10 Reasons to Love the Traditional Latin Mass

Hi, I want to share a small video that Una Voce Costa Rica produced a few months ago, sorry it is in Spanish, but I know some of you folks can understand most of the reasons and you can share with your Spanish speaking acquaintances:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3vqeZdb5Zg

Here are the text of the reasons in English (google translation, maybe you guys can help us polishing the translation so we can publish a English version of the video):

Reasons to Love the Traditional Latin Mass

1. Because it is the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar, where Christ is truly present and offers himself to the Father, renewing the central mystery of our salvation.

2. For over 1500 years the church held it and loved it with admirable zeal.

3. Because countless saints like St. Teresa of Avila, St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Theresa of the Child Jesus and Padre Pio loved it and sanctified themselves contemplating their treasures.

4. Because it represents an enormous treasure for the church, the culmination of Tradition and the highest expression of beauty and splendor of the liturgy. Heritage for catholics worldwide.

5. Because the Church never abolished its use and many communities continued celebrating it with love and respect.

6. Because Latin is not an obstacle, but a sign of catholicity which generates a deep sense of the Eucharistic Mystery-(John Paul II), with which men of every language and of all time participate with the same language in the liturgy.

7. For the priest does not give us his back, but pray with us to the Eternal Father, in the same position and at the same point, all facing the Lord.

8. For with the solemnity and sacredness of their prayers, gestures and rubrics, we are unequivocally incorporated into communion with the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ.

9. Because what earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us. (Benedict XVI)

10. Because the Holy Father Benedict XVI hopes that the universal Church preserve the precious treasure of the Traditional Mass and values as well as the Mass in the ordinary form.

Also it would be interesting to know your own top 10 reasons to love the Latin Mass…

In Domino…

Top 10 Reasons Why I Prefer the Ordinary Form (OF) of the Mass
Over the Extraordinary Form (EF) of the Mass
**It's in a Language I Can Understand
: While I certainly appreciate the Latin language, I do prefer to focus on the Mass in a truly serious manner which I cannot do when I must use a missalette to translate.

The Penitential Rite: Some suggest the EF has no PR, others suggest that function is filled by the celebrant and the server for the entire congregation. Either way I find it extremely cathartic for me to personally take part in the PR and humbling that everyone else present is also personally taking part in the PR.

Enlarged Reading Cycles: This goes without saying. The OF exposes the faithful to FAR more of the Bible with its three cycles. This may be the #1 reason why I prefer the OF -- greater exposure to God's word within the context of the Mass.

More Readings on Sundays: Again, this goes without saying. The readings from the OT and NT epistles, the sung responsorial Psalm and the proclaimed Gospel are a definite improvement of the EF offering.

Lay Readers: This is one area that I think involvement from the laity is a most positive addition to the Mass. To me it underscores the importance of reading and studying the Bible by all members of the Church.

Eucharistic Prayer Collection: The Roman Canon is still my favorite, but in no way is it optimal for all Masses given the other EPs that now exist. I appreciate how the OF allows a priest to pick the EF which best matches that day's Mass and his own homily.

Sign of Peace: An important and humbling yet joyous part of the Mass. When visiting celebrants employ it at the daily EWTN Mass, it fills a gap and makes a most positive contribution to the Mass.

Allowance of EMsHC: Until we are choke-full with an abundance of priests and deacons once again at all Masses, there are times where the allowance of EMsHC (in a non-abusive manner per the Church) is a good thing.

Receiving the Precious Blood from the Chalice: The improved sign value of receiving under both species in this matter is very important to me. Perhaps it makes me feel more like I am at the table?

The 46 approved Saturday Masses for the BVM: I REALLY appreciate these 46 individual Masses for the Blessed Virgin Mary (and their optional readings) that are approved for Saturdays.

Laetus: don't you think that belongs in its own thread? :confused:

Why derail this with the first reply? Plus, then we could discuss some of your more dubious points.

:popcorn:

Same for Ordinary Form of the Mass.

1. For over 1500 years the church held it and loved it with admirable zeal.

The Extraordinary Form of the Mass is from the 1962 Missal. This form was not mandated for the entire Roman Church until the Council of Trent. At best it is 500 years old.

