100% Human 100% Divine and 0 sin?

The bible depicts Jesus as being 100% human, 100% Divine and 0% sin. My question is, is how could someone be human and not sin?

If my understanding of the bible is incorrect, feel free to correct it with what the bible actually says. Sometimes I misinterpret things.

Sin is not intrinsic to the human condition.

Well, it is NOW, after the Fall. But Adam and Eve were not compelled to sin. Neither are we, though concupscience makes it very likely. With the help of divine Grace, we can refrain from sin, and hope to obtain sanctity.

When the Word assumed a human nature, it was not a fallen human nature. Just as when Mary was conceived, she was conceived without original sin. (Through, need I add, the action of her Son’s saving power.)

Sin is an abuse of freedom. It’s a defect, which detracts from our humanity. For this reason, it could be said that Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary were *more *human than the rest of us.

I might add that the Catholic Church vews human nature, even after the Fall, as fallen (and prone to sin), but not totally depraved.

There are some varieties of Protestant theology that view human nature as essentially totally depraved, and incapable of ANY good action, even with the help of divine grace. So it is easy to see how, in that view, sin might be seen as essential to human nature. But it is not.

[quote=Vincent]Sin is an abuse of freedom. It’s a defect, which detracts from our humanity. For this reason, it could be said that Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary were *more *human than the rest of us.
[/quote]

Quite right. Not sinning is the only way to be authentically human.

– Mark L. Chance.

Only if we accept the heretical view that Christ had two persons(one divine and the other human) would sin be possible. But Jesus Christ has the person of the Divine Word only. His humanity is just a clothing He chose to wear when He willed to be born. Since His person is divine, though He has two natures, it is impossible for Him to commit sin. It is the person, not nature per se that is capable of sinning. Since His person is of the divine Word only, He cannot sin.

Gerry :slight_smile:

[quote=workinprogress8]The bible depicts Jesus as being 100% human, 100% Divine and 0% sin. My question is, is how could someone be human and not sin?

[/quote]

You don’t have to be divine to be sinless. God told Cain that he must master sin. I don’t believe God was telling Cain to do something that he could not do. Likewise, Jesus told the harlot to sin no more. It is possible for a human not to sin. In fact, it is God’s desire.

Thank you all for answering my question! :slight_smile:
Personally, it’s really hard to believe that Jesus was actually 100% divine and 100% Human… anyone else agree with me?
I’m not saying I don’t believe, because I surely do, I’m just saying it’s quite amazing!

Pope John Paul II puts it this way, Jesus Christ is “the human face of God and the divine face of man.”

Yeah, it’s a mystery, which is not something we can’t know *anything *about, but something we can’t know *everything *about.

[quote=workinprogress8]Thank you all for answering my question! :slight_smile:
Personally, it’s really hard to believe that Jesus was actually 100% divine and 100% Human… anyone else agree with me?
I’m not saying I don’t believe, because I surely do, I’m just saying it’s quite amazing!
[/quote]

It woudn’t really be difficult to accept if you would consider that Jesus has all the attributes of a human being and all the attributes proper to Godhood, just as we say that a horse is 100% mammal and 100% four-footed.

Peace

[quote=RobedWithLight]It woudn’t really be difficult to accept if you would consider that Jesus has all the attributes of a human being and all the attributes proper to Godhood, just as we say that a horse is 100% mammal and 100% four-footed.

Peace

[/quote]

That’s a really terrific way to think about it, thanks Gerry!

I love this part :slight_smile:

I think we all do. The difference is that we realize it, and that we have an infallible interpreter in the Magisterium. Such is the importance of interpretation within the living Tradition of the Church. I think others, especially the anti-Catholics should follow your humble lead. God bless.

I agree. Everyone of us here can and do make mistakes. The point is to accept our mistakes and learn from it. After all, we are all travellers in one great journey.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.