15 Prayers of St. Bridget

Hello, I just joined the other day.

I have recently started attending mass. My sisters friend who is a priest and did the service at my mom’s funeral a few months ago gave us this prayer book.

He said to pray the 15 prayers of St. Bridget every day for a year for my mom’s soul. I have been doing it on and off. I have had to restart because I was in the hospital recently and didn’t have access to the book. This past week I have been very sick and couldn’t get myself to read it, if your familiar with it you know it’s a fairly long set of prayers. I have the date marked down in my phone of when I started it.

My question is, do I have to restart completely, or make up a certain amount of days to make exactly a year? Or should I just restart the year tomorrow and try harder not to miss any days. Sorry if this is a weird/silly question.

It says in the book to try not to miss any days, but if you do you don’t have to start over… I just kept track and added them on to the end. It added up to about 30 days for me. I probably didn’t HAVE to to the make up days, but I did for me… Good luck and prayers with you. It’s is quite an accomplishment when you do get it finished… such dedication…and prayers for your mom, too!

I think the idea is, not to miss any days unless it’s for good reason. You being sick in the hospital, is a good example of a good reason. I’d say just make them up in the end. If you’re worried about it though, you’re still early in the process, try going on for longer after you’ve officially finished it. Good for you! I started doing these a few months ago, made it to approx 20 days and fell off the wagon! I want to start again. I find it easier to dedicate a time of the day where I am less likely to be disturbed. I half considered getting up way earlier than I need to to in the morning to squeeze them in before I get up… but I don’t know that my fuzzy morning brain will allow it! Haha

St Bridget also has a 12 year prayer… check it out! The commitment is for a much, much longer time, but the daily prayers are shorter. I tried them a while back and remember feeling so great during that period of my life. I actually think I may try that one on for size instead.

Either way- you’re doing wonderful things for yourself, as well as for your mother by trying!

Thank you for the replies. :slight_smile: I will keep track of the date I started then keep a tally of any missed days throughout the year when I absolutely can’t get to it for a good reason then then do those days at the end.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.