13 y.o son discerning?

My 13 y.o. son has shown interest in the Priesthood. He sometimes serves at the altar with Fr.. He has had a devotion to St. Michael since he was six. And recenetly said he wanted to go to Rome, but gave no reason. We are not a super pious family or is this something expected. How should I help him discern this as a dad? Thanks, Samson.

Although your son is only 13, some people just know what they are called to do. My friest told me he knew at 7 years old that is what he wanted to do. He said he remembered sitting in church saying I'm going to do that one day. His parents didn't believe him at first but he said the calling and desire never went away. I think God speaks to those who are called at any age. Talk to him, listen to what he has to say. Age is nothing in God's plans....

[quote="MarisaJean, post:2, topic:250533"]
Although your son is only 13, some people just know what they are called to do. My friest told me he knew at 7 years old that is what he wanted to do. He said he remembered sitting in church saying I'm going to do that one day. His parents didn't believe him at first but he said the calling and desire never went away. I think God speaks to those who are called at any age. Talk to him, listen to what he has to say. Age is nothing in God's plans....

[/quote]

Yes, I agree. Thanks.

I like that word "friest" combination of friend and priest :thumbsup:

My opinion would be that you should probably be open and understanding and supportive, which it seems like you already are. :D

[quote="Samson01, post:1, topic:250533"]
My 13 y.o. son has shown interest in the Priesthood. He sometimes serves at the altar with Fr.. He has had a devotion to St. Michael since he was six. And recenetly said he wanted to go to Rome, but gave no reason. We are not a super pious family or is this something expected. How should I help him discern this as a dad? Thanks, Samson.

[/quote]

Would you be comfortable sending him to a World Youth Day?

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.