1. John 4:3 Translation

Dear sisters and brothers in Christ,

I am wondering about the correct translation of a particular Bible verse, 1. John 4:3, as found in Newadvent.org:

καὶ πᾶν πνεῦμα ὃ μὴ ὁμολογεῖ τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ οὐκ ἔστιν: καὶ τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ τοῦ ἀντιχρίστου, ὃ ἀκηκόατε ὅτι ἔρχεται, καὶ νῦν ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ ἐστὶν ἤδη.

and no spirit which would disunite Jesus comes from God. This is the power of Antichrist, whose coming you have been told to expect; now you must know that he is here in the world already.

et omnis spiritus qui solvit Jesum, ex Deo non est, et hic est antichristus, de quo audistis quoniam venit, et nunc jam in mundo est.

The English and Latin quotations seem to imply that the Antichrist was in the world 2000 years ago already. The English version says that “he” is in the world already, referring to a person, instead of saying that “it” is in the world already, referring to the “power of Antichrist”. Certain other Bible translations say it is the “spirit of the Antichrist” that is in the world. Therefore, I would like to ask if anyone here is fluent enough with the Greek original to give an accurate translation.

John is not speaking of one single entity when he speaks of an Antichrist, but of the many who follow Satan rather than God.

Well actually you are not far from the mark, the “Spirit” of the Antichrist has been roaming the Earth for a long time now and will continue to do so until the last confrontation when he will finally fully manifest himself only to be utterly and finally be defeated by Jesus, coming in glory at the end of times.

There are several verses that prove this point.

I John 2:18 Little sons, it is the last hour. And, as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have arrived.

I John 2:22 Who is a liar, other than he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This one is the Antichrist, who denies the Father and the Son.

The verse you are enquiring about:
I John 4:3 and every spirit who contradicts Jesus is not of God. And this one is the Antichrist, the one that you have heard is coming, and even now he is in the world

II John 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has arrived in the flesh. Such a one as this is a deceiver and an antichrist.

I was talking to this person at the soup
kitchen eating, and she/he actually DENIES
that Jesus Christ existed, “look at the
Census, Jesus Bar-Joseph was never
recorded… etc” I pity this person who is
blinded by the devil to disbelieve in the
One whom the Father called “my Beloved
Son” at His baptism!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.