Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 9, '13, 5:42 am

Religion: Catholic- to the End
Default Gift of Tears

Has anyone had the "gift of tears" before consecration?

I had them this morning, just before the priest washed his hands. I usually always have them after I receive Communion when they come. The tears just came all of a sudden for no apparent reason. I was not upset over anything.
Old Oct 9, '13, 5:55 am

Religion: Passionate Vocal Catholic
Default Re: Gift of Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakotak View Post

I had them this morning, just before the priest washed his hands. I usually always have them after I receive Communion when they come. The tears just came all of a sudden for no apparent reason. I was not upset over anything.
Yes. I have to fight the tears sometimes as I kneel next to the priest at the altar during the consecration. I also experience this after recieving when I go back to my chair before the closing prayer; sometimes to the point where everyone in the congregation is able to see it many who join with me in tears.
Old Oct 9, '13, 6:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Sometimes, the listening to the readings will bring them. They have arrived at others times as well, but normally after communion.

3X cancer survivor: 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Not Otherwise Specified, 2) Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma, and 3) Myelodysplastic Syndrome. How?
Eucharist, Anointing, Prayer.
Moderator www.cancerforums.net
Old Oct 9, '13, 7:18 am

Religion: Catholic

I sometimes get teary-eyed during or just after the consecration, or after receiving communion. I don't recall it ever happening before the consecration, but I don't see any reason why it should not, in anticipation of the Eucharist.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Oct 9, '13, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelred Minor View Post
I sometimes get teary-eyed during or just after the consecration, or after receiving communion. I don't recall it ever happening before the consecration, but I don't see any reason why it should not, in anticipation of the Eucharist.
This makes sense. I didn't think of it in that way this morning. I have never had it happen to me, to my recollection, before consecration. I have had tears right at consecration and after receiving the Eucharist but not before as far as I can remember. This is why I thought this was odd for me. But in anticipation makes sense.
Old Oct 9, '13, 8:52 am
Forum Master

We have a man who goes to daily Mass who weeps frequently.

As an EMHC I see it often enough, people come up to receive with tears.

-Tim-
Old Oct 9, '13, 8:57 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Greek Orthodox, but converting to Roman Catholicism

Quote:

I have, many times. I didn't know what they were at the time it began. I would literally have tears streaming down my face through no control of my own, before the consecration, and while I received/after I received Communion.
"... as waters flow from the mountains down into the valleys, so, too, do God's graces flow only into humble souls." -Saint Faustina
Old Oct 9, '13, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
We have a man who goes to daily Mass who weeps frequently.

As an EMHC I see it often enough, people come up to receive with tears.

-Tim-
This ^^^^

As a minister distributing the Sacred Species, sometimes people come up to receive, and you can just tell in their face, THEY BELIEVE! Wow, that brings me to tears every time. I think people sometimes just how strong a witness to the faith they are in the simple things. I think there is a famous quote about that, strive to do the extraordinary in the ordinary. Not sure how it goes.
Old Oct 9, '13, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Sometimes, the listening to the readings will bring them. They have arrived at others times as well, but normally after communion.
I sometimes choke up when reading the Gospel. I read real slow at times just because of this.
Old Oct 9, '13, 9:11 am

Quote:

Just to add to this. After this experience, a man that attends morning Mass frequently, came up to me after Mass when I was heading for my car, and wanted to invite me to the
Bible Study at the Church on Tuesdays. He also engaged me on points of the faith. I was able to help him to clear up a few hazy areas for him. He said he was glad we talked. I have no idea why he singled me out, but I was very happy to have been able to help him. It must have been the Holy Spirit really at work today.
Old Oct 9, '13, 10:57 am

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

An interesting fact... In the Eastern Churches the "gift of tears" refers to crying over one's sins in sorrow for committing them and in joy for God's love for us.
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old Oct 9, '13, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekariya View Post
An interesting fact... In the Eastern Churches the "gift of tears" refers to crying over one's sins in sorrow for committing them and in joy for God's love for us.
Usually if I am going to cry over my sins, I know I am going to cry and I know what I am going to cry over. These tears just come all of a sudden, no specific thoughts on my mind, they just come, mostly for me after receiving the Eucharist. This time it was just before the priest washed his hands. This was different. Interesting difference.
Old Oct 12, '13, 7:33 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapey View Post
I sometimes choke up when reading the Gospel. I read real slow at times just because of this.
u wud drive me barmy in that we take the Gospel to the middle of our Church and when am Acolyting I am affected by the balance sound and that spot is where the 'cut off' is an just stand in the wrong place, I never yet fainted in the Gospel as I don't faint but stand in that wrong place and I wonder how am going to get thru it especially with our Deacon as he does read slow and turns his head to look at the people and with the sound for me is a challenge. The other Sunday when I saw how long the Gospel was I actually said to the Priest if 'he' takes too long then may have to pick me up because wasn't feeling well anyway. He just calmly said, thats alright, just if u fall make sure fall forward.... I did sway a bit more that week and hit the Gospel with my candle much to the concern of the person who holds it - who luckily hadn't heard me kind of warned the priest or would have been more concerned. But yes I am affected by sound/balance since Septicemia and u would drive me so crazy with the slow speed sometimes, enough that if u were slow regularly enough I would swap that week simply because i shake too much. Walking back down the isle is a huge relief for me
Old Oct 12, '13, 8:20 am

Religion: long lost Catholic sheep, now in the Maronite fold

Thank you all for sharing this. I always thought there was something wrong with me for crying. I so tried to conceal or stop it, but I cant. Now I know that it is okay.
Old Oct 12, '13, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casilda View Post
Thank you all for sharing this. I always thought there was something wrong with me for crying. I so tried to conceal or stop it, but I cant. Now I know that it is okay.
Yes, it is certainly ok, this is the gift of the Holy Spirit being active in your life in a profound way. Accept it and thank the Spirit for allowing you to experience it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments