1 Corinthians 11: 32

1 Corinthians Chapter 11 Verse 32 states:
but when we are judged by the Lord, we are corrected by the Lord to save us from being condemned along with the world.

Please explain.

In the broader context of 1 Co 11, St. Paul seems to be saying that we should examine ourselves, “judge” ourselves, repent and correct our lives by the teaching of Christ, the standard of Christ. I think that is what is meant here, that we use God’s standard to purify our lives. That is the only way that I think that Christ judges us in our lives, in time, before we enter eternity.

The Lord has corrected my conscience many times, and given me the grace of repentance. Without His grace I am lost.

Could you tell us what your understanding is, so that we may know where to start? It sometimes happens that the OP feels that we are condescending (or stating the obvious) when we start from scratch.

Looking at the whole passage, 1 Corinthians 11:17-34, it appears that Paul is scolding some members of the Christian congregation of Corinth for receiving the Eucharist unworthily. In verses 27-32 we read that those who receive unworthily will be judged and disciplined (corrected, chastened). Verse 32 adds that this discipline (correction, chastisement) is God’s act of mercy, so that the faithful may not be condemned.

There is an interesting footnote in the New American Bible which points out the wordplay in the original Greek:
11:29–32 Judgment: there is a series of wordplays in these verses that would be awkward to translate literally into English; it includes all the references to judgment (krima, 1 Cor 11:29, 34; krinō, 1 Cor 11:31, 32) discernment (diakrinō, 1 Cor 11:29, 31), and condemnation (katakrinō, 1 Cor 11:32). The judgment is concretely described as the illness, infirmity, and death that have visited the community. These are signs that the power of Jesus’ death is not yet completely recognized and experienced. Yet even the judgment incurred is an expression of God’s concern; it is a medicinal measure meant to rescue us from condemnation with God’s enemies.
Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians is full of wordplay, and I gather that the Greeks in those days appreciated this. Paul adapted his writing style to his various target audiences (compare, for example, Hebrews and 1 Corinthians).

But this verse suggests the correction comes when God judges us, not before…??

This is interesting.

That is how I understand the verse.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.