100% Belief?

I apologize for the vague subject, I don’t know how else to word it without going into detail…which I’ll try do here in the post.

Do you feel that you have to believe in 100% of a denomination’s beliefs to be considered really a part of your particular denomination? (I know Catholics don’t consider Catholocism a denomination, but I’m including it here just for the sake of the question)

For example, I’m Lutheran, so obviously there’s a little bit of the Catholic doctrine that I don’t agree with(very small bit), as well as Baptist etc. On the other hand, I can’t say that I agree with 100% of Lutheran doctrine either. In all, I’m more in line with the Lutheran church than any other, or else I wouldn’t be Lutheran. But does that make me not Lutheran? Or I guess a better question for this Catholic site, if I were to convert to Catholicism, and still not believe in EVERY piece of doctrine, would I “really” be Catholic?

I think anybody can say they’re 100% in agreement with their particular denomination, but I think some folks just say that because they’re supposed to, or because their particular denomination teaches so.

Staying faithful to your beliefs isn’t always easy of course, so I understand it can be a challenge all the time. But what about when it takes years(if ever) before someone totally agrees with one particular teaching? Wrong or right, it may not be an instant realization.

Thoughts?

Hrmm… The way you phrased your question is interesting… I smell bait… that said.

Yes I believe 100% what the Catholic Church teaches per the CCC, all my Catholic family (my parents and siblings and my in-laws) does as well. However don’t believe “Sister Mary-Wants Women Priests” idea of what the Church teaches.

Your are going to get some debate as to weather or not you “have” to believe a 100% of Church teaching to be Catholic. I think you do.

Perhaps this will help. It is how I look at it.

Some things you understand and accept. Jesus was born, lived, was crucified, died, and was burried.

Some things you may not understand but accept. The Trinity, for example.

Some things you may think you understand but do not accept. When this occures, you need to overrule your personal will and accept it anyway. ABC is the classic example of this for Catholics. You must conform your will to the laws of the Church.

The problem comes in when we try to force our will on the Church. It is God’s Church, not mine.

This is not an easy process. There are times that you will struggle. You will at times fail and at other times succeed in conforming your will to that of the Church.

Now, if you choose not to do this, you are moving against the Church and some would claim that you are no longer a member. I only go that far when someone tries to get others to go along with them OR they steadfastly and vocally refuse to see where the Church is coming from. The pro-choice people are like that.

Oops…When I go back and re-read my post…it does look like a baited question…but I promise I did not intend it to be! If I were to start pointing fingers, I’d certainly be a total hypocrite due to the fact that I admittingly don’t believe in 100% of my own denomination.

Thanks for pointing that out so I can clarify. :thumbsup:

Well I grew up non-denominational and the doctrines are very few, so it is easy to believe 100% of them.

Its something that depends very much on which denomination you are and how many set doctrines they hold.

I do not have some faith advantage cause I can believe 100% of what my Church teaches compared to say a Catholic believing 100% of what their church teaches, because they would have more to believe.

Very interesting take on it…I’ve never looked at it like that before. I guess that’s what makes it all so difficult for me. The more there is to understand, the more difficult it is to understand it all. Thanks for your comment

My sentiment is that if you get to the point of believing the Catholic Church is the true Church with the Spirit’s guarantee to teach doctrine infallibly, then to reject one of those doctrines would be to reject what the Church is.

No, but you should accpet the authority in which the belief is explained from and if you disagree obedience is still required.

Even when you accpet the authority and belief element (ex: masterbation is a sin) it may not always be easy to abide by. This is a personal indiscretion between you and God that remains between you and God. If you yourself believe it you would be unlikley to promote the behavior to others if you were in a position of authority to do so. I would bet most people have internal struggles with things everyday.

If you do not accept the belief element (ex: abortion) and are in a position of authority to influence others (politicians- teachers…) it is hypocritical for you to identify yourself under that belief system (ex Catholic) while promoting something against your stated belief. Either leave that belief system or maintain your silence and influence because it negatively affects those that remain in the belief system and maybe those you influence.

Amen amen

Protestants don’t have to, it wouldn’t make sense. If every person is supposed to interpret scripture for himself (a protestant belief) then why would you accept one denomination 100%?

Catholics believe that the Church is protected from error and teaches infallibly, so if we believe that, it makes sense that we believe in 100% of what it teaches. Why would anyone disagree with the Holy Spirit?

Protestants are not supposed to interpret scripture for ourselves. DO try to be informed and not make blanket false statements. Thanks.

Great explanation and I agree with you on this…

I just ask the question because I’m curious to see what other’s think. It’s one of those things I often think about but never really ask.

I think thats might be the first time I’ve ever heard a Protestant say that. Unfortunately, every other Protestant I’ve ever debated with believes he has the sole authority to interpret the bible.

I certainly don’t believe I have sole authority to interpret the bible, if I felt this way, I wouldn’t have any questions about scripture, it would all be crystal clear.

I think you misunderstood what the protestants you were debating were telling you.

This is one of the most charitable responses to an accusation that I have seen here. This was very kindly and humbly worded. Thank you. :slight_smile:

As to the topic of this thread, I do indeed try to believe everything the Catholic Church teaches. When I do not understand something I try to learn more.

Being a convert from atheism, I had to learn a great deal. While I was in RCIA, I would encounter many things that seemed odd or that flatly rejected. Among these were the Church teachings on the Immaculate Conception, abortion and contraception.

But instead of digging in my heals, I wanted to learn why the church taught these things. Once I better understood the why, agreeing with the Church followed naturally. Now I accept fully these. (To avoid any misunderstand I Believe the Blessed Virgin Mary was indeed conceived without sin, I am utterly opposed to abortion in all circumstances and reject completely the use any method of artificial birth control.)

I think for someone who came from my perspective, the real issue is not just agreeing or not agreeing with the Church. Rather it is having the courage and humility to realize that the Church may be wiser than I am.

I, also, am Lutheran, and I feel the same way. This is an interesting thread, Adam.

I think that the word “sole” is the issue. Most people feel taht they can read and understand scriptures but know the limitations that they have in interpreting them, so they defer to those with more training. There are protestants, and I know some, who feel that they have authority to interpret scriptures, but they are not the SOLE authority. Now, some of them will not admit it, but they think that they have final authority, as they pack their stuff and go when the interpretation hits too close to home.

Agreed…

Some folks think that since it’s the way THEY see it, it’s right. For me, knowing I’m nowhere close to being the sole authority on the subject, I have to question my own thoughts/beliefs as to why I think or believe the way I do. That’s the part I’m still trying to figure out…because I can certainly be wrong.

Could you tell us who, if anyone can? I am tempted to start a new thread…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.