1. Because countless saints like St. Teresa of Avila, St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Theresa of the Child Jesus and Padre Pio loved it and sanctified themselves contemplating their treasures.

St Teresa of Avila was a Carmelite so when a Carmelite was celebrating Mass for her communities it would have been the Carmelite Rite.

1. For the priest does not give us his back, but pray with us to the Eternal Father, in the same position and at the same point, all facing the Lord.

It is not that the priest is “facing the Lord” because the Eucharist is right before him. It is that he is facing East (or in some cases what is known as Liturgical East).

1. For with the solemnity and sacredness of their prayers, gestures and rubrics, we are unequivocally incorporated into communion with the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ.

This one seem to be a subjective evaluation of things, one could say the same about the Ordinary Form.

1. Because what earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us. (Benedict XVI)

So.

1. Because the Holy Father Benedict XVI hopes that the universal Church preserve the precious treasure of the Traditional Mass and values as well as the Mass in the ordinary form.

Is this even a reason?

It seems more like you are trying to pit the two forms against each other. Also as pointed out above many of the “facts” in your post get it wrong.

[quote="OraLabora, post:4, topic:286771"]

[/quote]

Oh hold on, I'll bring some more snacks...

:pizza::cake:

[quote="mattkubes, post:3, topic:286771"]
Laetus: don't you think that belongs in its own thread? :confused:

Why derail this with the first reply? Plus, then we could discuss some of your more dubious points.

[/quote]

Yes, starts something straight up. Better to be in a different thread.

[quote="Pablo_A, post:1, topic:286771"]
Hi, I want to share a small video that Una Voce Costa Rica produced a few months ago, sorry it is in Spanish, but I know some of you folks can understand most of the reasons and you can share with your Spanish speaking acquaintances:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3vqeZdb5Zg

Here are the text of the reasons in English (google translation, maybe you guys can help us polishing the translation so we can publish a English version of the video):

Reasons to Love the Traditional Latin Mass

1. Because it is the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar, where Christ is truly present and offers himself to the Father, renewing the central mystery of our salvation.

2. For over 1500 years the church held it and loved it with admirable zeal.

3. Because countless saints like St. Teresa of Avila, St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Theresa of the Child Jesus and Padre Pio loved it and sanctified themselves contemplating their treasures.

4. Because it represents an enormous treasure for the church, the culmination of Tradition and the highest expression of beauty and splendor of the liturgy. Heritage for catholics worldwide.

5. Because the Church never abolished its use and many communities continued celebrating it with love and respect.

6. Because Latin is not an obstacle, but a sign of catholicity which generates a deep sense of the Eucharistic Mystery-(John Paul II), with which men of every language and of all time participate with the same language in the liturgy.

7. For the priest does not give us his back, but pray with us to the Eternal Father, in the same position and at the same point, all facing the Lord.

8. For with the solemnity and sacredness of their prayers, gestures and rubrics, we are unequivocally incorporated into communion with the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ.

9. Because what earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us. (Benedict XVI)

10. Because the Holy Father Benedict XVI hopes that the universal Church preserve the precious treasure of the Traditional Mass and values as well as the Mass in the ordinary form.

Also it would be interesting to know your own top 10 reasons to love the Latin Mass...

In Domino...

[/quote]

Good video. Thanks

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:6, topic:286771"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ooo! Ooh! Cake! :p

[quote="OraLabora, post:4, topic:286771"]

[/quote]

:confused:

I can give you one reason why I love the OF and the EF...

They are both gifts to the Church, and sources of grace for the Church.

I LOVE the EF! I attended it today actually. However, we must realuze it is the EXTRAordinary form. Absolutely gorgeous with a wealth of prayers to the Triune God for Mercy and petition, adoration, and satisfaction. But, if we read the early writings on the mass by St. Justin Martyr we see it more closely resembles the OF. And Christ would have faced His Apostles during His Last Supper.

