$10,000,000...what!

Guess what…I just found out that my stbx just signed a new contract for 5 years that’s worth over $10 million:bigyikes: :bigyikes: :nope:!!! Can you believe that:rolleyes:? I was told that he will be earning $2.5 million a year…I tell you, how does this happen???

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the guy…you know good for him, but how can a person that behaves the way he does, lives the way he does be rewarded in such a manner:confused:? I mean, it’s beyond me, if he were doing something good with it and himself then I don’t think it’d be such a big deal. Unfortunately, it’s just more money to feed his vices and, unless he repents, to aid in his downward spiral:dts:, I just don’t get it.

Can anyone explain how immensely immoral people get it so easy in this life…please?

stbx ??

Help this old grandpa out… what is an stbx?

Sorry…Soon To Be Ex (Husband).

Can you get some sort of adjustment of whatever property might have been settled on you during the divorce, in view of his suddenly increased earnings?

As for why - well, God loves your stbx who is His child, and as scripture says, rains on the just and unjust alike.

We’re days away from a final agreement, to try and fight to get more would probably take another year…I’m not sure it would be worth it. Besides, he can be fired at any time with or without cause, be given $750,000 and can’t work in radio for a year…so it’s not really guaranteed…as a matter of fact he just got suspended for 30 days:rolleyes:.

I wonder sometimes…if some things come from some place else and not God:shrug:.

Who knows what the next life (eternity) will bring. That’s the one I want to be wonderful!

If I understand the subtext of the original post, the poster is in process of divorcing someone who now has an income in seven figures. I hope her attorney is cognizant of this new development.

Matthew

I agree with Matthew…his new income might change any child support for your son.

Your lawyer should know this new development.

It’s an old question -

1 Truly God is good to the upright, to those who are pure in heart. * 2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had well nigh slipped. 3 For I was envious of the arrogant, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. 4 For they have no pangs; their bodies are sound and sleek. 5 They are not in trouble as other men are; they are not stricken like other men. 6 Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them as a garment. 7 Their eyes swell out with fatness, their hearts overflow with follies. 8 They scoff and speak with malice; loftily they threaten oppression. 9 They set their mouths against the heavens, and their tongue struts through the earth. 10 Therefore the people turn and praise them; * and find no fault in them. * 11 And they say, “How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?” 12 Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches. 13 All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence. 14 For all the day long I have been stricken, and chastened every morning. 15 If I had said, “I will speak thus,” I would have been untrue to the generation of thy children. 16 But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, 17 until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end. 18 Truly thou dost set them in slippery places; thou dost make them fall to ruin. 19 How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors! 20 They are* like a dream when one awakes, on awaking you despise their phantoms. 21 When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, 22 I was stupid and ignorant, I was like a beast toward thee. 23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee; thou dost hold my right hand. 24 Thou dost guide me with thy counsel, and afterward thou wilt receive me to glory. * 25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is nothing upon earth that I desire besides thee. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength* of my heart and my portion for ever. 27 For lo, those who are far from thee shall perish; thou dost put an end to those who are false to thee. 28 But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all thy works.

Psalm 73

As long as he’s earning that much, your son is entitled to part of it.

It can be so hard financially being a single mother. I know first hand. Your lawyer should be getting some of this income for your son. If stbx loses the job, support can be adjusted. But your son deserves it, and it’s enough that you could probably put some away in case stbx loses the job.

two words… child support! It is based on a percentage of current income…

I agree with you, finally getting your divorce over and done with and moving on with your life should be your focus. I’m sure the needs of you and your child are going to be met with the agreement you’ve worked out. It just isn’t worth the delay to make it be all about money. Let him be burdened with it.

Child support is not a static calculation and can be revisited and adjusted (up or down) based on a change in circumstances. The fact of the father’s new contract should be brought to the court’s attention and be a factor in its determination of support regardless of where you are in “the process” or how long you have been at it. The focus is necessarily on the best interests of the child in making sure he shares as fully and reasonably as possible in the resources and financial means of the parent who is **obligated **legally and morally to support him.

For the market and medium in which your STBX is employed, his income is competitive and sustainable. He clearly has a track record of success in this business or he wouldn’t be able to command these contracts. It’s your job to make sure the only legitimate child he ever had gets a share of this before the golddiggers start crowding in!!

The age-old saying goes that money can’t buy happiness. And it’s true.

Is getting a lot of money really a blessing?

True happiness - or should we say fulfillment - is found through the way of the Lord. Through Him alone is there peace and satisfaction, rich or poor.

Give me a simple and righteous life, with the genuine love of others. That is worth more than 10 million or a 100 million. It is worth more than all the wealth that has ever been.

I am reminded of Christ and the rich man:

In continuing to be faithful to God and to be a loving mother to your son, you shall receive true blessings. It would be better for your stbx that he were penniless and had the true wealth of faith. The same goes for any other person who lives apart from the Lord’s truth.

May the Lord give you and your son an ever growing faith and peace in Him, Lexee.

The world is immoral, and rewards ‘its own’, I guess.

But as others above have pointed out, God allows rain to fall on the just and unjust alike.

If someone is immoral, then the amount of money they have just changes the avenues down which the immorality flows, but not the corruption that drives it.

Even with $1000 million, your ‘stbx’ would still be infinitely poorer than you, since you know God, and he lives blindly.

I’ll second this. He may be doing well in material terms, but I’m willing to bet he’s not doing so well spiritually. :frowning: And that is the most important aspect of a person.

I agree with Magic, and pumpkin. I think that often times, people who are handsomely rewarded financially on this earth, are serving a ‘god’ that is not our God. They are idol worshipping…chasing material wealth, as opposed to worshipping God. Now, a person who works hard should be rewarded, but it is not wrong to question…why does God allow for someone who is immoral to be rewarded on this earth? I have been reading this book lately about the Enron situation…wow, the entire mgmt team chased material wealth and gain for themselves, and could care less about the company, it seemed. It went on for 10 years…top mgmt getting obscenely wealthy, and then finally the collapse of Enron. People who chase material gain and nothing more in this life, will reap what they sow.

Right now Lexee, you are still hurting from what your husband did to you–I see it when I read some of your posts. It’s understandable, and will take time to heal from. But, some day, you will have no question it, and will wish him great fortune. But, in the meantime, pray that your heart will heal from the situation you had with your stbx (I like that acronym btw:D ) and know that you are moving on with your life. I know it’s hard to not feel anxiety when thinking of his good fortune, from what he has done to you, but I would absolutely seek out a lawyer. How did you find this info out? Did he share it with you?

As my pastor says when the skylights in the church leak, “Scripture states it rains on the just and the unjust, and here at St. New Parish, we take that literally.” :wink:

I would still tell my attorney. Child support is usually based on percentage (In Illinois, it is 20% for one child). SCROLL DOWN You can go back and visit changes after the divorce is final, as well. You don’t need to hold things up. You do not know the details of his contract. He could have a contract like what-his-name who is now on WTTW had with WFLD. He got canned, but WFLD had to honor the contract. And let’s face it, STBX has lied to you before this, more than once.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.