Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 19, '13, 8:01 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Pope Bluntly Faults Church's Focus on Gays and Abortion

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/wo...tion.html?_r=0

snip
Quote:
Pope Francis, in the first extensive interview of his six-month-old papacy, said that the Roman Catholic church had grown “obsessed” with preaching about abortion, gay marriage and contraception, and that he has chosen not to speak of those issues despite recriminations from some critics.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:08 am
Book Club Member

Default Re: Pope Bluntly Faults Church's Focus on Gays and Abortion

1. It's the NY Times. Not a reliable source for interpretation of what the Church or the Holy Father says.

Having said that, IMO sadly we don't hear nearly often enough strong teaching on moral issues in the pews. Obsessed? Not even close.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:11 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
1. It's the NY Times. Not a reliable source for interpretation of what the Church or the Holy Father says.

Having said that, IMO sadly we don't hear nearly often enough strong teaching on moral issues in the pews. Obsessed? Not even close.
It was the NYT quoting the Pope's own interview.,, I wish this was the case of a media hatchet job, but Pope Francis continues to disturb me more and more every day.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:19 am

Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

Here is a link to the actual interview, as published in America and other Jesuit journals around the world. Much better to read his own words:

http://www.americamagazine.org/pope-interview

And, AdvanceAlways, I think that it is, indeed, the Pope's job to "disturb" us, lest we become complacent and smug.

My blog: http://www.achattycatholic.com
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:26 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieagle View Post
Here is a link to the actual interview, as published in America and other Jesuit journals around the world. Much better to read his own words:

And, AdvanceAlways, I think that it is, indeed, the Pope's job to "disturb" us, lest we become complacent and smug.
Note the bold (which I added, I hope dixieagle doesn't mind).

I can't imagine allowing the media's choice of headlines to make me feel "disturbed" about the vicar of Christ. He should be making us think. I love this man more and more every day.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:27 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Odd, I can't seem to get to America Magazine's website. Too much traffic?
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:28 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

It appears America Magazine's website is down, probably over the surge in traffic after the NYT article. While yes, I do believe you are correct about complacency and smugness, I do think it is a problem when statements by the Pope will give every pro-abort Catholic the license they need to say "look, the Pope says I'm still Catholic!"
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes therese View Post
Note the bold (which I added, I hope dixieagle doesn't mind).

I can't imagine allowing the media's choice of headlines to make me feel "disturbed" about the vicar of Christ. He should be making us think. I love this man more and more every day.
I agree - the interview covers a wide range of issues and is stunning in its range, depth and thoughfulness. A real inspiration - What a wonderful Pope we have.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:35 am

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

Quote:

Here is the relevant section from the link:
“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.

“The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently. Proclamation in a missionary style focuses on the essentials, on the necessary things: this is also what fascinates and attracts more, what makes the heart burn, as it did for the disciples at Emmaus. We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel. The proposal of the Gospel must be more simple, profound, radiant. It is from this proposition that the moral consequences then flow."
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:35 am

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

While I'm in no way a supporter of Gay Marriage or Abortion, I do believe Pope Francis has a point. We are the Catholic church, here for the salvation of all mankind. We can't ostracize people, they are human beings as well. Preaching against gay marriage and abortion until we're blue in the face won't lead others to the Catholic church, living a Catholic lifestyle and being an example for others however will, and with that brings an end to things like abortion and gay marriage.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:40 am
Forum Supporter

Post Re: Pope Bluntly Faults Church's Focus on Gays and Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekariya View Post
Here is the relevant section from the link:
“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.

“The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently. Proclamation in a missionary style focuses on the essentials, on the necessary things: this is also what fascinates and attracts more, what makes the heart burn, as it did for the disciples at Emmaus. We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel. The proposal of the Gospel must be more simple, profound, radiant. It is from this proposition that the moral consequences then flow."
Notice he does NOT condone abortion, LGBT marriage, etc. Rather, he is trying to strike a balance, and I welcome his approach. The world knows where the Church stands on those hot-button issues, but the world also needs to hear the Gospel...

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:41 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanceAlways View Post
It was the NYT quoting the Pope's own interview.,, I wish this was the case of a media hatchet job, but Pope Francis continues to disturb me more and more every day.
I hear you and share your concerns, and I do think there needs to be more discretion given when doing interviews, in how words can and will be twisted. I can think of numerous times where a better choice of phrasing would have saved a lot of debate. Having said that, I do think the Times took it further than intended in this instance.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:44 am

Amen, Amen, Papa! What a tremendous gift to the Church and the world he is.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:45 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
I hear you and share your concerns, and I do think there needs to be more discretion given when doing interviews, in how words can and will be twisted. I can think of numerous times where a better choice of phrasing would have saved a lot of debate. Having said that, I do think the Times took it further than intended in this instance.
I just read the America interview, and it certainly was not as sensationalistic as the NYT made it out to be, but it was still troubling. I just wonder how much passivity toward moral issues the Pope wants the Church to take.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:48 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Here is a slightly longer excerpt from the interview, taken from the America web site:

The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently. Proclamation in a missionary style focuses on the essentials, on the necessary things: this is also what fascinates and attracts more, what makes the heart burn, as it did for the disciples at Emmaus. We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel. The proposal of the Gospel must be more simple, profound, radiant. It is from this proposition that the moral consequences then flow.

“I say this also thinking about the preaching and content of our preaching. A beautiful homily, a genuine sermon must begin with the first proclamation, with the proclamation of salvation. There is nothing more solid, deep and sure than this proclamation. Then you have to do catechesis. Then you can draw even a moral consequence. But the proclamation of the saving love of God comes before moral and religious imperatives. Today sometimes it seems that the opposite order is prevailing. The homily is the touchstone to measure the pastor’s proximity and ability to meet his people, because those who preach must recognize the heart of their community and must be able to see where the desire for God is lively and ardent. The message of the Gospel, therefore, is not to be reduced to some aspects that, although relevant, on their own do not show the heart of the message of Jesus Christ.”
I love this!

If I weren't Catholic, I would come away from news about our bishops in the US thinking that being Catholic is nothing more than being against abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraceptives as part of health insurance.

The Pope is right. Being a Catholic Christian is about being a loved sinner, about having a relationship with God and being embraced by his love and mercy. Slightly before the excerpt I quoted the Pope talks about confession and says, "The confessional is not a torture chamber, but the place in which the Lord's mercy motivates us to do better." First come the love and mercy of God, then comes our ability to change the world. But we have to know that love in our heads and more importantly, experience it in our hearts.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News