Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 31, '14, 10:19 am

Religion: Discerning
Default Re: What to do with old "immodest" photos and another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpt View Post
Are you a scrupulous person? Are you touched by a strong culpability? Are you touched by wrong mentalities about your body and Co? Are you a puritan person? Are you a victorian person? Are you a jansenist person?

Are you a follower of strange catholic movements? Are you a follower of Madam Colleen Hammond's view on the modesty and Co? Are you a follower of the Mister Ronald Conte Jr's view on the modesty and Co? Are you a follower of Mister Raylan Alleman's view on the modesty and Co?

You need to talk to a "true catholic priest", I mean a priest who does not encourage your scrupules and who struggle against the "catholic protestanisms" about modesty, decency, garments and all the topics with focus on the body.

STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP WITH THE FOOLISH INTELLECTUAL APPROACHES, WITH THE WRONG MENTALITIES AND WITH YOUR SCRUPULES.
Don't yell at the OP in caps, that's not nice. In fact, your whole post isn't very nice
Old May 31, '14, 10:29 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Are you a scrupulous person? Are you touched by a strong culpability? Are you touched by wrong mentalities about your body and Co? Are you a puritan person? Are you a victorian person? Are you a jansenist person?

Are you a follower of strange catholic movements? Are you a follower of Madam Colleen Hammond's view on the modesty and Co? Are you a follower of the Mister Ronald Conte Jr's view on the modesty and Co? Are you a follower of Mister Raylan Alleman's view on the modesty and Co?

You need to talk to a "true catholic priest", I mean a priest who does not encourage your scrupules and who struggles against the "catholic protestanisms" about modesty, decency, garments and all the topics with focus on the body.

STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP WITH THE FOOLISH INTELLECTUAL APPROACHES, WITH THE WRONG MENTALITIES AND WITH YOUR SCRUPULES.

In USA, in Europe and everywhere in the world, there are fundamentalist "catholic" movements who want to be more catholic than the catholicism and than the Pope. STOP, STOP, STOP.

When Dr. Alice von Hildebrand explains that the puritanism and Co is not a great issue in the modern world, I do not understand. Where does she live?

There are many works to do for destroying the Manicheism, the Catharism,the Jansenism, the Victorianism, the Puritanism, the Prudism, the intellectual diseases concerning the body and the sins of body.

SORRY, IF I CAN SEEM TO BE DIRECT, CRITIC AND LIKE A FIGHTER, BUT IN THIS CASE THE SYMPTOMS ARE CLEAR.
Old May 31, '14, 10:39 am
Banned

Only an exemple, for information. Good reading, I would like to have your reactions.

http://www.colleenhammond.com/pdf/dw...guidelines.pdf

Dressing with Dignity
Outfit Check
"There is a difference between dressing attractively,
and dressing to attract.“
1. Is my blouse well-designed?
a. Try on the blouse and bend over. If you can see down your shirt, so can everyone else.
FASHION TIP: Tape it to your chest, otherwise this blouse has to go. Or try a scarf or camisole under it.
b. When wearing a knit shirt, take your fingertips and press them into your shirt over your breastbone. When you take your hand away, does it spring back? If so, this top too tight! (Well-endowed ladies: be extra careful!)
FASHION TIP: Get rid of the blouse. It's not going to get bigger overnight!
c. When wearing a blouse that buttons down the front, stand sideways and look in the mirror. Put your hands on your hips like —chicken wings“ and try to touch your elbows together behind your back. If your blouse gaps, you're in danger of exposing too much–not to mention losing a button and exposing even more!
FASHION TIP: Blouses that are too tight are unbecoming, especially for a lady who dresses with dignity. Try buying a blouse a size or two larger to allow the blouse to be looser and for you to be able to more freely. Or, try a camisole (or a plain, loose t-shirt) under the buttoned blouse. (Make sure they pass the Outfit Check!)
d. Does your blouse plunge too low in the front? A blouse is not attractive or demure if it dips lower than two fingers widths below the pit of your throat. It should also have sleeves that cover your shoulders and upper arms. And also make sure you‘re note exposing your upper back. FASHION TIP: Use a fashion scarf to fill in the low spots of your blouse.
e. Does my top have any type of writing or message on it? A confident lady has the good taste not to use her bosom as a billboard. A top with a message doesn‘t work.
FASHION TIP: Insist on others treating you with dignity, and don‘t make yourself a billboard. Ditch it.
2. Am I showing my belly?
a. Reach up as if you‘re getting something off the top shelf. Does that expose any back or belly skin?
FASHION TIP: Pull out that camisole or t-shirt again, and make sure they pass the Outfit Check.
3. How long? How short?
a. Below the knee is considered fashionable and dignified. Does the skirt or dress have slits? Forget it! It‘s better to forego altogether a skirt or dress with slits. If an outfit has a slit in it for ”ease of movement‘, then it‘s probably too tight for comfort…or elegance! Unless they stop below your knee, slits are out.
FASHION TIP: You can find long, flowing skirts almost anywhere today. A dignified lady keeps her kneecaps covered…even when she‘s sitting. And don‘t forget to wear a slip!
4. Tight, Clingy, Sheer…
a. Can you see an outline of your panties or bra through your clothing–either because your clothing is too tight, too clingy, or too sheer? Are any undergarments hanging out of your outer clothing?
FASHION TIP: Trash any clothing that is tight, clingy or transparent. It‘s undignified and in bad taste.

