1 Paralipomenon Ch22 V9 Question!

1 Paralipomenon question here. The Lord is speaking to David of the son he is to have; Solomon.

It says (V9):

" The son, that shall be born to thee, shall be a most quiet man: for I will make him rest from all his enemies round about: and therefore she shall be called Peaceble: and I will give peace and quietness to Israel all his days,
He shall build a house to my name, and he shall be a son to me, and I will be a father to him. and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever."

I wondered if anyone has any commentary on this? My first reaction was that the son is somehow in ‘rival’ to Jesus. That’s a bad way to put it, but I think you understand?
It terms that Solomon will rule over Israel forever?

Thanks!

1 Paralipomenon 22:9-10, also known as 1 Chronicles 22:9-10

The Lord did not tell David that Solomon would live forever, or occupy the throne forever. My understanding is that God established the throne or the kingship forever. Solomon was to be the first in a succession of kings of Israel. Later on (in the Book of Isaiah?) the Lord revealed that the succession would culminate in the kingship of Jesus Christ, who indeed reigns forever.

Next question: In what way was the throne or kingship established with Solomon? What about David, and Saul before him?

Haydock’s commentary on 1 Paralipomenon 22, here.

Thanks everyone- especially Tod

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.