101 questions every Jehovah's Witness should be asked using the NWT

From the site: towerwatch.com/Witnessing/101_questions.htm

I liked this alot… the portion posted here is not the whole thing.
but it is a good read, and worth your time to read it. here is a portion of it:

These questions have been put together using information from many different sources. All verses are from the NWT so that the translation of these verses cannot be questioned by Jehovah’s Witnesses. If the Watchtower Society decides to change any of these verses (like they did with Heb 1:6), then the obvious question for the individual Jehovah’s Witness is why did the WTS change their own Bible.

“…keep testing whether you are in the faith” (2Cor 13:5)

1. The WTS claims it uses the Bible as it’s “supreme authority”. Where in the Bible does anyone count their time in preaching on a slip of paper and are assigned record cards of activity, determining this as a “gauge to their spirituality”? Where in the Bible are Pioneers, Auxiliary Pioneers, Bethelites, and Kingdom Halls? Where in the Bible does it say that anyone born after 1935 can not go to heaven, that Christians are required to attend five meetings a week, that men are prohibited from wearing beards, and that after a prophecy fails, if the prophet admits he made a mistake, he is no longer a false prophet (see Deut 18:20-22)? Where does the Bible say that a person must belong to an organization that will start in the late 19th century and be headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, in order to survive Armageddon?

2. The WTS teaches that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will not reside with Christ in his heavenly kingdom. If this is so, then how do you explain Mt 8:11 in which Jesus says, “But I tell you that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table WITH Abraham and Isaac and Jacob IN the kingdom of the heavens"?

3. If the Holy Spirit is God’s impersonal “active force”, why does he speak directly and refer to himself as “I” and “me” in Acts 13:2? If the Holy Spirit is God’s impersonal active force, how could he: Be referred to as “he” and “him” in Jn 16:7- 8 and Jn 16:13-14; Bear witness (Jn 15:26, Acts 20:23); Feel hurt (Isa 63:10); Be blasphemed against (Mk 3:29, Lk 12:10); Say things (Ezek 3:24, Acts 8:29, 10:19, and Heb 10:15-17); Forbid someone to say things (Acts 16:6); Plead for us with groanings (Rom 8:26); Be tested (Acts 5:9); Send people (Acts 13:4); Be a helper (Jn 14:16, 16:7); Appoint overseers (Acts 20:28); Be outraged (Heb 10:29); Desire (Gal 5:17); Search (1Cor 2:10); Comfort (Acts 9:31); Be grieved (Eph 4:30); Be loved (Rom 15:30); Be lied to and be God (Acts 5:3-4)? What does the Bible say about those who speak against the Holy Spirit? See Mt 12:32 and Lk 12:10.

4. The NWT translates the Greek word “Theos” in Jn 1:1c as “a god”, but translates this same exact Greek word as “God” everywhere else it appears, (eg, Jn 3:2, 3:16, 3:17, 3:33, 3:34, 4:24, 6:27, 8:54, etc), including Jn 20:28 where this word explicitly refers to Jesus. What is the reason for this inconsistency in the translation of “Theos” in Jn 1:1c? If “Theos” was translated as “God” in Jn 1:1c like it is translated everywhere else it appears in the NWT, how would Jn 1:1 read and what would it say about the nature of Christ? Similarly, the Greek word “Theon” is translated in the NWT as “God” in almost every instance (eg, Mt 22:37, Lk 10:27, Jn 1:1b, 8:41, 14:1, 17:3, 1Jn 4:7, 4:12, 5:2, Rev 14:7, etc), but in Jn 10:33 it is translated as “a god”. What is the reason for this inconsistency in the translation of the word “Theon”? If “Theon” was translated as “God” in Jn 10:33, how would this verse read and what would it say about the nature of Christ? What did Jesus say in this passage that made the Jews want to kill him? See Jn 10:30-31. The phrase “Son of God” in theological language is a semitic term which means “having the same nature as God”, or being God, just as the term “Son of man” means “having the same nature as a man”, or being a man. Since blasphemy is one of the few offenses in Jewish law for which a person may be stoned to death, wouldn’t this claim of Christ, that he is the Son of God, qualify as a blasphemous statement to the Jews, and wasn’t this the reason they wanted to kill him by stoning him to death (Jn 10:31, 36-39)?

one more to consider:

1. In Mt 4:10, Jesus clearly has the authority to rebuke Satan and does so. Jude 9 says, “But when Michael the archangel had a difference with the Devil…he did not dare to bring a judgment against him…but said, “May Jehovah rebuke you.” If Jesus is Michael the Archangel, why did Michael, refuse to rebuke Satan in Jude 9, when he clearly did so in Mt 4:10?

towerwatch.com/Witnessing/101_questions.htm

THIS is exactly what I needed, the website is incredible and provides great insight. Thank you!!!

i liked the site also. especially this 101 reasons.

the owner of the site towerwatch.com states this in regards to the 101 questions:

I copied this list with permission from the web site Questions for Jehovah’s Witnesses. Most of the questions on this list are great, and you should be able to find several that you can use. If you are sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with a Jehovah’s Witness through their home Bible study method, try to find questions that fit the subject you are studying and bring them up at the appropriate time in a non-challenging way.

webshowplace.com/question/home.htm ( original site of the 101 questions )

Marilena

I noticed on question six that he used some of the Church Fathers quotes for support. It got me wondering what Christian denomination he belongs to. I wasnt able to find it, do you know? Is he Catholic?