Before you leave the house, here‘s a little poem my daughter came up with
as an —Outfit-Check“:
—Heads, shoulders, knees and toes. Doesn‘t work? Then out it goes!“
a. Put both of your hands on your head. Does the skin around your waist show (stomach or back)?
b. Put your hands on your shoulders. Are they covered? Check your neckline, too, and make sure it isn‘t too low.
c. Bend over and put your hands on your knees. Does your top hang open and away from your body? Does you clothing cover your knees? Check for slits.
d. Bend down and touch your toes. Does your back show?
If you can pass the head-shoulders-knees-and-toes test, congratulations! You are now developing a style all your own–and Dressing with Dignity!

Those tips are............. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you agree with them, the debate is almost impossible. These tips are.....!!!!
Old May 31, '14, 10:49 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post
Modesty is a virtue. It is not necessary to be ashamed of your body though, either. Perhaps you are swinging too much the other way. There's nothing in the catechism that compels you to be frumpy and ashamed of your body.
Agreed.

Scrupulosity (the excessive level of avoidance of temptation and/or excessively low bar for what is sinful) is itself a form of sin.

I'd advise keeping them, but not in a readily accessible location, for the future generations will want them.

Also, what the OP has described isn't immodest. (Well, assuming that the bikini covers the genitalia.)

Also, I'd suggest the OP think about what's actually visible in some of the churches of Italy, especially of Rome - lots of nude human figures.

Adam's sins didn't include nakedness - they were disobedience and pride. And his covering up of his body was proof of his disobedience.
Old May 31, '14, 10:54 am
Banned

Quote:
In USA, in Europe and everywhere in the world, there are fundamentalist "catholic" movements who want to be more catholic than the catholicism and than the Pope. STOP, STOP, STOP.

When Dr. Alice von Hildebrand explains that the puritanism and Co is not a great issue in the modern world, I do not understand. Where does she live?

There are many works to do for destroying the Manicheism, the Catharism,the Jansenism, the Victorianism, the Puritanism, the Prudism, the intellectual diseases concerning the body and the sins of body.

SORRY, IF I CAN SEEM TO BE DIRECT, CRITIC AND LIKE A FIGHTER, BUT IN THIS CASE THE SYMPTOMS ARE CLEAR.

I don't want to be uncharitable, but as catholic I have the right to try to explain the Roman Catholic Teaching, in the details with all subtleties: not more and not less. All catholic lay person has to know that the scrupules, the Scrupulism, the wrong culpability, the Culpabilism, many heresies, ideologies and mentalities have to be fought by the doctrine and the practice. The dialogue between Faith and Reason and the dialogue between Reason and Faith are important rules for discerning.

