101 Myths of the Bible?

Has anyone ever read by Gary Greenburg “101 Myths of the Bible?” In it this man talks about so many things like Joseph reigning over Egypt, David killing Golliath, the Great Flood, ALL BEING myths and goes on to “prove” it. He also says the Jews got their one God deity from a one God in Egypt, and many things like this. I bought the book cause I want to see exactly where he’s getting this from.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Let’s say the Egyptians had one deity they worshiped.

For the sake of argument, let’s even allow that the Hebrews fashioned their own god out of the deity worshiped by Egypt.

Why, then, would the Hebrews fashion for themselves a god which violently detested the fashioning of gods?

In it this man talks about so many things like Joseph reigning over Egypt, David killing Golliath, the Great Flood, ALL BEING myths and goes on to “prove” it.

Prove it how? We have documents that are thousands of years old stating these facts. What possible evidence could he uncover today that would refute this? This is the equivalent of stating that the Declaration of Independence is filled with forged signatures because, well, we weren’t standing there watching it get signed, and circumstantial evidence “proves” that John Hancock (or someone who looked like him) was seen hanging out in, let’s say, Maine on July 4, 1776.

Granted, not everything in the Bible is to be taken as a newspaper report of events unfolding. Literary forms certainly employed allegory, poetry, and other devices to convey a truth. But when academia can’t even discern a plane going into the side of the World Trade Center on live TV, commentary like this on the Bible is almost less than worthless.

I should have better wored that, he goes on to say that there are 101 myths in the Bible the authors “borrowed” from other pagans and beliefs.

I’d check out Jimmy Akin’s article on the Pagan Influence Fallacy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.