12-1 Mass Readings / comments (Church / no OSAS)

December 2, 2010
Thursday of the First Week of Advent

12-1 Mass Readings / comments (Church / no OSAS)
Reading 1

Is 26:1-6On that day they will sing this song in the land of Judah:

“A strong city have we;
he sets up walls and ramparts to protect us.
Open up the gates
to let in a nation that is just,
one that keeps faith.
A nation of firm purpose you keep in peace;
in peace, for its trust in you.”

Trust in the LORD forever!
For the LORD is an eternal Rock.
He humbles those in high places,
and the lofty city he brings down;
He tumbles it to the ground,
levels it with the dust.
It is trampled underfoot by the needy,
by the footsteps of the poor.

Ps 118:1 and 8-9, 19-21, 25-27aResponsorial PsalmR.

(26a) Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his mercy endures forever.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in princes.
R. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.

***Open to me the gates of justice;***I will enter them and give thanks to the LORD.
***This gate is the LORD’s;
the just shall enter it.***I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me
and have been my savior.

O LORD, grant salvation!
O LORD, grant prosperity!
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD;
we bless you from the house of the LORD.
The LORD is God, and he has given us light.

Mt 7:21, 24-27Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’
will enter the Kingdom of heaven,
but only the one who does the will of my Father in Heaven.

“Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them
will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.
The rain fell, the floods came,
***and the winds blew and buffeted the house.
But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. ***And everyone who listens to these words of mine
but does not act on them
will be like a fool who built his house on sand.
The rain fell, the floods came,
and the winds blew and buffeted the house.
And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”

__

***I tend to think that everything said in the OT about Israel being the nation that people will turn to… and that kind of thing is also speaking of the Church that will come (from Israel)… “A nation that is just”… etc… That is the Catholic Church :slight_smile:

OSAS:**

Jesus says that not everyone who says Lord, Lord, will enter the Kingdom but only the one who does the will of the Father. It seems that those who believe in OSAS say that their one-time conversion does the trick as far as eternal salvation is concerned (the etenral security doctrine). But this & other psgs refute that handily…

The “house built on sand” is any belief one holds that contradicts the words of Christ & leads one away from His way…

It is foolishness to believe that all we need to do is accept Jesus as savior ONE time and then we don’t have to worry about anything or DO anything (refrain from sin) for our salvation. In another psg Jesus says we must obey the commandents & even to give up all to follow Him… He tells us it is not easy getting to Heaven…

i know people who claim to be Christians & yet they do terrible things to their fellow man (steal, cheat, lie…). You can tell that they believe in this kind of false doctrine (unless they just use the name “Christian” to get people to trust them - so they can cheat / steal…???). Jesus died for us and paid the price for our sins, but we have to… “apply” Jesus to our lives, our hearts/souls… and that is not as easy as it sounds. We humans are fallen creatures who, without Jesus, wouldn’t even have a clue as to …who we are… much less would we be able to become what we… uh… what we REALLY are… (should be). In other words… the devil messes us up… we become something spiritually disfigured… etc… Jesus would not have come, obviously, if we could fix ourselves… & he wouldn’t have established a Church if tht Church were not given His power to overcome the devil. nothing else in the world but His Church has this power over Satan… (St Mt 16:18)

Anyway… i could ramble on but i will leave it at that… *

Interesting that God responded to the “righteous” person’s call (Ps 118:21) for salvation. It seems contrary to the idea of Calvinist Predestination where God elects people irrespective of any of their actions or attributes.

why do you mention predestination? Do you have inclinations toward that belief??

the only predestination i believe in is… that God knows BASICALLY which way we are headed… He knows when a person is TRYING to be committed… He knows how frail the person is better than that person knows (WAY)… but God chooses NOT to know such things as What choice will that person make in the future… I do NOT believe God knows what every person is going to do… that doesn’t make sense if ppl have free will, which they DO…

God made us to be “gods” in our own right, with the power/freedom to choose right from wrong…

No one would go to Hell at all… if this were not the case…

it wouldn’t make sense for God to send to Hell people who had no control over whether they went there or not…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.