1 Corinthians 15:5

“and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve”

How could Jesus appear to the twelve when Judas was dead and Mathias had not yet been elected?

The way I heard it explained (by Jimmy Akin I think) was that “the twelve” was a “group” name, used to distinguish the apostles specifically called by Jesus from the other disciples. After 3 years of referring to the group as “the twelve” it would be automatic, even though the number wasn’t exactly right.

There are multiple possible answers:

(1) The “Cephas” here might not be Peter.
(2) The appearing to the twelve might be after they elected Mathias.
(3) The “twelve” might be just a group name.
(4) Some other plausible answer.

[quote="seagal, post:2, topic:326498"]
The way I heard it explained (by Jimmy Akin I think) was that "the twelve" was a "group" name, used to distinguish the apostles specifically called by Jesus from the other disciples. After 3 years of referring to the group as "the twelve" it would be automatic, even though the number wasn't exactly right.

[/quote]

That is correct. The authors make extensive use of the phrase "The twelve" to indicate that the text is referring to Jesus' inner circle.

**Then one of the twelve*, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests... (Matthew 26:14)

And he entered Jerusalem, and went into the temple; and when he had looked round at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve. (Mark 11:11)

*And the twelve **summoned the body of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. (Acts 6:2)

John doesn't even use the word "Apostle" in his Gospel.

-Tim-

I have noticed that the Douay-Rheims is the only Bible that says eleven and not twelve.

1 Corinthians 15:5Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

5 And that he was seen by Cephas; and after that by the eleven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.