10 years go by fast

I just wanted to post and just ramble I guess a little bit. This week is the 10th anniversary of my Dad’s passing away.

Ten years go by so quickly. I’ve been thinking about him so much lately.

To me, my Dad was basically my hero. He was a gentle man, I don’t remember him getting mad too often. Yet, he had that “look” that meant “you better not do that”, that caused us to obey right away.

He was very simple, he didn’t have a chance to go to school. (He lived in Italy during world war II so his schooling was haphazard) yet he was so proud of me when I got good grades.

He was a very hard worker. One of his constant sayings was, “do it with your heart.” Everything, from cleaning the off the table to cooking to anything… His other saying that was on his lips was, “If God is willing” . Anything that he would project to do was prefaced with, “If God is willing” he would even say, “If God is willing, I’ll have a sandwich for lunch.” I remember being a silly teenager, and getting annoyed by that saying, telling him, “come on Daddy, why wouldn’t God want you to have a sandwich?” Well, I was silly, and I’m sorry.

Dad was really strict with us, (he just had daughters) so if we weren’t home when we were supposed to be, he would get into his car and look for us. He would give the “look” and we would go home.

No guy was good enough for us…which was a good thing. The only boyfriend that he tolerated was DH. Even though they only knew each other for a short while, DH turned out to be the son Dad never had.

Dad died suddenly, at work. He went into cardiac arrest. Some firefighters happened to be outside, they attempted to CPR, but he was DOA when he arrived at the hospital.

It’s been 10 years. My Dad would have just loved to be a Grandpa…but he didn’t get a chance to meet my kids.

So, thanks for reading my ramble. I miss him a great deal and it’s taken me a long time to accept his passing. If I could ask anyone who reads this for a short prayer for him and my family, I’d be really happy.

Thanks all.

What a lovely tribute to your father. :console: I can tell you miss him. I often have a Mass said for my parents on their birthdays or at the anniversary of their death.

Beautiful post.

DH lost his father early… it’s been almost 14 years since he passed… and I never got to meet him… and he never got to meet our boys. :frowning:

(((HUGS))) to you. He sounds like a wonderful father!

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father. My dad passed away 14 years ago today so I’m feeling rather teary myself. Let us pray that our fathers have found peace in Christ and that their daughters find comfort in remembering how blessed we were by these wonderful men.

Sending you my condolences. He sounds like a fine man, and you were blessed to have him as your father.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.