1 Corinthians 11:27-30

I am not well read on the Bible (one of many Catholics guilty of this), so I bought a Catholic Bible yesterday from Barnes & Noble (the New Revised Standard Edition). I was browsing through 1 Corinthians when I fell upon Paul’s take on eating the Lord’s Supper unworthily. These are his exact words:

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord. Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For all who eat and drink without discerning the body eat and drink judgement against themselves. For this reason many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.

If the Eucharist was merely a symbolic gesture to remember Jesus Christ, I highly doubt Paul would have felt so strongly on this subject. What say everyone else?

Well I’d say you are correct! :D:thumbsup:

I agree. Also, look at John 6 where it says take and eat, this is my body. If you read down further, you see that many couldn’t believe this and turned away. Funny how I never saw these verses as a former protestant.

=RollTide1987;12646669]I am not well read on the Bible (one of many Catholics guilty of this), so I bought a Catholic Bible yesterday from Barnes & Noble (the New Revised Standard Edition). I was browsing through 1 Corinthians when I fell upon Paul’s take on eating the Lord’s Supper unworthily. These are his exact words:

If the Eucharist was merely a symbolic gesture to remember Jesus Christ, I highly doubt Paul would have felt so strongly on this subject. What say everyone else?

MY REPLY

=RollTide1987;12646669]I am not well read on the Bible (one of many Catholics guilty of this), so I bought a Catholic Bible yesterday from Barnes & Noble (the New Revised Standard Edition). I was browsing through 1 Corinthians when I fell upon Paul’s take on eating the Lord’s Supper unworthily. These are his exact words:

1st Cor 11:23-30
“For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me.
For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord”

I LOVE THIS TEACHING!

My friend in is the Holy Spirit offering you grace that led you to this discovery; one which those outside the Catholic Church seem to avoid.

In sequence, before one finds these self-condemning words of Paul, one encounters the testimony of FOUR other authors of the Bible, and of course that of Jesus Himself.

**Mt. 26: 26-28 **“And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. This is my body. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. For this is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many unto remission of sins.”

Mk. 14: 22-24 “And whilst they were eating, Jesus took bread; and blessing, broke, and gave to them, and said: Take ye. This is my body. And having taken the chalice, giving thanks, he gave it to them. And they all drank of it. And he said to them: This is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many.”

**Lk.22: 17-20 **“And having taken the chalice, he gave thanks, and said: Take, and divide it among you: For I say to you, that I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, till the kingdom of God come. And taking bread, he gave thanks, and brake; and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this for a commemoration of me “

& John All of Chapter; here are vrs. 6: 43-59 “Jesus therefore answered, and said to them: Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father, who hath sent me, draw him; and I will raise him up in the last day. It is written in the prophets: And they shall all be taught of God. Every one that hath heard of the Father, and hath learned, cometh to me. Not that any man hath seen the Father; but he who is of God, he hath seen the Father. Amen, amen I say unto you: He that believeth in me, hath everlasting life.** I am the bread of life.** Your fathers did eat manna in the desert, and are dead. This is the bread which cometh down from heaven; that if any man eat of it, he may not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

***For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. ***He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead. He that eateth this bread, shall live forever.”

So we have Five inspired by God, Bible authors Testimony and the promise of Jesus Himself. One can ask how Christ could have been more precise or explicit. And yet the degree of misunderstanding both within our Church and outside Her teachings is amazing.

If ever there was evidence of God’s Grace being NEEDED for right understanding; this dear friend is a prime example. Our God is a God of Mystery. Amen

This is WHY we all must know well our faith so that we too can sahre its beauty and truth.

God Bless you,

Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.