By intellectual diseases, I want to say "a disease of intelligence", philosophically speaking and theologically speaking. For instance, the modernism is a disease of the intelligence according to the words of the Pope SAINT PIE X.
Old May 31, '14, 11:02 am

Quote:
Only an exemple, for information. Good reading, I would like to have your reactions.

http://www.colleenhammond.com/pdf/dw...guidelines.pdf

Dressing with Dignity
Outfit Check
"There is a difference between dressing attractively,
and dressing to attract.“
1. Is my blouse well-designed?
a. Try on the blouse and bend over. If you can see down your shirt, so can everyone else.
FASHION TIP: Tape it to your chest, otherwise this blouse has to go. Or try a scarf or camisole under it.
b. When wearing a knit shirt, take your fingertips and press them into your shirt over your breastbone. When you take your hand away, does it spring back? If so, this top too tight! (Well-endowed ladies: be extra careful!)
FASHION TIP: Get rid of the blouse. It's not going to get bigger overnight!
c. When wearing a blouse that buttons down the front, stand sideways and look in the mirror. Put your hands on your hips like —chicken wings“ and try to touch your elbows together behind your back. If your blouse gaps, you're in danger of exposing too much–not to mention losing a button and exposing even more!
FASHION TIP: Blouses that are too tight are unbecoming, especially for a lady who dresses with dignity. Try buying a blouse a size or two larger to allow the blouse to be looser and for you to be able to more freely. Or, try a camisole (or a plain, loose t-shirt) under the buttoned blouse. (Make sure they pass the Outfit Check!)
d. Does your blouse plunge too low in the front? A blouse is not attractive or demure if it dips lower than two fingers widths below the pit of your throat. It should also have sleeves that cover your shoulders and upper arms. And also make sure you‘re note exposing your upper back. FASHION TIP: Use a fashion scarf to fill in the low spots of your blouse.
e. Does my top have any type of writing or message on it? A confident lady has the good taste not to use her bosom as a billboard. A top with a message doesn‘t work.
FASHION TIP: Insist on others treating you with dignity, and don‘t make yourself a billboard. Ditch it.
2. Am I showing my belly?
a. Reach up as if you‘re getting something off the top shelf. Does that expose any back or belly skin?
FASHION TIP: Pull out that camisole or t-shirt again, and make sure they pass the Outfit Check.
3. How long? How short?
a. Below the knee is considered fashionable and dignified. Does the skirt or dress have slits? Forget it! It‘s better to forego altogether a skirt or dress with slits. If an outfit has a slit in it for ”ease of movement‘, then it‘s probably too tight for comfort…or elegance! Unless they stop below your knee, slits are out.
FASHION TIP: You can find long, flowing skirts almost anywhere today. A dignified lady keeps her kneecaps covered…even when she‘s sitting. And don‘t forget to wear a slip!
4. Tight, Clingy, Sheer…
a. Can you see an outline of your panties or bra through your clothing–either because your clothing is too tight, too clingy, or too sheer? Are any undergarments hanging out of your outer clothing?
FASHION TIP: Trash any clothing that is tight, clingy or transparent. It‘s undignified and in bad taste.

Before you leave the house, here‘s a little poem my daughter came up with
as an —Outfit-Check“:
—Heads, shoulders, knees and toes. Doesn‘t work? Then out it goes!“
a. Put both of your hands on your head. Does the skin around your waist show (stomach or back)?
b. Put your hands on your shoulders. Are they covered? Check your neckline, too, and make sure it isn‘t too low.
c. Bend over and put your hands on your knees. Does your top hang open and away from your body? Does you clothing cover your knees? Check for slits.
d. Bend down and touch your toes. Does your back show?
If you can pass the head-shoulders-knees-and-toes test, congratulations! You are now developing a style all your own–and Dressing with Dignity!

Those tips are............. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you agree with them, the debate is almost impossible. These tips are.....!!!!
So are you saying these are NOT good tips? I would agree with most of them, actually, except that I think two fingers below the pit of the throat is a bit extreme...I've heard more like 4 fingers' width. And I think that skirts can be just above the knee and still be okay, although I like them at the knee or below personally now that I'm 46. I don't think print on a shirt is bad, unless it's a lewd saying.
Old May 31, '14, 11:19 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Agreed.

Scrupulosity (the excessive level of avoidance of temptation and/or excessively low bar for what is sinful) is itself a form of sin.

I'd advise keeping them, but not in a readily accessible location, for the future generations will want them.

Also, what the OP has described isn't immodest. (Well, assuming that the bikini covers the genitalia.)

Also, I'd suggest the OP think about what's actually visible in some of the churches of Italy, especially of Rome - lots of nude human figures.