Marilena,

Thanks for this info! It’s great! I just hope I can use it to show my DH the path to the Truth…

I noticed on question six that he used some of the Church Fathers quotes for support. It got me wondering what Christian denomination he belongs to. I wasnt able to find it, do you know? Is he Catholic?

Take a look at the “Just for Catholics” pages. It left me with a strong impression that he is Catholic.

Great links, Marilena!

How do you guy come up w/such great links??? I found a few that I like to use, but these 2 are great!

no. he is a born again Christian.

google. :smiley:

the just for Catholic pages is an entirely different website. read my post below Amicus’s. post no 5. it explains where he got the 101 questions from. i also posted the link to the orginal site where the 101 came from.

me too. i hope he will let you ask him to take his NWT and ask him those 101 questions, not from our Bible, but from theirs. that is what it recommends we do, take it right from their bible and discuss the topics with them.

Here is another one i like. :

1. If the dead will be resurrected during the millennial reign of Christ and judged according to their deeds during that time, why does the Bible explicitly say in Rev 20:4-5 that the “(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended)”? How could they be judged according to their deeds during the 1,000 year reign of Christ, if they will not come to life until after this period is over? Why does the NWT have parentheses around this verse? Similarly, if the dead will be resurrected during the millennial reign of Christ and judged according to their deeds during that time, why does the Bible say that the dead will come out of their tombs and “those who did (past tense) good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced (past tense) vile things to a resurrection of judgement” (Jn 5:28-29), and why does the Bible say that men are “to die once” and “after this (ie. death) a judgment” (Heb 9:27)?

When a JW says that the NWT is the most accurate bible, ask them which version they are referring to. The 1950’ edition, 1961 edition, or the current one? I have copies of those NWT versions. Check this out:

“Originally the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god” John 1:1 NWT 1950 edition

“In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.” John 1:1 NWT 1961 - current edition

Hebrews 1:6 NWT 1950 edition and the 1961 edition say ‘worship’, while current editions say, ‘did obesience to’.

hmmm… okay… well iam not surprised they changed the wording. what else is new? can’t they just leave well enough alone? :rolleyes: guess not. do you ever wonder what else they’ve changed in their publications? or doctrine? we know most of it, but don’t you wonder if there are other things they have changed? i wonder if they will ever change their stance on the blood issue? if they do i can guarentee that alot of the witnesses will leave, if they don’t they are mor eindoctrinated than i thought possible. don’t you wonder why so many of them have stayed after the society changes the doctrines? i know of one lady in particular who was close to me, who was not happy that they changed their stance on the generation of 1914.

she did not specifically state she was unhappy or disappointed, but you could tell when you brought the issue up that she frowned and was less than happy about it, but told me it is not our place to question the society, and independent thinking is dangerous.

what do they have against independent thinking anyhow? why do they fear it so much? one reason that comes to mind is they fear that if their members were to truly research and ask questions about the flip flops and were to even remotely have any indepedence from the society that they would go down in history as just another cult.

they are a cult. like it or not. anyone who holds eternal damnation and brainwashing and consequences for sving your life by a blood transfusion, and telling you not to associate outside the society is a cult. anyone who manipulates and controls is a cult. iam just sad that the sheep in the fold continue to starve spiritually and sadder to think that the wolves there are spiritually starving the sheep and letting them believe the lies that the wolves put out.

what a sad society they are. they do not have real hope. they base their happiness on what the watchtower tells them and they do not know that they can have real hope and real freedom :frowning: the society says that they are the only thing that humans need for everlasting life. become a jw and you will have everlasting life. believe what we teach and you will have everlasting life.

what a sad bunch of sheep there are in the society :frowning: i know honestly when Christ returns, that the society will go down and hopefully the sheep wil hear Christ’s voice and come to Him and be saved. this is the day that all in the falsetower will not be able to escape. the sheep who hear Christ’s voice and listen and do His will will be saved, the ones who don’t? well that is up to God to judge them, and judge them He will. i would not want to be in their shoes when they are judged.

nice links :thumbsup:

**How could they be judged according to their deeds during the 1,000 year reign of Christ, if they will not come to life until after this period is over? Why does the NWT have parentheses around this verse? **

About the dead not coming to life until the thousand years are over, the way the JWs explained this to me, over 25 years ago, was that “come to life” meant “reach perfection” and thus have merited eternal life on earth.
In other words, the dead will be resurrected in stages soon after Armageddon, but none of them will “come to life” (i.e. attain to perfection and the right to eternal life) until the end of the Millenium.

It’s still a lot of hooey.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)

things were not explained to me that way. all i know is that at the end of the thousand year reign, when all come to perfection, then the devil will be let loose, tempt some, and be destroyed once and for all. I don’t know, there are just so many inconsistincies in their beliefs, that who knows what they even teach anymore. I haven’t been a jw for 7 years, and don’t even care to entertain what they believe, but i do do it for those who need to ask questions or just want answers i can provide based on my knowledge while i was a jw.

ty, but the credit goes to those who the links belong to.here is a question iam entertaining when the lady jw comes back to my home. i want to talk to her about Micheal the Archangel. Iam going to post the question to her as it appears earlier in this post with the mention of Matt. 4:10 and Jude 9. what a wonderful way to explain that Jesus is not Micheal and that Micheal only told satan, God rebuke you.

If Jesus were Micheal, He would not be able to judge the devil, but since He is not Micheal the Archangel, He can and has rebuked the devil. What a superb question that is!! Superb!!!

Thank you for providing the links then. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.