that too. It is a terrible habit some people get into I guess. Although, every now and then Father will put a little zinger at the end of his sermon to teach on such things. My favorite was when he said: "Please remember when you receive, that the Mass is not ended yet. Give thanks to God for His gift of the Eucharist. Let us not imitate Judas. He was the only one who left the Last Supper early and you know what happened to him don't you?"
Old Jul 9, '04, 10:00 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to MGEISING

Scott Hahn calls that the Judas Shuffle ....
Old Jul 9, '04, 10:03 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite, Loyal to the Magisterium)
Send a message via MSN to T.A.Stobie, SFO Send a message via Yahoo to T.A.Stobie, SFO

One thing about regularly arriving late to and leaving early from Mass is that you show where your priorities lay. There are other things that take priority over your worship of God.

If you do it, think about it.

Musings of Thomas Stobie on Facebook
Old Jul 9, '04, 7:15 pm

Send a message via MSN to newsjag

One thing that you can do is talk to your Priest about this. Maybe he will give a little talk to all of these people. I once heard a homily about 'why are you at mass.' Needless to say, no one sheeplishly left after communion.

Another thing that irks me is when people leave while the choir is still singing. Do people not realize that singing is just another way of praying? It is so disrespectful, but I digress.
YOu just have to realize why you are at mass: do you have to be there or do you choose to be there?
Old Jul 10, '04, 12:03 pm
Melman

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsjag
Another thing that irks me is when people leave while the choir is still singing.
The Mass ends at the dismissal. Remaining until the priest has left is a courtesy to him. But when the music keeps on going for one, two or more verses after that, the musicians are looking to be recognized for their own "performance", and not realizing that Mass is over.
Old Jul 10, '04, 12:06 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite, Loyal to the Magisterium)
Send a message via MSN to T.A.Stobie, SFO Send a message via Yahoo to T.A.Stobie, SFO
Arrow Re: Leaving Mass Early

I have written the meditation Getting the most out of Mass and find it somewhat related as to why we should arrive early and leave late from Mass.

Musings of Thomas Stobie on Facebook
Old Jul 10, '04, 8:53 pm

An old neighbor of mine, now deceased, was an usher at a Catholic church that had this very problem.

The priest solved it, and quickly, by having the ushers lock the doors until the end of mass.
A simple problem, but one with a simple solution.
Old Jul 10, '04, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsizesedan
An old neighbor of mine, now deceased, was an usher at a Catholic church that had this very problem.

The priest solved it, and quickly, by having the ushers lock the doors until the end of mass. A simple problem, but one with a simple solution.
Unhappy, perhaps, is the fact that locking egress from a public building is illegal almost everywhere (occupancy usually being the only variable).
Old Jul 10, '04, 9:15 pm

Send a message via MSN to newsjag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melman
The Mass ends at the dismissal. Remaining until the priest has left is a courtesy to him. But when the music keeps on going for one, two or more verses after that, the musicians are looking to be recognized for their own "performance", and not realizing that Mass is over.
I dont know what you mean by "performance." From my experience, these musicians are not trying to show off to you. They are there because they have a talent to share that allows others to find another way to praise/and feel good. They are doing this for God. You should stick around because the singing is really just a form of a prayer. I dont think people realize that.

Anyways, are you really in that much of a hurry to leave? I do not mean this as an attack or anything, but I think all of us need to examine why we are at mass. Are we giving FULLY of ourselves at the mass?

If the choir is going on with their performance, stand there and join in as you deliver your performance to God.
Old Jul 10, '04, 9:55 pm
Melman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsizesedan
An old neighbor of mine, now deceased, was an usher at a Catholic church that had this very problem. The priest solved it, and quickly, by having the ushers lock the doors until the end of mass.
Which, in addition to probably violating a fire code or two, would make those with a perfectly legitimate need to leave, feel unnecessarily embarrassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsjag
If the choir is going on with their performance, stand there and join in as you deliver your performance to God.
You missed my point, or I didn't make it well enough. Musicians are not there to "allow others to find another way to praise and feel good", they have a specific defined role in the celebration of Mass. These are two different mindsets.

In many churches, the singing goes on for quite awhile after the dismissal (like it or not, the words of dismissal mark the official end of the Mass), after which the remaining congregation applauds. This is the "performance" mindset, and it is inappropriate. And I have no qualms in leaving after the priest has departed.
Old Jul 10, '04, 10:00 pm

Folks,

Our priest had an interesting solution for this when our church was built a year ago. In the back of the main section of the church in which the Mass is celebrated (I think this is the sanctuary), there are three sets of very large doors. These open into the entry area (I think this is the narthex) through which people enter the church. It's the main, high volume place for entry and exit.

When Mass begins, these doors are closed. Ushers guard the main doors and refer people to the small side doors if they choose to leave early. The side doors allow the late-comers and early-leavers (if that's a word) ;-) to enter and exit, but they are fairly small and hard to find. Most people hesitate before going to the ushers and asking about how they can leave early.

The end result is that people don't really leave early (and we're not breaking any fire codes). It may be cheating, but it works... ;-)

Philip

PS: The only way I think someone should leave Mass early is if they are on their way to the hospital, the firehouse, or the police station... ;-)
Old Jul 10, '04, 10:17 pm

Once the priest leaves, the mass is completed.

Our choir director loves to hear the sound of his voice and will sometimes even pick out songs with solo portions for himself. He also picks songs that are obscure and only the choir know, that is, songs not in the missal or Glory and Praise book.

I find that all the music that is performed during the mass can be distracting, especially when it is intentionally played wrong to make it easier to sing or the music is being performed wrong. Ocassionally I attend masses without music at another parish and I find those to be more moving, however, my wife is the vocalist at the noon mass and I end up going to it because of the rest of the family there.

What I find worse than people leaving during the song, is the altar servers going around and extinguishing the candles before the song is complete.

Mike
Roman Catholic
Knights of Columbus
Old Feb 21, '11, 11:48 am

That is illegal and the priest could be arrested for imprisonment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsizesedan View Post

The priest solved it, and quickly, by having the ushers lock the doors until the end of mass.
A simple problem, but one with a simple solution.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments