10,000 dollar grant for Christian police who believe prayer can cut crime

independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/16310000-grant-for-christian-police-who-believe-prayer-can-cut-crime-1882554.html

Granted, this falls under christian news and not specifically catholic news. Since it is not secular news, it seems to fit best here.

Does anyone feel "circumstantial evidence" warrants funds to go to such a thing? And, if so would you support this kind of thing happening in the US? Especially if your church was not in control of the operation?

I dont see how such a disbursement of public funds would fly in the USA, but I can't argue against the idea of Christians choosing to pray daily for a particular policeman in their cities, or anything similar.

We DO have freedom of religious exercise in the USA.

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:2, topic:185414"]
I dont see how such a disbursement of public funds would fly in the USA, but I can't argue against the idea of Christians choosing to pray daily for a particular policeman in their cities, or anything similar.

We DO have freedom of religious exercise in the USA.

[/quote]

That is beside the point. How about tax dollars going to funding it? And again, let's say it's not your church in charge.

When did praying and christian beliefs fall under secular news anyway?

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:3, topic:185414"]
That is beside the point. How about tax dollars going to funding it? And again, let's say it's not your church in charge.

When did praying and christian beliefs fall under secular news anyway?

[/quote]

There is nothing unconstitutional about using funding for such a project. As long as it wasn't establishing an individual denomination/religion, it isn't a problem. For example, the funding could go to various Christian churches, Catholic Churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.

Regardless, I think the ACLU-types would be up-in-arms about it. There are a lot of people who consider this a breach of the fictitious "wall of separation" of Church and State.

[quote="rlg94086, post:4, topic:185414"]
There is nothing unconstitutional about using funding for such a project. As long as it wasn't establishing an individual denomination/religion, it isn't a problem. For example, the funding could go to various Christian churches, Catholic Churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.

Regardless, I think the ACLU-types would be up-in-arms about it. There are a lot of people who consider this a breach of the fictitious "wall of separation" of Church and State.

[/quote]

That is not what is happening with this money, just read the article rlg94o86.

It's not being split up amoung thiests.

Let's say there is the same amount of "circumstantial evidence" that Richard Dawkins fans can get crime reduced by reading his book.

Would you be game then?

By the way, since when did praying cost money? I thought those simony days were gone now?

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:5, topic:185414"]
That is not what is happening with this money, just read the article rlg94o86.

It's not being split up amoung thiests.

Let's say there is the same amount of "circumstantial evidence" that Richard Dawkins fans can get crime reduced by reading his book.

Would you be game then?

By the way, since when did praying cost money? I thought those simony days were gone now?

[/quote]

I gave you my thoughts regarding the US. I could care less what they do with their money in the UK. "What if" games are tiresome and pointless. What is the british saying? If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a happy Christmas. ...or something like that. :p

If you could care less what is happening in the UK, aren’t you saying that they are of no concern to you?

How does that fit in with your theology, or does it pose any conflict for you to not care what happens to people outside of the national boundry you live in?

And, when you can pose a defense of this practice please do so. You have not done so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.