1 Corinthians 10:31 - misinterpretation?

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

I take this to mean exactly what it sounds like - everything you do should bring glory to God (or, as an extension, allow you to bring glory to God - this includes eating and sleeping).

I program, perform various acts related to home improvement, run, and snack on Doritos. None of these things bring glory to God nor do they bring me closer to acts that glorify God. If I follow this verse wholeheartedly (think about it… this includes almost everything you do throughout the day, from appreciating the landscape to smacking a fly), I feel I may plunge into insanity.

Another interpretation may be that you are not to do things that bring dishonor or “dis-glory” to God. Is that right?

Or am I way off-key here?

It may be helpful to start reading this passage from verse 23 if not from the beginning of Chapter 10. This statement of Paul’s was in reference to conducting yourself in such a way as to not cause scandal to your brother for matters that were morally benign. In this case, it was in the partaking of meat that was offered to idols; but more generally, it speaks toward being wary of a false sense of freedom. Just because something is lawful to do, doesn’t mean that it is necessarily a good idea. In all that we do, (thought, word, and deed) we should do as stewards of mercy and charity.

Our lives should give glory to God. This doesn’t mean every single thing we do glorifies God, but it does mean nothing we do should give someone a chance to say "He claims to be a Christian and he does xyz??

Related verse - Col. 3:17 “Whatever you do, in word or in deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”

Mundane example: you do “home improvement.” When you do so, you could do it out of pride, so other people would look at your home and be impressed with your success. You could do it with resentment, because your spouse asked you to. Or you could do it with gratitude, that the Lord has enabled you to have a home and the skills to improve it. Only the third option gives glory to God.

HTH

Sally

Of course the small mundane things in life can give glory to God. Remember that He made us stewards of our lives and everything in them . We don’t own them , He does . When we take good care of ourselves, our families, our possessions, we are actually being faithful stewards of His property. Read the parables of the talents, and the faithful servants. As Christ said, we are to be responsible in the little things, and He will put us in charge of many things.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.