1 Killed After Alleged Drunk Driver Plows Into Bike Race

A car driven by an alleged drunken driver plowed into a bicycle race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border Sunday, killing one cyclist and injuring 10 others.

| story |

A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Mañana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him.

He should have been lynched.
If he goes crying for help to the US consulate our gov’t should wash its hands of him.
Here he would get off with “vehicular homicide”, I hope the laws are stiffer in Mexico.

How about if we pray for him and the victims instead?

Yes, Lord have mercy, how sad.:signofcross:

I have no sympathy for the dirver but I have a lot of emapthy. In my drinking days i often drove drunk-in fact I had occassions when I would wake up and not even remeber driving home. But for the grace of God I would have ended up like that driver.

We can pray for all of them and pray that this driver gets plenty of time in jail to reflect soberly upon his actions and repent. Justice and compassion are not mutually exclusive. Many drunks will not stop until law enforcement stops the madness for them or they kill themselves.

I used to be on patrol and then I worked many 100s of these cases for the government side as a lawyer. I think that most people would be surprised at the lack of remorse or reform among so many of the drunk drivers who were fighting to get away with their crime even when injuries or death occur. Personally, I was shocked at the attitudes. Sadly, I had to dismiss a number of cases when the driver managed to get drunk again and kill themselves in a wreck before the first hearing (less than 30 days from the initial arrest).

The record in our office for how fast someone was rearrested for drunk driving was literally less than 12 hours. The guy bonded out of jail after he sobered up. He went across the street and got drunk and then drove again before he got 2 miles from the jail. Thankfully, one of the many dozens of officers in the vicinity to testify at the courthouse saw him before he hurt anyone.

I pray that the driver near the border gets some help with his drinking but also that justice is served.

It is very bad drunkers driving a vehicles and doing accidents, It is very crusial problem we are facing that. My openion is governament ban the alcohol beverages and took strict action an that this issue.

Jobs.steve
california dui

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.