Adam's sins didn't include nakedness - they were disobedience and pride. And his covering up of his body was proof of his disobedience.
Bikinis are obviously immodest. They show the midriff, thighs, etc.
Old May 31, '14, 12:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica97 View Post
So are you saying these are NOT good tips? I would agree with most of them, actually, except that I think two fingers below the pit of the throat is a bit extreme...I've heard more like 4 fingers' width. And I think that skirts can be just above the knee and still be okay, although I like them at the knee or below personally now that I'm 46. I don't think print on a shirt is bad, unless it's a lewd saying.

As catholic lay person, I can state that I am not linked by those tips, morally speaking and that I will not promote those tips for many reasons.

1. The whole of this book uses some English litteratures from the ante-victorian time in the U-K as justifications without critical mind on this period. No debate on the mentalities, on the philsophies, on the theologies, on the civil laws, on the penal laws, on the administrative laws and on the social étiquettes concerning the rules of relations between men and women, and between husband and wife. No critic on the British protestantisms, on the British anglicanism, on the British jansenism, on the British puritanism, on British mentalities of family, of marriage and of the marital act. No comment on the "true discrimination" between men and women. The effect is as if this period was the "Golden Age" of the social etiquettes concerning the rules of relations between men and women, and between husband and wife. No comment on the constitutive elements of some social crazy, stupid and foolish etiquettes. The author seems "o be in love with this period", there is no work of a deep discerning of this period (Love and Courtship in the Time of Jane Austen -- Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) --). The nostalgia seems to be.

2. When you read this page of tips, objectively speaking, this content is like a list of the discipline of the Old Testament: the table of laws for being modest in the garment. This content is ridiculous because, if you read, the dialogue between Faith and Reason and the dialogue between Reason and Faith do not exist. Those tips are full of stupidity. The author stays baby and teenager.

====== This catholic lay persons who is very activist on the web is touched by some diseases of the intelligence, philosophically speaking and theogically speaking, in the manner to read, to understand and to interprete the catholic documents from the Holy See concerning the notion of modesty and of the decency. She is in the hyper-reaction, she seems to be obsessed by the carnal sins, she is not capable to purify her own views, because she has the nostalgia of some past times (just before victorian times at the end of XVIII centuries for the habits between men and women in the English world), the past just before the Vatican II about the clothing of women, the question of veil at mass and Co....etc. Her reasonning is full of simple thoughts.
Old May 31, '14, 12:54 pm
Banned

Quote:

In the book of Colleen Hammond called " Dressing with Dignity ", the whole of the guidelines who are written are linked to this statement, -- " in order that uniformity of understanding prevail in all institutions of religious women ... we recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper " --, who would have been given by the Vatican. Does the document exist? Where is it coming from? Is it a fake?

Read that:

http://mamaslittleditty.blogspot.fr/...upporters.html

I had never heard anything like it before and, of course, wanted to know if this was indeed something we are bound to. I assumed not since even the most faithful and pious females I knew did not adhere strictly to these guidelines. Is it possible that this was in fact Church teaching?

At that point, I began to do research. I dug into everything I could find and even poured over the Acta Apostolicae Sedis from the appropriate year and month and beyond. I eventually found the document somewhere (not in English) and discovered that this was not addressed to laywomen at all. If I had those papers I could tell you whether it was directed at religious sisters or the female students under their care in the context of institutional education. I just don't recall. The first line of the above statement confirms it was at least one of these. I created a file, put all my information in it, and moved on.

The discussion has recently come up again in some circles I travel in and I attempted to find that old file. It's been almost a decade and we've moved to a new home. Somewhere in the middle of all that, the papers went missing. Empty file. I probably took them out to share with someone and lost them forever.

Since then, I have been approached multiple times very recently by women hoping that I have some of those details. One young mother is being harangued by older Catholic women in her community because she will not conform. She doesn't know how to respond to their steady pressure and negative personal attacks that she is sinning in her manner of dress. She is hurt and alone. I am digging up the issue here for people like her; good Catholic women who aught not be lied to.

A lie? Yes. Show me one binding Church document that supports the specific manner of dress that this quote deals with down to inches and sleeve length. There isn't one for all laywomen. And yet it is repeated over and over in popular books and magazines and all over the internet. Out of context. Never a source document sited. I am not anti-modesty. I am anti-deception.

