13 and interested in being lawyer?

I have a very strong interst for law and political affairs, and I kind of want to pursue a career in law. If I do, I will avoid the corruption that inflicts many today, to the best of my ability.

However, can one be a lawyer and still a devout Roman Catholic? I really need to make sure that the legal profession is compatible with my personal morals and faith.

It would be just as easy to be a devout Catholic and a lawyer as it would be to be in any other career. There are several fields within law that can be studied. Like, criminal defense or family law. Study as hard as you can now so that you can be the best that you can be. Between now and College, you might find yourself changing your mind. But don't let that stop you from doing the best that you can now. When you turn 16, see if you can't work part time in a lawyers office. This would be a way of seeing how things work before commiting yourself once you get to College. Even a summer job or internship would help. And, of course, pray, pray, pray. :crossrc:

I'm a Software Engineer myself, but I have married into an extended family with three Catholic Lawyers. Mostly they don't go to trials. They have specialized in the many different types of business and personal contracts. One works for a large food processing company. The 80-year-old patriarch still runs his own law firm helping many small business and families. It is a very noble profession with many options of law types and people that you want may want to serve.

In any profession there are ways to cheat. It may be easier as a Lawyer to do this because of the complexity of the legal system and dependence of people on experts like lawyers, but this should be an incentive for good honest Catholic people to fill these needs well and be true to the trust of the people you're serving. Wear your moral integrity proudly and you will likely never be approached to perform shady dealings and don't fall for the gray area trap that if it can be done legally it must be moral.

The only difficulty I see are cases where a Lawyer might have to prosecute a death penalty case or other cases where Catholic teaching would indicate that the law you're prosecuting is against God's moral law. Thankfully there are very few examples besides death penalty prosecuting which is a very specialized area that can be avoided.

Though Politics has a bad reputation, but if you can bring a group of honest people together to bring about good change then you should pursue that calling. Just be sure of the people that “get you there” don’t want more than that good honest Catholic that you are.

St. Thomas More is the patron saint of lawyers. I would suggest two things: first pray to him to help you discern if this is your calling. Second, see if you can find a good biography on him and read it.

As Christy Beth said, you may change you mind between now and college -- that's ok. It can take some time to figure out what to do with your life.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Shalom

[quote="Joko2599, post:1, topic:324492"]
I have a very strong interst for law and political affairs, and I kind of want to pursue a career in law. If I do, I will avoid the corruption that inflicts many today, to the best of my ability.

However, can one be a lawyer and still a devout Roman Catholic? I really need to make sure that the legal profession is compatible with my personal morals and faith.

[/quote]

I think you can be a lawyer and a faithful Catholic, but if you choose to get involved in politics I think you have to be prepared for considerable marginalization and persecution (I would take a close look at Rick Santorum's career and see if God is calling you to this kind of life).

It would be a lot simpler to have a career in copyright law or some technical field that is removed from the intrinsic evils of the day. That said, you will be capable of greater deeds to our Lord by going into a field such as politics (as long as you remain faithful and put God's Will before your own). Just realize that, with the trajectory that things are headed, hatred towards Christ and His teachings on sexual morality are going to become much worse in the coming decades and socially conservative activists and politicians will likely be among the first to experience white or even red martyrdom.

Martyrdom, of course, is a beautiful thing and a faithful Catholic should jump at the opportunity to sacrifice himself/herself for our Blessed Lord (and inherit immense glory in heaven). That said, it does take a considerable amount of holiness and I encourage you to pray to God for direction while you are making this decision. :)

God bless!

[/quote]

As a Catholic lawyer, I find that my profession allows me to share my faith abundantly. When a client's liberty or property is at stake, they are willing to listen to just about anything ... this opens doors. Not all the time, but sometimes. Ethics should accompany a Catholic in any profession, whether it is law, medicine, construction, cooking, whatever. Are there crooked lawyers? Sure. Are there crooked doctors? Sure. Some of them may go to Mass with you on Sunday. Regardless, you choose the approach you take with whatever profession you choose.

Anyway, I will pray for you as you decide your future path. Stay strong!

[/quote]

In a word, yes. How you work as a lawyer and the decisions you make can (and should) be guided by your faith. The two are not incompatible and if anything, bringing Gospel values to your work as a lawyer would make you better at your job and better able to relate to those that you work with - clients and colleagues alike. Yes there is corruption, and the corruption of the best is the worst; but in my experience, those who are the most honest, the most compassionate, and the most living towards others are the people who are the most respected. On the other hand, once someone gets a reputation for being dodgy, it's very hard to shake.

Gee, I sure hope that being a lawyer and a Catholic are consistent. Otherwise I am in deep do-do. :) So are all of the following:

Saints Thomas More, Alphonsus Ligouri, Raymond of Peñafort, Theophilus the Lawyer, Yves (Saint Ivo of Kermartin), Cyprian, Ambrose, Jerome, Benedict, Thomas a'Becket, Charles Borromeo, Peter Canisius, Francis de Sales, Turibius, Andrew Avellino, Aprus of Toul, Bernadine Realino, Castor of Apt, Gregory Barbarigo, Gregory Thaumaturgus, James of the Marches, John Houghton, John of Avila, John of Capistrano, Josemaria Escriva, Liphardus of Orleans, Paulinus of Nola, Peter of Alcantara, Salvius of Albi, Satyrus, Blessed Luigi Beltrame Quattrochi, Blessed Angelo Carletti, Blessed Contardo Ferrini, Blessed James the Almsgiver, Blessed John Bodey, Blessed John of Vercelli, Blessed John Storey, Blessed Nazju Falzon ,Blessed Paul Burali d'Arezzo, Blessed Peter de Geremia, Blessed Pope Innocent XI, and Blessed Frederick Ozanam

Lawyers all, each and every one.

[/quote]

I'm a devout practicing Catholic. I've been a trial lawyer since 1985 and I have managed to reconcile my career with my faith with no problem. Just keep in mind which is more important and you will be fine. :)

[/quote]

Hey, you sound a lot like me. I had a strong interest in being a lawyer, but, God made me a priest instead!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.