1 corinthians 5:11 and judgement

I was wondering how to approach 1 corinthians 5:11 as it says we should not associate with christians who act in sinful ways. my question is though didn’t christ tell us do not judge or you will be judged? and also wouldnt it be a bit hypocritical for us to judge and reject a christian person based on their sin because as christians we are sinners ourselves who too are in need of reconciliation?

I only ask this because i find it hard to see how rejection could lead to repentance rather than being with someone to help them overcome their sin

thanks in advanced

Read Mt 18:15-18 and then tell me.... Are we NEVER to judge under ANY circumstances?

Peace
James

Thanks for that!

I completely forgot this verse, however i still wonder though whether the verse applies to those who are struggling with sin. like should we reject people genuinely trying to overcome it?

Or do you believe that this verse is referring to those who call themselves christian but don’t really care what that means and they feel they can do whatever they like?

God bless

[quote="james_neville, post:3, topic:314012"]
Thanks for that!

I completely forgot this verse, however i still wonder though whether the verse applies to those who are struggling with sin. like should we reject people genuinely trying to overcome it?

Or do you believe that this verse is referring to those who call themselves christian but don't really care what that means and they feel they can do whatever they like?

God bless

[/quote]

I think we can still love them as Christ commanded but reframe from associating ourselves with them. If you hang out with people who live in their sin rather than repenting and trying to walk away from it, it will rub off onto you in a way.

For example: I have a wonderful friend who would give you the shirt off his back when sober. When he drinks, which is often, he pretty much becomes a different person. If I hang out with him while he is drinking, then people we assume I agree with what he is doing. I love and pray for him but told him I will not be around him when he acts in that manner. I am showing him my objection to the way he lives.

The passage is quite clear…IF the person FAILS to repent…Then disassociate with them.

Those who are genuinely trying to overcome sin are a different matter altogether. We are ALL trying to overcome sin.

Peace
James

We have to judge others actions to make a decisions. The bible means don't judge them by thinking bad about them. If it is clear that they are in sin and have intention of repenting stay away from them lest you fall into sin to.

[quote="james_neville, post:1, topic:314012"]
I was wondering how to approach 1 corinthians 5:11 as it says we should not associate with christians who act in sinful ways. my question is though didn't christ tell us do not judge or you will be judged? and also wouldnt it be a bit hypocritical for us to judge and reject a christian person based on their sin because as christians we are sinners ourselves who too are in need of reconciliation?

I only ask this because i find it hard to see how rejection could lead to repentance rather than being with someone to help them overcome their sin

thanks in advanced

[/quote]

Paul is referring to a specific abuse here that needs to be taken care of. He is not talking about this in a general way. When Jesus refers to not judging we must be careful in saying we are never to judge. What Jesus is concern about and warning us is the often to mistake in judging wrongly. However if one is judging correctly then what is the matter with that. Look for instance to the episode St. Maria Faustina had when a sister incorrectly judged her and she complained to the Lord about it. He simply said to her why listen to her. This person He said has a low opinion about herself so how can she have a correct opinion about anyone else. The Lord is pointing to the fact that unless we are an authority on ourselves our judgments are useless.

If you check back to Corinthians you will notice when Paul says not to associate with people living with immoral lives he says it was not to mean with all the people who are in the world living sexual immoral lives for that would mean you will have to withdraw from the world altogether. He is referring only to a specific case here that a brother christian is involve in. He is concerned because there is nothing done about it and when this brother comes to Holy Communion it is wrong for him to do so since his sin is rightly known by all. In this case the community or the Church has the right to pronounce judgment.

I take a conservative understanding of Corinthians and Matthew in this regard. Paul was referring to an individual involved in a great scandal. So I think this is in relation to persons excommunicated, and this is meant to bring the person to repentance. If we were to avoid all sinners, how could we be alone with our sinful self?

It seems like it means Christians who are totally unrepentant. Somebody can call them self a Christian or Catholic but not actually follow any of God's teachings. I think that's what it means. Steer clear of people who actively, shamelessly participate in bad things. Because they'll likely try to bring you into it, too.

In today’s world I would say liberal Catholics who want the church to change its moral teachings on abortion etc. I don’t know how but you might possibly begin to agree with some of their ideas. I think we all know the people and places we should avoid if your honest with yourself.We must hold fast to the faith.I think its people who would have us change our perception of our faith.Just as I believe Paul was speaking of people holding to the old laws of purification from sin and preaching it to the people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.