So, I want to be clear about this for myself, for you, for every Catholic woman out there who is being harassed into believing that she has fallen into the clutches of satan himself for wearing a short-sleeved shirt.
Please find me the original source document for the guidelines I've quoted above.
If you cannot do this, then stop bothering people with it
. I fully support your decision to dress as you wish within a reasonable range and the Church allows you this freedom. I am not bothered by long shirts and skirts. I am bothered with the idea that individuals (even well-meaning ones) find it acceptable to use deceitful tactics to promote their preferences... a Catholic modesty crusade believing that the end justifies the means.
I am willing to be wrong on this. God's will be done. Just find me the source document.
--------
Old May 31, '14, 12:58 pm
Banned

Quote:

This document is the letter of 28th August 1928 from Congregation for Religious, published in Italian in the « Commentarium pro religiosis » (1928, volume 9, pages 414 - 415), but translated in English langage by Fr John Rubba O.P.

--- Letter of the Congregation for Religious
To The Ordinaries of Italy : regarding the crusade against immodest fashions, especially in schools directed by women Religious.
Circular.
Most Illustrious and Reverend Sir, well known to you are the grave words of condemnation which the Holy Father spoke, on several occasions, with apostolic authority, against the immodest fashion of women’s dress which prevails today to the detriment of good breeding.
Suffice it to recall the very grave words, charged with grief and admonition, with which in the discourse of August 15th current, in the consistorial chamber, promulgating the decree on the heroic virtues of Venerable Paola Frassinetti, His Holiness denounced once again the danger which, by its seductive fascination, threatens so many unwary souls, who profess to belong to the flock of Jesus Christ and to His Holy Church.
It is painful to point out in this regard that the deplorable custom tends to insinuate itself among young girls who frequent, as extern pupils, some of the schools directed by Sisters and Sunday-school classes which are held in female religious institutions.
In order to confront a danger which, by spreading, becomes ever more grave, this Sacred Congregation, by order of the Holy Father, calls upon the Ordinaries of Italy so that they may communicate to the superiors of the houses of female religious in their respective dioceses the following injunctions of this Sacred Congregation, confirmed by His Holiness in audience this day :
a) In all schools, academies, recreation centers, Sunday schools, and laboratories directed by female religious, not to be admitted from now on are those girls who do not observe in their attire the rules of modesty and Christian decency.
b) To this end, the superiors themselves will be obliged to exercise a close supervision and exclude peremptorily from the schools and projects of their institutions those pupils who do not conform to these prescriptions.
c) They must not be influenced in this by any human respect, either for material considerations or by reason of the social prestige and of the families of their pupils, even though the student body should diminish in number.
d) Furthermore, the Sisters, in fulfillment of their educational pursuits, must endeavor to inculcate sweetly and strongly in their pupils the love and relish for holy modesty, the sign and guardian of purity and delicate adornment of womankind.
Your Reverence will be vigilant that these injunctions be exactly observed and that there be perfect conformity of conduct among all the institutes of female religious in the diocese.
You will severely call to task whoever should fail in this, and should any abuse be prolonged, you will notify this Sacred Congregation.
With deepest esteem, I remain,
Devotedly yours,
Camillo Cardinal Laurenti, Prefect
Sacred Congregation for Religious
Vincent La Puma, Secretary

Here, no sentence concerning the centimeter precisions.

The " important document ", on which the author organizes almost all her reasoning, should be checked. Is it real and true? Where is it? Is it a fake and an intellectual invention coming from some lay persons, priests and friends? She needs to give us the original source of this document.
Old May 31, '14, 12:59 pm
Banned

[quote=Veronica97;12042017][size="3"][font="Comic Sans MS"]So are you saying these are NOT good tips?

Dressing with Dignity!!!!! A honest book????

This is a sample of the instruction, the letter of 12th jannuary 1930 from Congregation of Council (In latine langage), published into the Acta Apostolicae Sedis (year 1930, volume 22st, pages 26-28).

