1517-2007: 490 yrs of no Church discipline (Sabbaths)

**Oct. 31st will be 490 years of rebellion against Church Discipline (Sabbaths), like the Jews before the Exile: **

Interesting to note the following. In the OT, there was a period of exactly 490 years prior to the exile that the Jews had not kept the Land Sabbath, that is, they did not give rest to the land in farming every seventh year. So God said, because you neglected to give the land a rest for 70 total years (490 / 7), I will give the land a rest from you for 70 years.

Now, note, the Sabbaths of the Old Covenant, like much of the Law (excepting, of course, the Decalogue), were merely disciplinary laws.

But behold, discipline has not been eradicated in the NT, for “whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Hence, whenever a bishop (who is a legitimate successor of an Apostle, even Orthodox ones) places disciplinary laws on the faithful under their jurisdiction, they are truly binding on the faithful, usually under pain of mortal sin. Hence, for example, for a Catholic to deliberately disobey a disciplinary law, such as eating meat on a Friday of Lent (baring any health issues that would excuse), or if he (again, leaving aside health or age exceptions) deliberately neglects to fast on the appointed days (in this case, Ash
Wednesday and Good Friday), or misses the Sunday Mass (or Vigil) or Holy Day of Obligation (again, barring a legit excuse, like he’s sick), it is a mortal sin.

But, now notice this. On October 31st, 1517, exactly 490 years ago, there was a devastating rebellion in Christendom, a division of the Father’s children unlike any other time. For, yes, there were always heresies and schisms before this time. But as the CCC implicitly references, this was a division of a far more devastating nature than previous ones, seconded only by the Great Schism. For even in the Great Schism, in which the East took 4 of the 5 Apostolic Sees and separated from the ultimate Kingship (that is, Rome), in much a similar way that the OT North took 10 of the 12 Tribes (12 Tribes, 12 Apostles, hmmm, interesting) and left behind the true kingship (Judah, 2 tribes), this Rebellion was worse! Far worse. For the Orthodox retained true Churches, true Kings of the NT Covenant, hence, heaven has always assented to the disciplines of the Eastern Fathers, even if they are in Schism.

But, behold, the second rebellion is not merely against Peter, but in fact the whole of the NT Fathers. For the heretics no longer persevered in accepting the Oral Word of God that is mediated by the NT Fathers. No, they said to all the Bishops, you take a hike. So, then, to the best of my knowledge, expect possibly for the Anglicans and their derivatives, Protestants are under no obligation to “keep fasts, penances, and Sabbaths, and feasts.” Indeed, no Protestant pastor that I’m aware of will say to his community, “If you neglect to fast, or do some penance on such and such a day, you are guilty of serious sin.” That is not to say Protestants don’t fast or give alms, or go to church, but, technically, very few would say, “I’m in sin if I neglect to do this on a certain day, or in some cases, even any day.” The typical Protestant would counter, “But I do fast and pray because God has ALREADY saved me.” Well, yeah, God’s grace of course does prompt you to do these things. Amen! Although, as James White would respond, Calvinist man that he is, would say, “But I cannot RESIST this grace, it is because of God alone. I couldn’t refuse to do these things if I wanted to because I CAN’T resist the grace of God. His grace is IRRESTIBLE.” OK, so, in other words, I don’t have free will once I “get saved.” OK, fine, so if I fry, I couldn’t help it anyway. Whether I go to heaven or not doesn’t depend on me in any sense. It’s only if God has “predestined me.” I don’t have a choice.

But anyway, that is another can of worms. But in general, this is true. In general, Protestants don’t have “mandatory discipline under pain of sin.”

So it is interesting to take the analogy further.

Oh, and BTW, October 31st is the Eve of a Holy Day of Obligation in the Catholic Church, the feast of “All Saints.” Note, the vast majority of Protestants do not believe in the Intercession of the Saints. In general, they do not petition saints, nor canonize anyone. After all, “we’re all Saints.” And the following day is the day of prayer for the dead, that is, the just in purgation. Ditto, the rebelling factions have not done penance for the souls in purgation, nor prayed for them, for, relative to them, “you either go straight to heaven or hell. There is no suffering Church.” …

… for rest of story, click below:

blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-7HJjW9kieKlaV2usQKhFiwefjXc-?cq=1&p=131

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.