15 or 20 decade rosary? What is right?

Some time i ago i had a special 20 decade rosary made for me. As i thought it would be a good thing to pray all the mysteries and meditate through them during a day.

When i mentioned this for a fellow catholic, she corrected me and told me that this is not such a good conduct since the traditional rosary of 15 mysteries also reflects the 150 Psalm verses in The Old Testament.

I know that the blessed pope John Paul II introduced the Luminious Mysteries in October 2002 to be prayed on thursdays.

Some have said thatt they don`t pray the Luminous Mysteries at all, while others are of the opinions to pray the Joyful Mysteries, the Sorrowful Mysteries and the Glorius Mysteries with a 15 decade rosary and then with a single rosary (five decades) pray the Luminous Mysteries.

Should i scrap my 20 decade rosary and get a 15 decade rosary instead? I do like to hear peoples opinions on this (and do criticise me too if it is deserved).

Thanks and God bless you all.

=Padraig1972;7778344]Some time i ago i had a special 20 decade rosary made for me. As i thought it would be a good thing to pray all the mysteries and meditate through them during a day.

When i mentioned this for a fellow catholic, she corrected me and told me that this is not such a good conduct since the traditional rosary of 15 mysteries also reflects the 150 Psalm verses in The Old Testament.

I know that the blessed pope John Paul II introduced the Luminious Mysteries in October 2002 to be prayed on thursdays.

Some have said thatt they don`t pray the Luminous Mysteries at all, while others are of the opinions to pray the Joyful Mysteries, the Sorrowful Mysteries and the Glorius Mysteries with a 15 decade rosary and then with a single rosary (five decades) pray the Luminous Mysteries.

***Then issue is WHAT WAS vrs. WHAT IS…

The twenty myteries is a fuller reflection on the Life of Christ.

REMEMBER: Church PRACTICES can be changed:D Doctrines and Dogma’s Can’t:thumbsup:***

Should i scrap my 20 decade rosary and get a 15 decade rosary instead? I do like to hear peoples opinions on this (and do criticise me too if it is deserved).

Thanks and God bless you all.

NOPE! Use it often!

God Bless,
Pat

1 Like

you can use any rosary you like
your friend has no authority and no basis to make such a claim and to cause you discomfort and unease.

nobody needs to buy a new rosary, just keep going around the loop as long as it takes you to pray the mysteries you choose to reflect on today.

Which is exactly what you’d be doing if you chose to pray more than 5, anyway.:slight_smile:

Thank you so far for you responses. It such a delight to see that people here think`s the 20 decade rosary is a good thing to pray. :slight_smile:

Eh, the old ways is the best ways.

Meaning i should stick to:

a) pray the 5 decade rosary and leave out the Luminous Mysteries?
b) use a 15 decade rosary and leave out Luminous Mysteries?

A 15-decade rosary is good.

A 20-decade rosary is good.

A 5-decade rosary is good.

A single Hail Mary is good.

Do what’s good!

2 Likes

The Church set the # of Mysteries in the 1200-1300’s. The Church has added 5 more. I don’t see any problem with 20. I LOVE the Mysteries of Light–they fill in the gaps.

If it is good enough for (soon to be Blessed) JPII, it is good enough for me.:slight_smile:

I do agree with you and take in account that this person that corrected me in a mild manner is a very devout traditional catholic (Bless her for that).

I have a seven decade rosary.

It’s all down to personal preference. If you like your 20 decade Rosary, then you should keep using it.

The people who complained about the Mysteries of Light make no sense to me. The Rosary is not part of the Sacred Deposit of Faith and is not set in stone. It is a prayer. Prayers can be changed. John Paul II did not force the Mysteries of Light on anyone; he offered them as an addition because they allow the faithful to meditate on the public ministry of Christ. Why would anyone have a problem with meditating on the public ministry of Christ? It makes no sense to me.

no meaning you pray this private devotion according to your personal preference, you free to meditate on any of the suggested mysteries. Anyone here who voices a personal opinion must understand, and you must accept, that they have no authority to govern you in your personal prayer. If you have a question on your personal prayer, do as you have been advised in your numerous threads asking such questions: ask your own confessor or spiritual advisors, not casual friends or strangers on the internet.

There is no need to buy or make any rosary other than the 5 decade, you can use it for all or part of the rosary.

if she is not your confessor or spiritual director she has no authority to instruct you in anything other than her own personal preference, she cannot dictate to you.

A nights sleep made this simple. I use my 20 decade or five decade and leaves it to that.
Thank you for all the feedback. It was and is much appreciated.

I wish you all a peaceful Holy Thursday.

1 Like

The most important thing is that you are praying The Rosary. I pray all 4 sets of mysteries and find them all wonderful and solidly based on our faith. They all bring us closer to Jesus by intercession of Mary. Your prayer life is personal and you should build it how you see fit while giving greater glory to God. G1j

But do you pray them all in the same day? I tried my 20 decade rosary for the first time tonight and it took me like 2 1/2 hours (36 mins per mystery and it felt too fast…).

I only pray all 4 sets of mysteries on Good Friday between 12:00pm and 3:00pm and on days when I find myself tempted to sin (Gravely). I pray all 4 sets when I have friends or loved ones who are in a particular need also. G1j

Most folk in Ireland follow this sequence:

The Joyful Mysteries are meditated on Monday and Saturday, Sundays of Advent and after Epiphany until Lent.
The Sorrowful Mysteries are meditated on Tuesday and Friday, and Sundays in Lent.
The Glorious Mysteries are meditated on Wednesday and Sunday.
The Luminous Mysteries are meditated on Thursday.

5 decades = a full Rosary

The same cycle as here. I know there are plenty that pray all the mysteries during a day. I will try to do so as well, as often as possible.

A twenty-decade rosary is a great idea - I might have one made for myself as well.

The Luminous Mysteries were one of the greatest gifts of our beloved Holy Father, John Paul II.

For those who don’t know, he suggested Thursdays for the Mysteries of Light because the institution of the holy Eucharist occurred on Holy Thursday.

JPII also managed to maintain the chronological order of the rosary with the insertion of the luminous mysteries. The events in the life of Jesus (and Mary) are all in correct order if you pray the mysteries in this order: Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, Glorious.

God bless,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.