1 billion members?

Just wondered what everyone thought the actual number of Catholics there are in the world.

Given that huge numbers dont listen to Church on some issues, contraception, etc…, what do you think the actual number of faithful Catholics is?

In Christ

Andre.

Pretty much impossible to calculate. Still, I live in hope that most of the people follow the teaching, or at least will come to follow it.

Brad

How do they come up with that number? I heard a preacher in our area talk about how ‘ridiculous and overblown’ that number was because they probably only went by baptismal records, which doesn’t take into account how many people, like him, have left the church.

[quote=Elzee]How do they come up with that number? I heard a preacher in our area talk about how ‘ridiculous and overblown’ that number was because they probably only went by baptismal records, which doesn’t take into account how many people, like him, have left the church.
[/quote]

According to Catholic News the numbers were tallied in 2001, so the number of adults who may have left the Church wouldn’t be a relevant factor. So, there were, as of 2001, one billion baptized Catholics in the world.

[quote=Magicsilence] Just wondered what everyone thought the actual number of Catholics there are in the world.
[/quote]

They are based on diocesan records and are pretty accurate.

[quote=Magicsilence] Given that huge numbers dont listen to Church on some issues, contraception, etc…, what do you think the actual number of faithful Catholics is?
[/quote]

Be careful how you start trying to classify people as “faithful” and “unfaithful”. Sin requires full knowledge and consent. I know plenty of Catholics who faithfully follow what their pastor has (erroneously) taught them.

Number of sinners in the Catholic Church: one billion
Number of perfect people in the Catholic Church: zero

Good Show 1ke! :smiley:

I used to try to figure out how many real Christians there were in the world…But that’s not our job. :o

Shoot, I still have my list of sins…not being a Roman Catholic may be one of em :confused:

peace and love from Longhorn country :thumbsup:

I’ve heard the 1 billion number as the most quotable number.

As far as Catholics who are true to thier faith; if my own personal experience can be applied and extrapolated I guess well down in the single digits of percent. Possibly less then 1%.

I base this on the fact that I live in an area where the vast majority is Catholic. Outside of a few indivuals from my parish I don’t know anybody who even remotely follows the teachings of the church.

The problem is that this same statement can be applied to every Christian denomination out there. Some of the newcomer denominations seem to have some momentum today, but in a matter of time, they will quickly run into the same problems as everyone else.

[quote=Mijoy2]I’ve heard the 1 billion number as the most quotable number.

As far as Catholics who are true to thier faith; if my own personal experience can be applied and extrapolated I guess well down in the single digits of percent. Possibly less then 1%.

I base this on the fact that I live in an area where the vast majority is Catholic. Outside of a few indivuals from my parish I don’t know anybody who even remotely follows the teachings of the church.
[/quote]

Mijoy2…

That’s kinda depressing :frowning:

fewer that 1%…not even 1 out of 10 :confused:

[quote=se~orcampana]Mijoy2…

That’s kinda depressing :frowning:

fewer that 1%…not even 1 out of 10 :confused:
[/quote]

So sorry to depress. As I said I qualify this by it being my own personal experience having grown up in a Catholic household, having all Catholic aunts uncles and cousins. Having had mostly all Catholic friends and over 30 years in the work place having had mostly Catholic co-workers. I can honestly say that, with the possible exception of one cousin that I just recalled, I never met anybody who either exhibited, professed, or displayed to me that they held to all church teachings (or even most).

For anybody who has read some of my posts this may explain my being frequently disturbed over issues of mortal sin, salvation and the like. Further more, I don’t think most Catholics who do not follow certain teachings (contraception, mass obligation, and self-gratification come to mind) fully understand that the Church teaches these things are a sin and grave sins at that. I think they simply think the Church frowns upon it.

Maybe it has something to do with my demographic. I don’t get the same idea from reading these forums. I appears many of the people here have family and friends they can share thier faith with. Which must be a wonderful thing.

[quote=Della]According to Catholic News the numbers were tallied in 2001, so the number of adults who may have left the Church wouldn’t be a relevant factor. So, there were, as of 2001, one billion baptized Catholics in the world.
[/quote]

This number has always sounded inflated to me.

