100 schoolgirls kidnapped in Nigeria by suspected extremists

cbsnews.com/news/100-schoolgirls-kidnapped-in-nigeria-by-suspected-extremists/

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Suspected Islamic extremists abducted about 100 female students from a school in northeast Nigeria before dawn Tuesday, but some of the teens managed to escape from the back of an open truck, officials said.

The girls were abducted after midnight from a school in Chibok, on the edge of the Sambisa Forest that is an insurgent hideout, said Borno state police commissioner Tanko Lawan.

Gunmen killed a soldier and police officer guarding the school, then took off with at least 100 students, a State Security Service official said.

How can such awful things happen in our “civilized” world?

LOVE! :heart:

The people of nigeria - especially in the north are experiencing so much terror in kidnappings like this one or gunmen attacking schools orchurch attacks snd other bombings.
The americsn media practically ignores what is happening over there.
I don’t understand why.

Easy. It doesn’t have anything to do with “healthcare,” sex or divisive politics.

The American media is driven by ratings, pure and simple.

because they would have to admit that radical Islam is dangerous and this is much more wide spread.

:thumbsup: BINGO!

Because civilized does not equal moral.

Because the West really doesn’t care about Africans.

The West does care about Africa.

Let’s see how the Obama administration has treated Nigeria who by the way are a huge nation with 175,000,000+ so when we hear about these atrocious events over there, as bad as they are, it’s a bit like when you hear bad things that occur in India, yes, those things are bad but India is a huge nation, so hence, I don’t think it’s a case where the West doesn’t care about Africa.

“John Kerry hits Nigeria gay marriage law” - politico.com/story/2014/01/john-kerry-nigeria-gay-marriage-102108.html

“John Kerry to Nigeria: no excuse for human rights abuses” -http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/25/john-kerry-nigeria-human-rights

Making his first official trip to sub-Saharan Africa, US secretary of state John Kerry on Saturday demanded that Nigeria respect human rights as it cracks down on Islamist extremists and pledged to work hard in the coming months to ease tensions between Sudan and South Sudan.

Kerry, attending the African Union’s 50th anniversary, backed the Nigerian government’s efforts to root out Boko Haram, an al-Qaida linked radical sect. But he said there is no excuse for abuses by armed forces in Nigeria’s long neglected north, where President Goodluck Jonathan has declared emergency rule.

The US is concerned about Ukraine, Syria, Israel, Afghanistan.

On the other hand, the US is very lax about controlling its own Southern Border where of course from wars within, Mexico has experienced likewise great suffering from violence and at times, even being close to a Failed State at our Borders.

:thumbsup: that is my theory also.
I hope it is not because they do not care what happens in africa!

We need to pay attention to what is happening all over the world.
The continent of africa should be no less important than other parts of the world and stories like this one should not be ignored.

ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/news/national-news/157933-gunmen-abduct-100-school-girls-in-borno

This article, the Guardian of Nigeria has a picture of school girls who are Muslim looking.

This article from UK Guardian again, shows a picture but these schoolgirls look more mainstream:

theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/15/schoolgirls-kidnapped-suspected-islamists-nigeria

I looked around at a few articles, there may have been a few people killed but not necessarily schoolgirls. Horrible situation.

The government has cracked down before but it seems the Extremists come back more.

tribune.com.ng/news/top-stories/item/3423-boko-haram-abducts-136-school-girls-in-borno

I have read stories of christian girls being kidnapped and forced to marry muslim men. I am not sure what the motivation is behind the kidnapping of these school girls

sex slave and raping them

This is truly horrific. Would that America (primarily) and the West stop looking at ourselves in a mirror and see the suffering where terrorism is a constant threat.

True, but if Christians were doing this, it’d be all over the news.

-Boko Haram is against “Western” style education and I believe education of women
-I would assume the forcing them to marry Muslim men would be seen by them as “saving” the girls from the evils of the West
-There is also the motivation shared by all terrorists of spreading terror and fear with their actions. The more shocking their actions, the more terror and fear they spread and more press (i.e. attention) they receive.

That’s why we are daily bombarded with reports of atrocities going on in the CAR? Stop buying into the propaganda that Islamic extremists get a free pass in the press but Christian extremists don’t.

Those folks are just following examples laid down by Big Mo.

The USS Missouri? That’s the only “Big Mo” that I can think of that wouldn’t violate forum rules or Church teachings regarding charity toward others and other religions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.