DE INHONESTO FEMINARUM VESTIENDI MORE
Vi supremi apostolatus, quo in universa Ecclesia divinitus fungitur, Ssmus Dominus Noster Pius Papa XI verbis et scriptis nunquam destitit illud S. Pauli (I ad Tim., II, 9,10) inculcare, videlicet : « mulieres in habitu ornato cum verecundia et sobrietate ornantes se, et... quod decet mulieres, promittentes pietatem per opera bona ».
Ac saepenumero, occasione data, idem Summus Pontifex improbavit acerrimeque damnavit inhonestum vestiendi morem in catholicarum quoque mulierum ac puellarum usum hodie passim inductum, qui non modo femineum decus atque ornamentum graviter offendit, sed nedum in temporalem earumdem feminarum perniciem verum etiam, quod peius est, in sempiternam, itemque in aliorum ruinam miserrime vertit.
Nihil igitur mirum, si Episcopi ceterique locorum Ordinarii, sicut decet ministros Christi, in sua quisque dioecesi pravae huiusmodi licentiae ac procacitati modis omnibus unaque voce obstiterunt, derisiones nonnumquam ac ludibria ob hanc causam sibi a malevolis illata aequo fortique animo tolerantes.

Quod ut facilius ac tutius ad effectum deducatur, haec Sacra Congregatio, de mandato Sanctissimi Domini, ea quae sequuntur ad rem statuere decrevit :
I. Parochi praesertim et concionatores, data occasione, secundum illud Apostoli Pauli (II ad Tim., IV, 2) instent, arguant, obsecrent, increpent ut feminae vestes gestent, quae verecundiam sapiant quaeque sint ornamentum et praesidium virtutis ; moneantque parentes ne filiae indecoras vestes gestare sinant.
II. Parentes, memores gravissimae obligationis qua tenentur prolis educationem in primis religiosam et moralem curandi, peculiarem adhibeant diligentiam, ut puellae a primis annis in doctrina christiana solide instituantur atque in earum animo ipsi, verbis et exemplo, amorem virtutum modestiae et castitatis impense foveant ; familiam vero, Sacrae Familiae exempla imitati, ita constituere atque gubernare satagant, ut singuli verecundiae amandae atque servandae inter domesticos parietes habeant causam et invitamentum.
III. Parentes iidem filias a publicis exercitationibus et concursibus gymmcis arceant ; si vero eisdem filiae interesse cogantur, curent ut vestes adhibeant quae honestatem plene praeseferant ; inhonestas vero vestes illas gestare nunquam sinant.
IV. Collegiorum moderatrices et scholarum magistrae modestiae amore puellarum animos ita imbuere enitantur, ut eaedem ad honeste vestiendum efficaciter inducantur.
V. Eaedem moderatrices ac magistrae puellas, ne ipsarum quidem matribus exceptis, quae vestes minus honestas gestent, in collegia et scholas ne admittant, admissasque, nisi resipiscant, dimittant.
VI. Religiosae, iuxta litteras die xxiii mensis Augusti, anno MDCCCCXXVIII, datas a Sacra Congregatione de Religiosis, in sua collegia, scholas, oratoria, recreatoria puellas ne admittant, admissas ne tolerent, quae christianum vestiendi morem non servent : ipsae vero in alumnis educandis peculiare adhibeant studium, ut in earum animo sancti pudoris et verecundiae christianae amor altas radices agat.
VI .That religious, according to the letter of 23 August in the year 1928, emanating from the Sacred Congregation for Religious, do not admit in their colleges, schools, oratories, playgrounds, and once admitted will not tolerate those who do not observe the Christian custom of dressing: but they themselves take special care to ensure that by educating students, the love of holy modesty and Christian modesty is deeply rooted in their minds

