1 Maccabees 13:25-30

I was reading this passage in the Douay Rheims Bible and then checked it with the RSV-CE 2nd Ed Bible and sure it enough it says that Simon had seven pyramids set up for the tomb of Judas and Jonathan.

What does this mean?

Does this description have a different meaning than that of the Egyptian, Asian, and Meso-American pyramids?

I think they are the same–they were elaborate sepulchres or mausoleums. From what I’ve read, they were still standing and visible into the late 4th or early 5th century. Here is an article on the archeological history and current status:

3 Likes

Do the footnotes say anything?

Nada in either translation.

I’m wondering if there’s anyone here that’s competent in biblical languages, so they can read what it says in the original (New Advent says that the Church uses the Greek version, but it was probably originally written in Hebrew, which raises all kinds of questions)

Interesting article, I wish we had an illustration of some sort. :thinking:

I guess my question is why pyramids and columns if they were Jewish?

If I recall correctly the Alexandria version is the only surviving copy to date.

If I’m also not mistaken the Alexandrian canon is much older than the Hebrew that Jews and Protestants use.

Not sure, other than it was likely a popular style at the time. It seems it was a popular style in various unrelated cultures. For what it’s worth, the Haydock commentary has the following, referencing the Roman poet Lucan, saying they were just like the ones in Egypt:

Pyramids. In such the kings of Egypt were buried. (Lucan viii. 998.) — Simon enclosed the pyramids with porticoes, supported by pillars all of one piece of marble. Josephus and St. Jerome saw the sepulchres. (Calmet) — One was probably designed by Simon for himself. (Haydock)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.