100 names..

:wave: What are the “100 names for Allah”?

I am curious for an accurate list since the one I looked at does not include “Love” or “Father”. A curious thing really- since I can not imagine two better words to use on such a list if one decides a list is indeed needed at all.
Thank you, I am sure you can clear this up for me.
Also, IMHO I think a limit to “100”names is so contrived. How can anyone limit God to a number that sounds “round” and “right”?
Hope everyone is filled with peace,
Thanks in advance!

**Please cite your source of information to verify accuracy.
***Just factual information on the above is all I am looking for.
****Is this list “official” and must all Muslims accept it?

If you wish to cite your favorite name off the list, feel free.

Mine is Jesus! Anyone else?

The idea that God is a Loving Father is blasphemous to Muslims. They do not use the term b/c it is used for humans and to them God could never be human but only Supreme Being.

[quote=Damascus] [FONT=Arial]I think a limit to “100”names is so contrived. How can anyone limit God to a number that sounds “round” and “right”?
[/quote]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Apparently, it’s 100 minus 1 names. According to this website, God is odd and He loves odd numbers:

[/FONT]“Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: ‘To God belongs 99 names, 100 minus 1, anyone who memorizes them will enter Paradise; He (God) is odd (odd number, he is the Only One), and He loves odd numbers (such as 99)’”

islamicity.com/Mosque/99names.htm

Odd indeed.

Cant anyone read this and see that it is not based on reason or intelligent thought?

Or is reason contrary to Islam?

Reason and Islam is a contradiction in terms.
Violence is synonymous with Islam!

Dear Thistle,

I hear you. But, this seemed like a good start for dialouge. Nothing really that controversial, just a telling thing about using (or not using in this case) reason in matters. Intelligent thought that can be explained. The common tactic Muslims use in any response to a Catholic is to attack the Trinity for not being “reasonable”.
I am asking Muslims here (and anyone else) to tell me where is any reason in this simple non-controversial item I put on the table. Its the least controversial thing I could come up with to discuss. I want to hear how reasonable it is to them WITHOUT them avoiding the question and going into a predictable tyrade about all that is “wrong” in the Catholic faith.
Just a simple question, looking for a simple answer. No debating the Catholic faith in the answer! I await a post, knowing it will never come.:slight_smile:

Some of the names, I find as a Christian, difficult to relate to. Here they are:

1. The Afflicter

2. The Avenger

3. The Delayer

4. The Withholder

5. The Abaser

6. The Humiliator

7. The Causer of Death

(They came out to a nice odd number - and specifically seven, to boot!)

Dear Eden,

Just remember there are 7 deadly sins!

Well, you bring up something here that I think needs elaboration. Are there any Muslims that care to tell us what they find reasonable about any of this?

As far as know…the 100th name of God is ununtterable…silence.

What is the purpose for so many Islamic names for their Allah?

Apparently the Muslims on this forum are silent as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly my point brother. Why? What is the purpose? What is the rational?
IF any?:confused:

Poppycock. I think this is telling. I missed this post somehow…

:thumbsup:

Pretty easy to find. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Names_of_God

We Christians have lots of different names for the different parts of the Trinity, as well, although they’re not usually listed: Alpha and Omega, Bridegroom, Father, Creator, Messiah, Prince of Peace, Son of God, Holy Immortal, Almighty, King of Kings, Lord of Hosts, the Christ…

In the name of Jesus, I offer you peace Lissla Lissar sister in Christ.

You forget something in your post. They do not have a Trinity.

They have Allah.

They also have 99 names for him.

There are more names than you listed here for Christ, let alone the persons of the Trinity.

Are you saying that it is reasonable to have a list of 99 names?

THis is my point. Your post neglects to address it.

Hello - OT plagues upon Egypt? Miriam’s leprosy? Zechariah’s dumbness?

1. The Avenger

‘Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord’?

‘How long, O Holy Lord … until you avenge our blood?’ (Revelations 6.10)

1. The Causer of Death

Noah’s flood anyone? The killing of every firstborn in Egypt? The drowning of Pharoah’s entire army in the Red Sea? Not to mention all the nations that the Israelites slew to gain their territories and the huge numbers of Israelites killed for David’s sin in taking a census?

If I had time I could probably find some basis for the others in the OT or the NT as well.

Shrug Lists don’t bother me. There is something artificial in the limiting of the names of Allah to 99, but it’s kind of interesting to see them all listed like that. I supposed they cover Allah’s attributes.

I am quite aware that Islam isn’t Trinitarian.

I am curious for an accurate list since the one I looked at does not include “Love” or “Father”. A curious thing really- since I can not imagine two better words to use on such a list if one decides a list is indeed needed at all.
Thank you, I am sure you can clear this up for me.
Also, IMHO I think a limit to “100”names is so contrived. How can anyone limit God to a number that sounds “round” and “right”?

I do think it’s artificially limiting, but people do like lists and numbers. It’s sad that not one of them is Father or Love: I agree. It would be neat to see a list of all the Biblical names of God sometime: Lion of Judah, Shoot of Jesse, etc.

Lily M,

I dont think anyone is trying to say that those names dont or cant describe God per say. I think it is interesting how the list came about. How PBUH decided that Allah likes odd numbers. The “harsher” descriptives are also in an odd number. It seems like a formula of, well “oddness”.
Thats all.

I seem to understand the way Eden describes having a hard time relating to the harsher descriptives as simply not the way she would describe God if making a list. Jesus brings us so much Joy that one would be making a list of joyous names if one felt compelled to make a list.

I just noticed something else about this list.

Unless I counted wrong, there are 15 names on this list with no Scriptural (Koran) suppport. Another Odd number connection…

Hello.

Miriam’s leprosy? Zechariah’s dumbness? etc.

If I had time I could probably find some basis for the others in the OT or the NT as well.

I stated that as a Christian, I find some of the titles difficult to relate to, and then you list examples of the God of the Old Testament. If I were Jewish, I would be on the same train that you are riding. But knowing the risen Christ, I would not make a list like this:

1. The Afflicter

2. The Avenger

3. The Delayer

4. The Withholder

5. The Abaser

6. The Humiliator

7. The Causer of Death

… to describe a God who sent His Son to die a horrific death for our Salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.