VII. Piae instituantur et foveantur feminarum Associationes, quae consilio, exemplo et opere finem sibi praestituant cohibendi abusus in vestibus gestandis christianae modestiae haud congruentibus et promovendi morum puritatem ac vestiendi honestatem.
VIII. In pias Associationes feminarum ne illae admittantur, quae inhonestas vestes induant ; admissae vero, si quid postea hac in re peccent et monitae non resipiscant, expellantur.
IX. Puellae et mulieres, quae inhonestas vestes induunt, a Sancta Communione et a munere matrinae in sacramentis Baptismi et Confirmationis arceantur, atque, si casus ferat, ab ipso ecclesiae ingressu prohibeantur.
X. Cum incidunt per annum festa, quae modestiae christianae inculcandam peculiarem exhibeant opportunitatem, praesertim vero festa B. M. Virginis, parochi et sacerdotes piarum Unionum et Catholicarum Consociationum moderatores feminas ad christianum vestiendi morem, opportuno sermone revocare atque excitare ne praetermittant. In festo autem Beatae Mariae Virginis sine labe conceptae peculiares preces in omnibus cathedralibus et paroecialibus ecclesiis quovis anno peragantur, habitis, ubi fieri potest, opportunis cohortationibus in sollemni ad populum concione.
XI. Consilium dioecesanum a vigilantia, de quo in declaratione Sancti Officii die xxii mensis Martii, a. MDCCCCXVIII data, semel saltem in anno de aptioribus modis ac rationibus ad feminarum modestiae efficaciter consulendum ex professo agat.
XII. Quo vero haec salutaris actio efficaciter et tutior succedat, Episcopi aliique locorum Ordinarii, tertio quoque anno, una simul cum relatione de religiosa, institutione, de qua in Litteris Orbem catholicum die xxix mensis Iunii, anno MDCCCCXX.....

Datum Romae, ex aedibus Sacrae Congregationis Concilii, die xii mensis Ianuarii in festo Sacrae Familiae, anno MDCCCCXXX.
Donato Card. SBARETTI, Episc. Sabinen, et Mandelen., Praefectus.
L. + S. Iulius, Ep. Lampsacen., Secretarius.

Here, no sentence concerning the centimeter precisions.

Colleen Hammond has to search the real documents!!!!
Old May 31, '14, 4:41 pm

Some time you will be gone and these pictures will become public property to your children and grandchildren, it can be assumed. Is this how you want them to remember you when you are gone?
Old May 31, '14, 7:39 pm

Religion: Discerning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgspencer View Post
Some time you will be gone and these pictures will become public property to your children and grandchildren, it can be assumed. Is this how you want them to remember you when you are gone?
Oh for heaven's sake. I'm sure that they will remember her from their interactions with her, from what they saw her wearing at the time, rather than what she was wearing in old photos.

I'm pretty sure most of them wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Old Jun 2, '14, 2:38 am

Religion: Catholic - conservative / traditionalist

Quote:
Last night, I was looking through some old family photographs that I have, and I noticed that I used to dress rather immodestly (short shorts, mini-skirts, bikinis, etc.) I've confessed all that, and I try to dress modestly now. But what do I do with the existing photos? I hate to throw them away if they include my husband and son or other family members. There's a photo of my husband and me with our toddler son at the beach, and I'm wearing a bikini. I thought maybe I could put a sticker on the photo to cover up my body somehow. Nobody is going to see these photos, except our son--and maybe one day if he gets married, his wife and children. I would hate for his future daughters to say, "Oh, wow--look at Grandma...if she dressed that way, I guess it's fine for us to dress that way too." (The sin of scandal in other words). Should I definitely throw away the ones that are just of myself (like one of me in short shorts when my husband and I were first married many years ago...before he got an anullment and we were sacramentally married in the Church. This is in a honeymoon scrapbook--which I sort of feel like the whole scrapbook is a sin because we weren't married in the Church. I wasn't Catholic then but my husband was). Now while I would never dress that way again, there is still a part of me that doesn't want to throw them away because I am somehow proud of how thin/attractive I was. So I think the Lord is trying to show me that I am not unattached from this sin. And then I remembered a time when I was dressed in a long velvet gown with long gloves to be in a wedding, and then my husband and I went to a bar afterwards and I sang karaoke-- "These Boots are Made for Walkin'"--, and I enjoyed all the attention and enjoyed being alluring to men. I kept thinking back to that today, and while I would never want a man to sin because of me, a part of me is looking back longingly to that time...and wishing to be alluring in that way again. I think this could be temptation, and like I said, I feel like God is trying to tell me that I am not unattached from these sins (even though I have confessed and would never do these things again). How can I be sorry for these sins and yet be looking back at them longingly? Are these thoughts mortal sins?
I very much sympathise I had loads of old pictures from before I met my husband, some a lot less than idea modesty wise.

Basically I weeded out the worst (with my husband's help) but kept as many as possible as a memory and a record.
Old Jun 2, '14, 2:51 am

There are photographic artist who can "Paint" clothes on to the photos.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology