16% of French Citizens Support ISIS, Poll Finds

From Newsweek
One in six French citizens sympathises with the Islamist militant group ISIS, also known as Islamic State, a poll released this week found.

The poll of European attitudes towards the group, carried out by ICM for Russian news agency Rossiya Segodnya, revealed that 16% of French citizens have a positive opinion of ISIS. This percentage increases among younger respondents, spiking at 27% for those aged 18-24.

A recent Ifop poll placed French president Francois Hollande’s approval rating at just 18%.

Here is a link to the poll results themselves

This poll was done in July, before the beheading of James Foley.

But weren’t there reports of beheadings and other atrocities well before that, as far back as March IIRC?

The lines are so blurred in the Syrian conflict it is difficult for me, at least, to draw many conclusions. Maybe those who indicated they support ISIS were actually trying to show their disapproval of Assad and the atrocities he reportedly committed.

Quand on parle d’épuration ethnique et religieuse, de totalitarisme, il ne s’agit plus d’un problème occidental, mais de l’humanité toute entière.

lefigaro.fr/vox/monde/2014/08/26/31002-20140826ARTFIG00349-etat-islamique-en-irak-le-troisieme-totalitarisme.php

This is an interview with a French senator who just returned from Iraq. He is urging France to be a part of a world coalition to eliminate ISIS.

I’m skeptical of the poll.

Jim

Even if the poll is only half right (i.e., 1 in 12 vice 1 in 6), it’s pretty disturbing.

I hope and pray that this poll is very seriously flawed. If not then we have a very serious problem on our hands.

That was my thought too.

In the US, political opinion polls are usually useless because 1. Questions are never worded unbiasedly-especially in non-Gallup, non-Pew polls; and 2. The public is overall not very knowledgeable about politics and current events. The number of people who STILL believe that Saddam was involved in 9/11 is extraordinary. The fact that a majority of this country identifies as “pro-life” and opposes the overturning of Roe v. Wade doesn’t make any sense at all. Some of it can be explained by “I wouldn’t get one but I wouldn’t legislate that view”, but not all of it. Much of the disparity is just people being misinformed on either the definition of pro-life, or the SCOTUS case. Too many people think that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. We just are not an overall well-informed bunch, in large part because we have a money and ratings driven media that is engaging is stiff competition with each other. They need our attention more than they need to be accurate. (I’m talking about all sides of the political spectrum here.) And, we get so much news from social media and hearsay.

I guess that I can’t imagine that France is too much better.

I’m sure it’s true. The numbers reflect the percentage of Muslims in that country. They are not well-assimilated. Europe has a real problem on it’s hands.

How accurate the poll results are, who knows? But keep in mind what is happening in Europe today. Anti-Semitism is on the rise. Far less attendance in churches. I’m not really comfortable with the direction Europe is headed.

That’s probably more polite than what I would have said. :smiley:

I’m so tired of the ignorance and the hypocrisy in the West.

Sixteen percent does seem high, but 1 person is too much for me.

My guess is that if they did the same poll in the USofA, it would be higher than 1%

Jim

Earlier this Summer, the news site Magharebia, which covers North Africa in Arabic, English, and French, ran a poll asking “Do you support the establishment of a Caliphate in Iraq and Syria” and over 30 pct voted YES.

That’s because 84% of French natives practice birth control and abortion. No babies, no future, and Islam is taking over Europe because they were brought in as “guest workers” and simply had children. Europe is being conquered by babies, not bullets. European Union will soon be a mighty arm of ISIS itself. Then the Muslims can start eradicating all that life-like art as idolatry like they did the giant Afghan Buddha-- the country, not the coverlet, not the dog…:slight_smile:

But supporting the Caliphate doesn’t necessarily mean the support ISIS nor their means of setting up the Caliphate.

Jim

Agreed, unfortunately many if not most of the Muslims in Europe and America are not assimilating - and that’s putting it diplomatically. This problem will only intensify.

I also worry about France in the sense that they seem to have the far left and the far right energized, with little going in the center. This makes it difficult for them to coalesce and play a leading role in Europe, the world, or even function well internally.

This is rather an exaggerated version of a real issue. The historically French ethnic populations have babies at about the same rate white Americans do, did you realize that? They’re actually doing better than places like Italy or even Poland.

That said, European countries don’t have the tradition of integration that the USA has and immigrant populations tend to remain homogenous for generations rather than integrating. The “takeover” by muslim immigrants you describe would take over a century at realistic rates. A lot can happen to change things in a century. A more likely scenario is one in which muslim populations in Europe increase to the point where they beging to become aggressive and militant, probably about 30% of the population. Then those remaining in the traditionally French culture and ethnicity will suddenly find right wing extremism rather more attractive than left wing multi-culturalism and things will start to get bloody. So rather than lament some sort of inevitable Eurabia, I’m actually more worried that what we’ll get instead is resurgent hyper-nationalism and bloody ethnic conflict over there.

Uh, come to think of it, that sounds kind of like America…:cool: (sorry about that France)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.