17 Ways to boost belief in the Eucharist

He told us Himself that He would remain with us until the end of time and He didn’t just mean in Spirit. He is with us in EVERY Tabernacle in the world and comes to us at EVERY Mass Body Blood Soul Divinity.

2 Likes

I think one way is to prohibit leaving early during Mass unless an emergency has come up. You’re literally turning your back on Jesus as he is being made present for you!

1 Like

The Eucharistic miracles do help boost it for me a lot. As for my own experience, there are times at Mass when I really try grasp the reality I’m receiving Christ in this way, and when that reality hits I’m almost nervous (in a good way) when I receive it, because I feel like I’m really going up to be in the presence of my creator and savior in this very moment with other people, and this ends up making me joyful. So, I try my best to see this in this perspective every time, sorta mentally preparing my mind and heart for it. :slight_smile:

My 17 ways:

1-17. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

As some may have noticed, I hammer on this constantly. One
of the priests who inspired me taught:

“You may spend your life looking forward to it, or looking back on it, but when you you are aware that He is there, you will be changed.”
- Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R.†

1 Like

Dwell on His Resurrection. The empty tomb. Doubting Thomas.

Luke 24

Compare Genesis 3

1 Like

While I generally agreed with the article, I didn’t understand their second point. They referred to satanists using the Eucharist. I’ve heard this argument before. I’ve even heard at the church I attend. I’ve never understood it. At the very least it seems like this should be last on the list. Who cares what satanists think? As Catholics we should come up with better arguments than “The satanists seem to think it is important”.

1 Like

I don’t know if I dare say it. That’s also exactly what happens when you turn your back to shake the hand of your neighbour at the sign of peace.
Ok, going now before the shouting starts…

1 Like

Encourage people to read Sacramentum Caritatis. Just the introduction is awesome!

“I Believe, I adore, I hope And I Love Thee & I pray for those who don’t Believe, Adore, Hope, Love Thee” is what I say to myself when Father raises the hosts and says the words of Consecration. When he raises the Chalice and says the words of Consecration I say to myself “My Lord and my God have mercy on me a sinner and I pray for all the wayward Catholics and Christians and Non Christians”

1 Like

I was expecting something along the lines of “increasing the reverence one shows to the Sacrament within and without (but especially within) the liturgy”, so I’m pretty disappointed the author didn’t see it fit to include in his list. I think this would do far more to boost belief in the Real Presence than some of the other things on his list (e.g. talking about Satanic desecration of the Eucharist, showing off the kids’ First Communion photos, etc.)

When we behave as if Christ Himself is actually coming down from Heaven and making His real presence manifest to us under the accidents of bread and wine it not only solidifies our own faith but it strengthens that of those around us. When we behave as if the Mass is a mundane event no different than any other day to day interaction then we can’t act shocked when a majority of our people believe that the Eucharist is mundane.

You want to boost belief in the Eucharist? Stop the loud chit chat before, during, and after Mass. Keep silence in the presence of Our Lord. Kneel whenever the tabernacle door is open and remain kneeling until it is closed (whether within or without a liturgy). Stop letting your children use the nave of a church as a playground. Put in the extra effort to dress appropriately for your audience with the King of Kings. If you are in charge of the liturgy in any capacity do what you can there to make it befitting of what we profess to believe is occurring at that altar: augment the sacred and diminish the profane.

5 Likes

Fully agree. When the Eucharist is distributed with the same amount of reverence as passing out snacks at halftime of your kids’ soccer game, it’s no surprise that so few believe in the real presence. Not saying this would be a magic bullet that would change beliefs overnight, but with such an abysmal level of belief in the Eucharist by Catholics you think introducing a little more reverence into the mass would be a no-brainer. But nope, that would offend some people so we can’t do that. And so the cycle continues…

2 Likes

Take fasting before communing seriously. Whatever guidelines you’ve been given, you need to adhere to them. For me, if I’m going to a morning liturgy, then I fast from all food, drink, and marital relations from midnight on. If I’m going to an evening liturgy, then I fast from noon on (at least six hours). Also, If there are pre-communion prayers (like we have in Orthodoxy) then pray them.

An article from Msgr. Charles Pope articulating many of these points:

1 Like

I would WELCOME having a Communion rail in our Church as I would truly love to be able to kneel to receive Our Lord ( for those who could and chose to). Without it I can certainly kneel ok but it’s the rising that would present a GREAT challenge, especially to be done with dignity. The sight it would cause would not be very reverent to Our Lord, Father or those around me.

2 Likes

Seriously?? Does your parish have a cry room or a narthex with speakers?

I’ve so been-there-done-that with perpetual-motion toddlers. They run. Constantly. Restraint is not an option because restraint = screaming. But letting them fly loose in the sanctuary, especially when there are other reasonable options, is out of line.

For the parents who do brave Mass with tots and try their hardest, kudos to them! Under those circumstances, reverence at Eucharist can be a royal challenge.

Read the Bible for starters. The Body & Blood of Christ is all over the scriptures.

I often speculate if Isaiah 6:6 is also speaking of the Eucharist

Just a quick testimony. My wife and I have been attending our current church for the past 2 years. We felt the Holy Spirit in that church more than others that we were in. The main difference is that our current church offers the Blood of Chirst in every mass, even weekday masses. The other churches would only offer the Blood on special occasions. Before we switched churches my wife and I would both get sick several times a year (colds, bronchitis, chronic sinus infections, etc…). Since we have been receiving the Blood of Christ every week in our new church, neither one of us has been sick at all the past two years. It has really made our faith stronger.

I personally don’t trust polls. I have a circle of friends in the Church I attend. There is a mixture of them. Some are cradle Catholics. Some are converts. Some are married to non-Catholics. The non-Catholics attend Mass.

We talk about our faith. The only ones in our group who don’t believe all the Teachings of the Church, are the non-Catholics.

Talk to your fellow Catholics. Don’t go by this fake news stuff that simply tries to stir up mess and get ratings. I personally don’t know any Catholics who don’t believe in the Eucharist.

1 Like

My own parish has neither a cry room nor a problem with parents wantonly allowing their children to disrupt the Mass. Admittedly, few churches in my area have cry rooms because my city is old and ossified (all of our churches are either approaching or surpassing 100 years), but my issue isn’t crying, making a scene, or even occasionally getting away from Mom or Dad’s grip. Nor was I even talking about toddlers. My issue was with some parents who actively allow their kids (ages, say, 4-7) to act like the poster children for a Ritalin commercial. Something I’ve had the misfortune of seeing far too many times in various churches in my area.

After the “Lamb of God” and before the “Behold the Lamb of God” the Priest and faithful pray silently. The General Instruction of the Roman Missal has: “84. The Priest prepares himself by a prayer, said quietly, so that he may fruitfully receive the Body and Blood of Christ. The faithful do the same, praying silently.”

The rubric in the Order of Mass is “131. Then the Priest, with hands joined, says quietly:”. One of two prayers is chosen. The shorter of the two is:

“May the receiving of your Body and Blood,
Lord, Jesus Christ,
not bring me to judgement and condemnation,
but through your loving mercy
be for me protection in mind and body
and a healing remedy.”

Another prayer comes after saying

“Lord, I am not worthy
that you should enter under my roof,
but only say the word
and my soul shall be healed.”

“133. The Priest, facing the altar, says quietly:

May the Body of Christ
keep me safe for eternal life.

And he reverently consumes the Body of Christ.”

[Excerpts from the English translation of The Roman Missal © 2010, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation. All rights reserved.]

One of the things that erodes belief in the True Presence is the rationalization that going to Mass faithfully every Sunday and Holy Day is not that important. People who are baptized Catholics but who have drifted away or become lax in attendance–and I have to wonder if the reason for the drift is as important as we might think–have a hard time reconciling lax attendance with Mass being a truly and even monumentally significant event. One belief or the other has to go.

The polls say that only 3 out of 10 Catholics believe in the True Presence. Only 39% self-report having been to Mass in the last week. This is not a coincidence. I think one deficit reinforces the other.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.