Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 4, '06, 12:20 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default What do you need in a "Mom's Group" at church?

Our parish doesn't have a mom's group, and I might try start one. Several years ago, there was a group who met with their kids in the nursery, let the kids play, and chatted while watching the kids. I like the idea of meeting at the nursery rather than at various people's houses. Now, I have heard someone who was in that original group criticize it for not having a spiritual aspect, such as group prayer or Bible study, etc. I was under the impression that the purpose of having a mom's group at church was to socialize with other moms with similar religious beliefs, states in life, and values... but that comment got me thinking. What are some things that I should consider if/when I start the group? How often should it meet? Once a week to start with, maybe? Anyway, just add your ! Thanks!!
Old Feb 4, '06, 12:29 pm

Default Re: What do you need in a "Mom's Group" at church?

We had a rosary group for years. We met at church in bad weather and at the park in good weather. It was very nice. However, I never got through a rosary with getting up to settle disputes, rescue the toddler, etc.

I think it would be very restful just to gather to socialize. It is very hard to do anything intellectual while your littles are around. I find it exhausting. If you want formation, I'd suggest meeting without the kids.

How about gathering to socialize, but having a resource table with Catholic literature, parenting guides, etc.?

If you want to do more of a formation (without kids, or babysitting provided), I'd suggest Familia. It is a great program.
Old Feb 4, '06, 1:28 pm

our church just started a (MACH) group (moms and children) I love it, we have the first hour devoted to talking about women issues and well being and then our parish priest comes in the 2nd hour and leads us in a bible study/discussion, there is childcare for infants to 5 yr old, it is Awesome, I am sooooooo excited to finally have something like this
Old Feb 4, '06, 5:27 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005

I've been in Mom's groups that were only social & Mom's groups where we tried to study the Bible & pray. I have to say that I like the only social ones much better. The Bible/prayer ones end up being totally social anyhow, yet I'd always go away feeling a bit guilty because all we did was chit-chat & then spend the last few minutes in a speedy prayer of some sort. I think it's too difficult to talk scripture & pray while keeping an eye on the toddlers & the babies. Moms need time to just relax & talk diapers & tantrums & the lastest good book they'd like to read if they could find a few spare minutes in the day. That's my opinion.
Old Feb 4, '06, 6:03 pm

I tried starting a Mom's group at my church but had trouble finding Moms to participate. It was very discouraging. We ended up with about 3 moms and we did Eucharistic Adoration for Children for a year ( http://www.childrenofhope.org/ ). We just gave up at the start of this school year. It was stressful for us--it was hard to have someone be there everyweek (you know, kids, naps, sickness, vacation, etc) since there were so few of us. It was nice to gather infront of Jesus everyweek, even when not all the kids were perfectly behaved. Good luck getting something started!
Old Feb 4, '06, 7:36 pm

that is why this group I'm in in so great, child care is provided for infants to 5 yrs old so you get 2 hours without your kids underfoot, it is a time to get that grown up time so many of us just don't get anymore, the first hour is for issues such as womens well being and where do we find God in the little things, that is a time to share stories about our family and our faith in our lives, the second hour is when the priest comes in, we go over the readings in the bible that Father will read at the next Sunday Mass and he explains so much, very interesting.

I know if childcare was not provided, I would not even have bothered with this, that is the one thing that attracted me
Old Feb 4, '06, 7:49 pm

Whatever you decide the purpose or "mission" of your group should be, stick to it. Don't try to be all things to all people who attend, just because you're happy to see a warm body show up.

I'm not saying that this is what you will do; I am speaking from personal experience about a group I tried out in my parish.

Women will join a group of other women for a wide range of motivations: this one because she wants to deepen her faith; that one because she wants to make new friends; this one because she has overwhelming problems.

There should be a basic schedule that is adhered to. I'd recommend putting God first--through group (recited or read) prayer, scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday, and THEN leave a little time for prayer petitions.

Maybe you can attend a group from a different parish, or diocese, just to see what you like or don't like?
Old Feb 4, '06, 7:54 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert from Evangelicalism

I just started a Women's Study Group at my parish that has childcare provided, and it has been great for me. I like that it is not a "Bible study" -- we are reading a Chesterton book right now and discussing it each week. I have found that some Bible studies turn into different people just telling what they think verses mean--but that was in Protestant churches before I converted.

