15 Killed In Fighting Between Armenia And Azerbaijan

foxnews.com/world/2014/08/02/outbreak-fighting-between-azerbaijan-and-armenia-over-disputed-territory-kills/

Been following the tensions over Nagorno-Karabakh and they seem to be escalating.

One news report claimed 51 Armenians were killed in fighting news.az/articles/karabakh/90802

This is just what we need, another hot spot in the world to be worried about.

This area has been at war more or less constantly for over 2,000 years. Since the Christian era, a small number ( relatively ) of ethnic Christian Armenians have been at constant war with surrounding Muslims, first the persians, then the Turks. Once again, it is a case of " no room for Christians " at the table.

Linus2nd

I remember reading an editorial last year that stated in the event of a war between Christian Armenia and Muslim Azerbaijan, Russia would back Armenia and the US would support Azerbaijan.

Some insight into the recent clashes america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/8/2/armenia-azerbaijanclashes.html

Azerbaijan’s president threatens war with Armenia via Twitter theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/azerbaijan-president-threatens-war-armenia-twitter

Sure seems to be a lot of potential conflicts escalating lately.

Armenia Must Prepare For Possibility of War asbarez.com/126051/armenia-must-prepare-for-possibility-of-war/
From the article
In the meantime, the U.S. and Russia are at odds over Ukraine and the Gaza strip and Iraq are being overrun. Azerbaijan may miscalculate that it is the right time to attack.

Wow. I must be stupid because I honestly didn’t think that such tensions existed between Armenia and Azerbaijan. I generally consider myself to be knowledgeable about various world issues but this one just goes to show just how ignorant I actually am. :blush:

Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan: Armenia should launch preventive strike against Azerbaijan armradio.am/en/2014/08/26/arkady-ter-tadevosyan-armenia-should-launch-preventive-strike-against-azerbaijan/

From the article

Artsakh Hero, Major General Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan has a new suggestion regarding the Armenian-Azerbaijani relations. He considers we shouldn’t sit and wait for Azerbaijan’s recurrent adventurism. “This will never stop, if we fail to give a proper response,” he told reporters today.

What the Major General suggests is that Armenia launch a preventive strike against Azerbaijan. “If we look at Azerbaijan’s territory, it’s all plan, while Armenia and Karabakh are mountainous areas. We have all conditions to strike Azerbaijan so that we reach the Russian Federation,” he said.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.