1 corinthians 11

7 A man ought not to cover his head,** since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man**. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16** If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God**.

What is the Catholic interpretation of this? The bolded, especially. I know that women are not required to cover their heads now in the Church, so I wonder why this passage seem so strongly against that. Some conservative Catholics still use this passage to show that the priests are wrong. Many thanks in advance.

I have read the Bible cover to cover, and the New Testament a few times. I don’t know, but it seems to be that it may have had more to do with discipline than dogma. Keep in mind that many sola scriptura folks don’t seem to be too worried about this (and vice versa, some believe this MUST be followed to the letter). I am Catholic, and I trust the Church’s decision on the issue. THAT said, I have no problem with women veiling in church.

This is one of the reasons I left evangelical Protestantism. If they truly believed in “sola scriptura”, women in protestant churches would all be required to cover their heads. But in all the protestant churches I visited, even the conservative ones, I never saw this enforced.

Yep, that’s why I appeal to the authority of the Church

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.