10 commandments for the scrupulous

Hi there just wondering, if one is scrupulous, do the 10 commandments for the scrupulous composed by Fr. Don Miller, bind under pain of sin?? :o

[quote="seanom, post:1, topic:316437"]
Hi there just wondering, if one is scrupulous, do the 10 commandments for the scrupulous composed by Fr. Don Miller, bind under pain of sin?? :o

[/quote]

I don't believe they are all binding under pain of sin. One of them is, for example, "You shall not confess doubtful sins in confession, but only sins that are clear and certain." This can be helpful and freeing for someone who is suffering from scrupulosity, but it would not be sinful to confess something that you were unsure about. However, there's also no sin at all at not confessing a doubtful sin, and it might very well be prudent for certain people.

A person who struggles with scrupulosity or scruples to various degrees should to have a regular confessor who can direct them in their particular difficulties.

Of course they aren't. They're very helpful guidelines and suggestions, but they're not religiously binding.

The irony of making a list of suggestions for the scrupulous is that they then get scrupulous over your suggestions...lol

In case it makes you feel less embarrassed - I had asked myself about this before as well ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.