10th Anniversary Study: Faith in New York Since 9/11

New Yorkers are more spiritually active today than they were immediately following the 9/11 attacks, according to a new study released today.

As the tenth anniversary of America’s largest terrorist event approaches, Barna Group tracked the long-term spiritual profile at one of the epicenters of the attacks – New York City.

The immediate chaos after the September 11 attacks was unprecedented as millions flocked to churches and houses of worship. The intense, heartbreaking anguish felt by the victims was felt throughout the nation.

But, how long did that spiritual behavior last?

A new study released today shows within a few months the spiritual lives of the nation’s population were back to pre-attack levels, which means their faith did not last long.

Researchers say the faith of New Yorkers changed significantly from September 2004 to January 2011. Their religious behavior (like going to church, reading the Bible, and praying) started to steadily increase

christianpost.com/news/10th-anniversary-study-faith-in-new-york-since-9-11-54688/

:extrahappy: Hopefully the rest of the country will follow.

Greetings Eegardner,

I heartily agree. I will be holding your country in my prayers. I was hoping to go the 9/11 ceremony in New York as I am coming to visit the United States of America, but plans did not work out. However, I am happy to know I will be in the United States of America on that day.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

Hello,
Thank you, we need all of the prayers that we can get! And it is wonderful to have support from outside of our borders. I hope you enjoy your visit and I pray you have a safe journey.

What ‘part of the world’ are you from, if I may ask?

And I like your screen name-‘Anathama Sit’! Very cool! :thumbsup:

Greetings Barb Finnegan,

I can say this with all certainty, I am not from the United States of America, I hail from Europe such as home may be called. As to naming countries, that’s a bit too much for me. :slight_smile:

Thank you, I had hoped that Anathema Sit was not taken, but someone took it in I believe April 2005. I am most fortunate that they did not take this variant spelling. I am notorious for misspelling and thought that this would a play on that. Sometimes I feel accursed when I have to constantly look up words to make sure they are spelled correctly.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

Greetings Eegardner,

My appreciation for your warm well wishes. I will miss you fellow posters when I am gone, but I am so excited to catch up with a really good friend and see more of your country.

I had visited the Grand Canyon for the first time this January. The Canyon cannot be appreciated in an Omnimax theater nor in the best photograph that one can take. How beautiful it was to look out over the canyon and truly feel free. I cannot express my sentiments as to whay I felt that day, but I remember thinking that America is a blessed land. It is a country that I have held close to my heart because my relatives live there, but the more I have visited them and your country, my love for your country has grown.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

Hello,

Yes, America is blessed and we do have a lot of beautiful scenery. From the driest desert to frozen Alaska. But I think a lot of times it takes someone like you that has a real appreciation to remind us. I have lived in the desert, by the Pacific Ocean, on the Mexican border, in the city and at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. Sometimes it becomes too common and it can get taken for granted. Thank you for you wonderful words when much of the world hate us. Have a wonderful day, my friend.

Pax et bonum

Greetings Eegardner,

How I hope and pray that one day I will get to see Alaska and the other remaining states that I have not visited. I have heard so much about Alaska but have not had the opportunity nor the time to devote to Alaska. It took several trips to get through all of Texas, and there’s much of the “Grand State” that I have not seen that I would like to see.

I am getting together with my friends and we are going to go and spend some time in the Mountains. I find the ruggedness and the solitary nature of the Rocky Mountains much suited to my personality and my liking.

I have always enjoyed traveling and seeing new things and meeting new people. And you know the greatest thrill that comes is when I go to Mass with people from other countries and there we celebrate the Eucharistic Sacrifice and in that moment, countries, nationalities, and everything that divides us is swept away, and there we are children of God, beloved by Him. Word are failing me as I am remembering many things, this thread has done very good things. I am looking foward to next week with much relish.

I have just observed that we have digressed from the topic, but perhaps I can tie this in. There is so much beauty in the world, so much grandeur and wholesomness that bespeaks of a Loving and Merciful God, despite what may be going on in the world.

Truly to watch your country come together like they did in the aftermath of the Tragedy of 9/11 was inspirational to many, and it helped me grow in my faith as well.

God bless you and your country.
Anathama Sit

Very well said! Yes, 9-11 did bring this country together like no other time. And it brought God back into this country. It was a great blessing that was brought about unfortunately by a horrible tragedy. It is good to see that some of it still remains.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.