But--I think the idea of just a totally social group would be awesome!! I would definitely join one if there was one by me. You could just end it with intentions and a Hail Mary, which would probably be enough with little ones running around. And of course with the friendships that would naturally form, you would have people you could talk to and ask for prayers from, on a private level.
Old Feb 4, '06, 8:18 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Here's my suggestions:

1) Coffee, tea, etc. Hospitality is so important to establish a welcoming environment for the group!

2) Personally, I like study groups with a spiritual focus that relates to my life.

3) Having someone watch the younger children makes a study group possible. (Maybe the parish's pro-life group to help pay for a sitter or watch the children.)

4) If you choose that the group be primarily a social support group, I still strongly recommend you include some spiritual aspect, even if merely including some short prayer.

5) People often make a greater effort to attend something that doesn't promise to be there indefinately, so meeting only 8-14 times for a specific study can help establish a dedicated core group. If the women click well together, they may want to continue meeting. (The women's groups that I'm part of that met for the longest began with a short time commitment.)

6) Be loyal to the Church and the Magesterium. If you do a study, pick good, solid Catholic material. If you have a social group, keep the conversation pleasing to God.
Old Feb 6, '06, 9:36 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Thank you all for your valuable insights! This is something that I will still have to pray about before coming to any conclusions. But I'll just stay close to Jesus and Mary and see what they want me to do God bless you all!
Old Feb 14, '06, 1:55 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Consider joining the Confraternity of Christian Mothers.

My wife Julie got our chapter resurrected after it was inactive. It is a wonderful group for mothers to get together and share fellowship.

Unfortunately, the meetings started getting out of Julie's control and turning into sessions of gossip, life-story swapping, and even on occasion, husband-bashing. One day they decided they'd all bring in their wedding albums and show each other photos, which left Julie out because we do not have any fancy wedding photo album.

Just watch that if you start something you know what its purpose is and either stick to the purpose or modify. Personally I hate groups that are supposed to be prayer groups and turn into gossip sessions. They need to stay on track.

If you want information about the Confraternity please let me know and I'll have Julie get some for you.

Alan

edit>> here a website with info: http://www.capuchin.com/mothers/default.htm
Old Nov 5, '11, 7:26 am

Religion: Catholic with a bit of Orthodox and Protestant :)

I'm resurrecting this old thread because it already has many valuable answers but i would like to address the last pister's points:

How do you keep a mom's group from turning into gossip and husband bashing? What kind of guidelines would you set out and what measures should be taken if they start heading that way?
Old Nov 5, '11, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieC View Post
Whatever you decide the purpose or "mission" of your group should be, stick to it. Don't try to be all things to all people who attend, just because you're happy to see a warm body show up.

I'm not saying that this is what you will do; I am speaking from personal experience about a group I tried out in my parish.

Women will join a group of other women for a wide range of motivations: this one because she wants to deepen her faith; that one because she wants to make new friends; this one because she has overwhelming problems.

There should be a basic schedule that is adhered to. I'd recommend putting God first--through group (recited or read) prayer, scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday, and THEN leave a little time for prayer petitions.

Maybe you can attend a group from a different parish, or diocese, just to see what you like or don't like?
I was going to say about the same thing. after 5 years at our group its turned into mostly moms who want to deepen their faith. The others are welcome but most of the time they find a different group that meets their needs. We read spiritual book like "life giving love" etc. and discuss them. 1 chapter a week. One person volunteers to lead each week and have question(s). There have been times no one was able to read and we just socialize. We start with prayer and end with prayer. we all say a intention and say a hail Mary for each. Meeting to just socialize wonít last long it gets boring and we ran out of things to talk about thatís why we turned into a spiritual book group. Our group has worked out long term we are all still having kids and have our faith in common and like to meet for spiritual needs (we have a common goal). If your group has different ideas everyone will go in different directions.
Old Nov 5, '11, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1inICXC View Post
I'm resurrecting this old thread because it already has many valuable answers but i would like to address the last pister's points:

How do you keep a mom's group from turning into gossip and husband bashing? What kind of guidelines would you set out and what measures should be taken if they start heading that way?
oh I thought is was new thread. you can't change people. you have to find moms with your morals and values who want to meet each week. we have a book group.
Old Nov 5, '11, 9:47 am

The mom's group I just started attending is studying the Why Catholic? books. This was only my first group but it seems that if the topic gets too off track or controversial, the leader steers us back. It also seems like a great group of women!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting