10 Gifts not to buy your wife

Jim Killam wrote a wonderful article in Christianity today with tips for guys who are shopping for a Christmas gift for their wife…I think it’s a great read…What do you think?
christianitytoday.com/mp/2005/004/2.42.html

I think the winner in that group of offerings was the toilet seat! :eek: :rotfl:

My own dh bought me heavy duty Tasmanian Devil socks one year. I cried buckets and he promised he’d shop earlier than Christmas Eve and get me something truly special next year. But, did he do that? No! Next Christmas I got another pair of heavy duty socks with the logo for some sports team–not even our home state! Needless to say, he was banished from my affections for quite some time. He’s finally learned his lesson, though. I told him if it isn’t feminine, smells good or sparkles or is pretty, not to bother–but he’s still clueless, bless him. I’d rather go shopping after Christmas than cry all through Christmas Day. It makes the ham go soggy. :stuck_out_tongue:

My wife heads me off at the pass. She simply buys what she wants, tells me what I got her for Christmas, and saves me the trouble of picking out the wrong gift. This year, of course, I did help pick the gift out. We bought each other a house!

Waterford crystal makes several lovely crosses, lidded boxes, angels, etc. for around $100 each. Many places will ship tax and shipping free, especially from Ireland. And you can even begin collecting a set of stemware or candlesticks. That way, the DH will have something easy to remember year after year. Waterford is an elegant, easy, and special gift that anyone can buy on-line or in a department store. It is lovely forever. The “Standing Cross” is my favorite. Click on this link to see a picture.

crystalclassics.com/waterford/religious/cross.htm

I need to add to the list:

slippers
slippers
slippers
speed loader for my revolver
slippers
slippers

Seriously, my husband has given me slippers for Christmas for years, and I beg him year after year to NOT give me slippers. I wear socks instead – I HATE slippers! Last year he took my teen-age son Christmas shopping for me, and I told my son NO SLIPPERS. When they arrived home my son took me aside and said quietly, “Mama, act happy when you open the slippers.”

And the speed loader? That’s another story entirely…

'thann

My Dad was so happy when I got old enough to go shopping for Mom.

Even though he had left us, my mother never prevented him access to his kids or his Catholic Family. So he spent every Christmas Holiday with us. He was so glad when I got to the age where I was driving and shopping - until he realized that it meant handing me his credit card and letting me go to the mall.

Needless to say, my mother received many years of very nice, very expensive gifts ‘from Dad’.

:rotfl:

Opps! Waterford is a gift TO buy your wife. Not to avoid buying. I’ve been at the computer for too long.

I’d take the down-filled, full-length magenta coat- but I love pink.

One year, Hubby relied on our then college-aged daughter, who was miffed at me. I received dish towels and glassware. WAS NOT HAPPY, LET ME TELL YOU.:eek:

[quote=Cupofkindness]Opps! Waterford is a gift TO buy your wife. Not to avoid buying. I’ve been at the computer for too long.
[/quote]

I love Waterford Crystal! My husband has given me a Waterford Crystal Christmas ornament every year since we got married as an anniversary present (we got married on Dec 23rd). I just bookmarked the page and told him “something from here, please”. He is happy with the arrangement because he hates shopping, knows he can’t go wrong and they are so beautiful!
The Christmas before we got married, he gave me a hotwater bottle!!! For Christmas we stick to practical presents that we pick out together.

crystalclassics.com/cmas/cmasitems.htm

Gearoidin

I actually did get a toilet seat for mother’s day one year, I was supposed to be excited because it was padded. Now everytime we move, my first mother’s day I always get a new padded toilet seat for the new throne. Ah, family traditions.

I used to get flowers form DH for every birthday until DD went away to college. Duh.

try not to get a bright red polyester caftan that would fit Mama Cass and Roseanne Barr with room leftover.

do not ever, ever run through Dillards and pick up those pre-packaged gift sets near the cosmetic and jewelry counters meant for last-minute shoppers. She has already seen them and knows exactly why you picked it up.

DH has already gotten me my Christmas present: a new radiator and power steering pump–for his car.

[quote=thann]I need to add to the list:

slippers
slippers
slippers
slippers
slippers

The speed loader is needed if he buys you more slippers right???:smiley:
[/quote]

slippers
slippers
slippers
slippers
slippers

Seriously, my husband has given me slippers for Christmas for years, and I beg him year after year to NOT give me slippers. I wear socks instead – I HATE slippers! Last year he took my teen-age son Christmas shopping for me, and I told my son NO SLIPPERS. When they arrived home my son took me aside and said quietly, “Mama, act happy when you open the slippers.”

'thann
[/quote]

:rotfl: that’s great. And every gal really needs a speed loader. I ask my husband for pajamas and slippers every Christmas. You can send yours my way. :smiley: This year I asked for nursing pajamas, though, so it might be an interesting Christmas morning…They are hard enough to find when you’re shopping for yourself.

I also wouldn’t mind a gift certificate from Coldwater Creek. I love those clothes.

slippers
slippers
slippers
slippers
slippers

'thann
[/quote]

My addition to the list is exercise equipment. I got that as a present from my fiance one year. :mad: We did not end up marrying. :wink: Interestingly, he gave me a pistol for my birthday one year and a speed loader for another. :smiley:

God’s blessings to you and the little one about to be born MooCowSteph!

Hey, one year I bought my wife snow tires…

I’d like to add to the list…

Do NOT buy her an ironing board cover, regardless of the “pretty flower print and she likes pretty flowers” thought.

Also… the Food Saver 500 is NOT considered a romantic gift. :tsktsk:

[quote=kmktexas]My addition to the list is exercise equipment. I got that as a present from my fiance one year. :mad: We did not end up marrying. :wink: Interestingly, he gave me a pistol for my birthday one year and a speed loader for another. :smiley:
[/quote]

A guy I was once engaged to gave me a push up bra and panty set. I thought that was really tacky. What a great way to say “I love you but you need a little help upstairs”. :smiley:

Thank goodness that relationship ended. Actually, I would advise against any type of clothing unless you are 100% sure of the size. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting it too small or too large. Either way is a lose-lose situation. My husband and I just go shopping together. He gets something that I wouldn’t normally let him buy and I get something that I would usually be too frugal to buy. This year he opted for a guitar. I am still trying to figure out what he is going to get me this year.

My wife must be the exception.

This year she asked for power tools. One Mother’s Day, I got her a fishing pole, tackle box, all the tackle she needed, and a note promising a fishing trip for just the two of us. She loved it. She even goes fishing by herself now, so I know she wasn’t just humoring me.

She has also asked for excersize equipment. You’re all right, I would never get a woman excersize stuff without being asked. That’s just asking for trouble.

To be honest, when it comes to clothes, if that’s what she wants, I make her show me exactly which piece of clothing and exactly which store. Otherwise I’d screw it up! I cannot be trusted with my fashion sense! :smiley:

Let’s face it, women are just better at knowing what their spouses would like. She never has to ask me what I would like. She’s never gotten me a gift I didn’t like.

By the way, what’s wrong with getting a speedloader? They are very handy, and everyone with a revolver needs one, right? :thumbsup:

[quote=pira114]My wife must be the exception.

This year she asked for power tools. One Mother’s Day, I got her a fishing pole, tackle box, all the tackle she needed, and a note promising a fishing trip for just the two of us. She loved it. She even goes fishing by herself now, so I know she wasn’t just humoring me.

She has also asked for excersize equipment. You’re all right, I would never get a woman excersize stuff without being asked. That’s just asking for trouble.

To be honest, when it comes to clothes, if that’s what she wants, I make her show me exactly which piece of clothing and exactly which store. Otherwise I’d screw it up! I cannot be trusted with my fashion sense! :smiley:

Let’s face it, women are just better at knowing what their spouses would like. She never has to ask me what I would like. She’s never gotten me a gift I didn’t like.

By the way, what’s wrong with getting a speedloader? They are very handy, and everyone with a revolver needs one, right? :thumbsup:
[/quote]

My husband is a philosophy professor. Aside from tools for electronics, we don’t him touch them (everybody still laughs about the time he tried to install a new tank set in the toilet without turning off the water first). He admits he knows very little about them. So, while I LOVE tools, I don’t him to go get them for me.

apparently every guy on our gift list wants a driml (spelling?) which is some kind of power tool with a bunch of attachments. failing that, a gift card for lowes or sears is always acceptable.

actually all 3 of our daughters agree the best gift they ever received was their “moving out of the house on my own” gift from their dad, a fully equipped tool box. they had already been taught how to change a tire, change oil, fix a leaky faucet or broken lamp etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.