1 Timothy 1:7

To paraphrase, this verse says God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and a SOUND MIND. What does this mean with respect to mental illness and depression?

Its been suggested to me that anyone suffering from depression or mentall illness is in a state of sin or making a choice to be depressed. Treatment for these things is giving in to the devil and just a crutch, a lack of trust in God. I just don't think this is right.

I'm interested in what the good folks here think of this verse and what exactly a "sound mind" might mean.

[quote="DebbieS, post:1, topic:322210"]
To paraphrase, this verse says God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and a SOUND MIND. What does this mean with respect to mental illness and depression?

Its been suggested to me that anyone suffering from depression or mentall illness is in a state of sin or making a choice to be depressed. Treatment for these things is giving in to the devil and just a crutch, a lack of trust in God. I just don't think this is right.

I'm interested in what the good folks here think of this verse and what exactly a "sound mind" might mean.

[/quote]

My goodness I had to endure this kind of stuff at a "full gospel" church for several years. The suggestion about seeking professional treatment is giving in to satan, a crutch or a lack of trust in God is just plain goofy. That would be like saying that seeking treatment for a physical disorder is a lack of trust in God. The old testament book of Sirach recommends seeking out a doctor along with prayer (See 38:1-14)

[/quote]

It simply means that anything other than a sound mind did not come from God. :thumbsup: It doesn't necessarily mean other conditions are a sin, just that it didn't come from God. And seeking help for it is NOT a sin.

Just to set things straight your verse is 2 Timothy 1:7

:slight_smile:

What you should take out of this verse is that it is the will of God that we be of sound mind. If we look at many other verses as well we see that it is the will of God that we have perfect health as well. Not just health but other things as well of course.

Mental illness and in fact any illness at all is part of how the devil and his demons afflict us. When anything is wrong with us then there's a demon involved somewhere along the line. It does not however, mean that 'the sick person is sick because they have sinned or their parents have sinned. The bible says curses can travel down to the 4th Generation.

When we sin we are, in the spiritual realm, obeying a demon who put the temptation there in the first place and hence doing their will or working for them. Remember God is Just. This sin gives the demonic the right to 'pay us the wages' for the sin. They are justified because of our sin to attack us further.

As we all know the wages of sin is death. It says when sin matures it brings forth death. Mental illness robs us of our enjoyment of life. keeping in line with what the bible says that the devil will kill steal and destroy our lives. Stealing life from us with premature deaths due to illnesses. One of the many ways.

Spiritual warfare, prayers and regular confession can enable us to stop the influence demons are allowed to have on us. God says we have a spirit of power. We can stop them giving us anything new and this is the easy part.

The harder part is getting healing. It requires a greater level of faith. Faith for healing. As with the reality of what Jesus did, God brings about victory not in spite of evil but through it. Evil has given us our illnesses and God can be victorious in any number of ways. One such way is through medical treatment. I believe one of the many ways God provides healing for us is through medical treatment.

Anyone teaching giving up your treatment as an act of faith is not walking with the spirit of God. Anyone who prays in Jesus' name and gets manifestations of miracles and healing wether insant or supernaturally fast will tell you to go back to your doctor and check on the condition and have the doctor to pronounce you well. If you want powerful prayers get your local Charismatic group to pray for you.

This is a lot to take in but it is how it works. (condensed versionn)

[/quote]

As my user name suggests, I am involved in mental health treatment. Depression/mental illness (including Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenioa) are severe illnesses which can be debilitating. Anyone suggesting that "treatment for these things is giving in to the devil and just a crutch" is extremely ignorant and naive.

=DebbieS;10596561]To paraphrase, this verse says God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and a SOUND MIND. What does this mean with respect to mental illness and depression?

Of ALL of the Created THINGS [BILLIONS OF THEM] only One' only man has the necessary attributes to rationalize; to choose to love or to choose to hate. These very same attributes [Gifts from God with a purpose] allow man ALONE to emumlate God.

We alone have a mind; intellect and freewill [WHICH IS ALL THE VERSE IS IMPLYING] and like our God these too are Spiriual Things.

John 4:23-24 "But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true adorers shall adore the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeketh such to adore him. God is a spirit; and they that adore him, must adore him in spirit and in truth"

Isa.43 Verses 7and 21: “every one who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." AND the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.”

This position lacks ALL charity; and therefore cannot possibiliy be from God. AMEN!

All crosses are EITHER 'From God" [imposed by]' or at least PERMITTED by God for two very specific reasons.

1. His POSSIBLE Glorification

2. That persons POSSIBLE sactification

*BOTH REQUIRE *
1. ACCEPTING THE CROSS

1. OFFERING IT UP TO GOD FOR EITHER ONES SELF OR SOMEONE ELSE

This is a signifiant form of sacrifice with the very high potemtial for Actual Grace

THAT SAID:

Any physical condition that CAN be improved upon OUGHT to seek to do so. Cures and assistance TOO ARE FROM God's mercy.:thumbsup:

This idea of "sin related suffering" is an OLD Jewish understanding of God's "justice" W/O factoring in God;s Love and Mercy. If this HAD ANY TRUTH Oboma and those Democrats who support them espeically the one still choosing to give themselves the tilte of "catholic":bigyikes::banghead: would be incompaciated.

'Sound mind" means the ability to think and to freely choose.

Ecclesiasticus 15:18 "Before man is life and death, good and evil, that which he shall choose shall be given him"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.