[/quote]

Yes, I think this is pretty much the only appropriate response to this thread. If it could be left simply as a place for those who love the EF to explain why, it could be a very interesting and informative thread, but at this point that, unfortunately, seems very unlikely. :(

[Edit: Since this thread got off on the wrong foot, I decided to try moving it to a new thread in the hopes that we can get an interesting charitable discussion going about it.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=9368008#post9368008

If anyone is interested in starting a fight, stay away from this new thread. Stay here and fight if you want to, but please allow those who are interested in a charitable interesting conversation about the EF their space to do so. Thank you.]

[/quote]

I'll get the fizzy drinks.

I notice, OP, that you referenced the Una Voce. as it was them who made the video.

Isn't the main goal of the Una Voce to promote the fact that the EF and OF can co-exist, as 1: the Ordinary Form, and 2: the Extraordinary Form?

[quote="ByzCath, post:5, topic:286771"]
Same for Ordinary Form of the Mass.

[/quote]

This is not an OF vs EF video, it was produced so catholics can get to know and love the EF. We met so many catholics that even despise the EF.

The Extraordinary Form of the Mass is from the 1962 Missal. This form was not mandated for the entire Roman Church until the Council of Trent. At best it is 500 years old.

[/quote]

"Essentially the Missal of Pius V is the Gregorian Sacramentary; that again is formed from the Gelasian book, which depends on the Leonine collection. We find the prayers of our Canon in the treatise de Sacramentis and allusions to it in the 4th century. So our Mass goes back, without essential change, to the age when it first developed out of the oldest liturgy of all. It is still redolent of that liturgy, of the days when Caesar ruled the world and thought he could stamp out the faith of Christ, when our fathers met together before dawn and sang a hymn to Christ as to a God. The final result of our inquiry is that, in spite of unsolved problems, in spite of later changes, there is not in Christendom another rite so venerable as ours." Adrian Fortescue, The Mass: A Study of the Roman Liturgy,

Even some Vatican officials have called it Gregorian (As Pope Gregory I) Mass

St Teresa of Avila was a Carmelite so when a Carmelite was celebrating Mass for her communities it would have been the Carmelite Rite.

[/quote]

Strictly speaking you are right, but as a child she went to the Roman rite Mass right?

It is not that the priest is "facing the Lord" because the Eucharist is right before him. It is that he is facing East (or in some cases what is known as Liturgical East).

[/quote]

I see your point, but what east represents? and It is still facing the Lord present in the tabernacle, or isn't? so technically it isn't wrong, see "Turning Towards the Lord" by Fr. Michael Lang

This one seem to be a subjective evaluation of things, one could say the same about the Ordinary Form.

[/quote]

Again, is not an OF vs EF video.

Is this even a reason?

[/quote]

Of course, we love the Holy Father very much...

It seems more like you are trying to pit the two forms against each other. Also as pointed out above many of the "facts" in your post get it wrong.

[/quote]

I'm sorry that this is the sense you get from the video, nothing could be more far away from our objective (see reason #10). We also love the OF very much, but everyday we face so many catholics (specially clergy) that see the EF as something evil for the church, at least in our country, still plagued with liberation theology stuff...

In Domino...

[quote="LoyalViews, post:13, topic:286771"]
I'll get the fizzy drinks.

I notice, OP, that you referenced the Una Voce. as it was them who made the video.

Isn't the main goal of the Una Voce to promote the fact that the EF and OF can co-exist, as 1: the Ordinary Form, and 2: the Extraordinary Form?

[/quote]

Of course!, this is not a OF vs EF type of thread, the second poster got it all wrong...

Here is another reason to love the Traditional Latin Mass. It has not been subject to much liturgical abuse by that "special" music director or liturgist at least in this period of time.

The ordinary form can include everything from liturgical dancers to a gaggle of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion.

Face it, the Latin Mass is attended by a population that is generally more reverent and obedient. Both masses are valid but if you are really tired of liturgical abuse the Tridentine Latin Mass can provide some relief.

THANKS!!!:thumbsup:

:highprayer:

Oremus.

Gee.

I thought this WASN’T an OF vs. EF thread?

Oh yeah,the Special music director…I know what you are talking about:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.