15 Signs American Society Is Coming Apart at the Seams

"15 Signs American Society Is Coming Apart at the Seams
By David DeGraw, Amped Status.

Editor’s note: The following is an edited excerpt from the Amped Status report, “The Critical Unraveling of U.S. Society.”

The economic elite have launched an attack on the U.S. public and society is unraveling at an increased rate. You may have missed it in the mainstream news media, but statistical societal indicators are reading red across the board. Let’s look at the top 15 statistics that prove we are under attack."…

Entire article here: alternet.org/workplace/144109/15_signs_american_society_is_coming_apart_at_the_seams?page=entire

Entire Amped Status Report here: ampedstatus.com/the-critical-unraveling-of-us-society “The Critical Unraveling of U.S. Society”

Sounds like a good time to ramp up the bread and circuses.

14 and 15, yes people are scared and loading up on ammunition.

4 workers between age 55 and 60 lost 25% of their 401K as did many others - what this has to do with the wealth of the 400 richest going up I am not sure but it is no surprise as the rich play the stock market and stocks have been rebounding which also helps everyone 401K's.

2 and #7 Yes 123 banks have gone but compared to 1980's when we lost about 2000, it is relatively small. Should we have bailed out these large banks - many feel we should not have - let collapse and see what happens.

5 - Many that were given these loans should have not been given them in the first place. They are still doing this. I know of a relative that just bought a house and his feeling, "well if I can maintain it, I will but if I can't after about 3 years I'll get out and don't feel I have lost anything because I am paying about the same for rent."

6 Many are unemployed which is the most crucial problem.

8 Ten states (California, Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island and Wisconsin) are on the verge of bankruptcy. In the pass we have bailed out states. New York was bailed out. California always seem to have a problem. States need to manage their budgets very carefully.

Quite a bit of the rest of the article is about class warfare which I just don't buy into. I agree we need to make changes in health insurance so that it will be affordable to many. And the issue of poverty has always been a problem that charities have worked with but with so people out of work, it has only gotten worse. And the issue of the rich, maybe we should look at other ways of taxing the rich - like a flat tax or some other form.

Somebody wanna tell me why #14 & #15 are such a bad thing?

[quote="wabrams, post:4, topic:177242"]

[/quote]

Can we say potential terrorists?

[quote="cyberwolf001, post:5, topic:177242"]
Can we say potential terrorists?

[/quote]

How you figure? Just b/c somone buys a bunch of ammo they are now potential terrorists?

Freedom Fighters =P

[/quote]

That seems to happen every time a democrat is elected.

[/quote]

Well, if ammunition is being bought at a great rate on a national level, and there's no corresponding increase in hunting, it would indicate that people are scared, paranoid, or angry about something.

I have a tendency to agree (unless ammo prices sharply dropped and ppl decide to stock up), but that is not a sign that “American Society Is Coming Apart at the Seams.” It can also be a sign of preparedness as well.

[quote="wabrams, post:6, topic:177242"]
How you figure? Just b/c somone buys a bunch of ammo they are now potential terrorists?

[/quote]

Well, according to Our Benevolent Government, if you're a military veteran, if you're a practicing Christian, if you support third-party candidiates, or if you fly a Gadsden flag, you're a potential terrorist, so I see no reason why the Washington Politburo wouldn't consider those who buy lots of ammo to be potential terrorists as well. :shrug:

People are [A] scared, ** paranoid, or [C] angry about something?

I'd say that would probably be [A] the current administration and Congress which is hellbent on taking away our rights and reducing us to dependant serfdom, ** the current administration and Congress which is hellbent on taking away our rights and reducing us to dependant serfdom, and [C] the current administration and Congress which is hellbent on taking away our rights and reducing us to dependant serfdom.****

Tell me about it. That memo was purely a sign of a government enitity trying to justify its existence.

[quote="wabrams, post:12, topic:177242"]
Tell me about it. That memo was purely a sign of a government enitity trying to justify its existence.

[/quote]

And since I am a veteran, I am a Christian, I do support third-party candidates, I do fly a Gadsden flag, and I buy lots of ammo, I'm sure that I'll be one of the first ones they come to try to drag off to a FEMA camp.

I'm a dangerous criminal, I am. :rolleyes:

But at least, unlike Tim Geithner, I pay my taxes......

:rotfl::rotfl:

Also the organizing into citizens militias aimed at resisiting the goverment. At what point those a militia decide to attack?

How many militia’s have attacked thus far?

We really shouldn't make light of this. The fact remains that crime IS on the rise and people ARE running out of unemployment benefits and yes there are crimes being committed by desperate people who are just poor and hungry. The unemployment rate is double what it had been 5 or so ys. ago. We just had one in the paper yesterday...heck there is a new story just about every day. Obviously this may not apply to us, but for a majority of poor desperate people living in the poorest parts of the country and neighboorhoods where crime is rampant right now, it can be a very scary place to live. Its' suggesting that millita revolt is possible here in the US. It is a known fact that unemployment and increase in crime happens a lot as it has over the last year and police officers are getting overwhelmed and underpayed.

Gangs are a huge problem in California right now, why do you suppose that is?

There is an old saying in my country, "You can get a hungry man to do anything". :)

[quote="cyberwolf001, post:15, topic:177242"]
Also the organizing into citizens militias aimed at resisiting the goverment. At what point those a militia decide to attack?

[/quote]

Nobody whants to resist the government. What they want to resist is this specific administration and this specific corrupt Congress.

IMHO, while this article was almost entirely about money, I really think the crisis we face today is more spiritual than economic. Financial poverty can be overcome, but not spiritual poverty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.