Considering, that not everyone baptized will make a first penance, and of those that do not all will receive first communion, etc… of that number how many willfully depart the RCC? There doesn’t seem to be any reliable statistic on how many “active Catholics” there are…I would think that a more accurate figure would be the number of Catholics that perform their weekly obligation.

The number of sacraments and weekly attendence numbers are what the Archdiocese of Boston used to determine which parishes to close / merge last year.

Peace to you,
Richard

The CC is not just a museum of saints but here on earth a more apt description is HOSPITAL FOR SINNERS.

So, even the unfaithful and the fallen away ones is still her’s they just don’t know it…they are in the OUT-PATIENT status.

in XT.

According the last Australian census around 10% of Catholics attended church on a regular basis, I would say this would be fairly representative of the rest of the developed world.

levi86: I think it’s closer to 25% in Canada and the United States, but I could be wrong.

:crying:

[quote=twf]levi86: I think it’s closer to 25% in Canada and the United States, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

It’s a lot tougher for Aussies though, after all how is a mere human expected to choose between church and the Sunday cricket??? :crying:

[quote=twf]levi86: I think it’s closer to 25% in Canada and the United States, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

It’s a lot tougher for Aussies though, after all how is a mere human expected to choose between church and the Sunday cricket??? :crying:

I would say there are 1.1 billion Catholics - 6 million in the UK (and I’mmmm one of them :stuck_out_tongue: )

But the numbers of actually faithful - as in completely faithful (This is quite hard as I would say quite a few are going against the teachings of the church without even knowing it) I would say about 0.5 billion tops, probably more like 0.4 tops.

The percentage of “real faithful Catholics” in the UK will undountedly be low.

[quote=maesoph]The problem is that this same statement can be applied to every Christian denomination out there. Some of the newcomer denominations seem to have some momentum today, but in a matter of time, they will quickly run into the same problems as everyone else.
[/quote]

So true the number of protestant that practice their faith in Europe is like 2 percent in most countires I kid you not. The catholic church doing 10-15 percent in Europe by many accounts is by comparision booming. Were doing 25-30 in the States which is really booming for a developed country. Besides go to your average evangelical church they have over a 50 percent turnover within 5 years its not like the protestant church is stable either many choose to drop out entirely after a while just like Catholics. Barna Research indicates over 80 percent of evangelical youth quit church when they become adults. Hmm sounds like Catholics are not the only ones who have this problem. True many catholics due get hooked in by fundies but many of these same people get tired of that scene and return back to mother church even more reinvogarated than before. So its a temporary hop in many cases. The number of protestants and Orthodox are invariabley infalted in regards to to people who practice the faith we should remember the scene in america represents something like little more than 5 percent of the christians in the world so let not make your local scene the be all of the christian scene remember in latin america, asia and africa most that identify themselves as catholics still practice their faith on a regualr basis.
It would not be outrageous to say at this moment their are more practicing Muslims than practicing christians worldwide as many catholics and protestants are merely nominal and drop out the scene on a regualr basis. Every European country has said that their 10 percent of Muslims will outdraw adherents at the Mosque the 90 percent of Christian adherents at a church. I think this would be true of most countries.

[quote=Richard_Hurtz]This number has always sounded inflated to me.

Considering, that not everyone baptized will make a first penance, and of those that do not all will receive first communion, etc… of that number how many willfully depart the RCC? There doesn’t seem to be any reliable statistic on how many “active Catholics” there are…I would think that a more accurate figure would be the number of Catholics that perform their weekly obligation.

The number of sacraments and weekly attendence numbers are what the Archdiocese of Boston used to determine which parishes to close / merge last year.

Peace to you,
Richard
[/quote]

Every few years every diocese in the world reports to Rome how many people were in the pews at any given time. Yes, it does reflect the actual number. If you consider the fact that there’s a Catholic Church in almost every city in the western world and Vietnam, Philippines, Africa and some others… I don’t think it’s inflated. Why would it sound inflated?

Semper Fi: The figures we see are the number of baptized Catholics (who have not formally left the Church). I can assure you (sadly) that there are not one billion practicing Catholics in the world. There are some 67 million Catholics in the US, for example, but only about one in four of these baptized persons actually attend mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.