18 Armenian, 12 Azerbaijani troops killed in fighting

(CNN)Long-simmering tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan flared again Saturday, with at least 18 Armenian and 12 Azerbaijani troops killed in fighting, according to state media reports.
The violence was centered in Nagorno-Karabakh, a region occupied by Armenian forces but surrounded and claimed by Azerbaijan. Where it belongs has been in dispute for years, though it’s been relatively rare of late for this discord to erupt in bloodshed. cnn.com/2016/04/02/asia/azerbaijan-armenia-violence/index.html

Some of the former Republics of the Soviet Union outside of Russia appear to be unstable. Armenia and Azerbaijan were former Soviet Republics. Maybe they should be annexed into the Russian Federation along with other unstable former Republics.

Armenia is not unstable and they’re already allied with Russia. In the event of an all out war Russia would go to there aid while Turkey would aid Azerbaijan.

Would that cause World War III? Turkey is a member of NATO.

I suppose it could. I’d certainly hope that enough NATO troops would refuse orders if they meant fighting for Muslim Azerbaijan against Christian Armenia.

I hope it does not cause World War III at all. I do not think Turkey could invoke Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty since they would not have been attacked.

Erdogan said that Turkey would support Azerbaijan to the end, adding that he had raised the issue during a two-day nuclear security summit which ended on Friday in the U.S. capital. azernews.az/azerbaijan/94577.html

Fighting has continued into Sunday, after clashes left at least 30 soldiers dead and caused civilian casualties.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35953358

Let’s hope that the United States stays out of this.

I would think that you are not likely to get directly involved. As for myself I would be siding with the Armenians all the way, they have strong, (very strong) reasons to distrust and loathe Turkey which in the past killed millions of Armenians and which has never put it’s hands up to doing so.

I also personally side with Armenia and Russia.

3rd day now theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/04/azerbaijan-and-armenia-clashes-continue-for-third-day

Azerbaijan has threatened a “major attack” on the capital of the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, amid clashes with ethnic Armenian separatists.
Defence Minister Zakir Hasanov said troops had been instructed to target Stepanakert if the separatists did “not stop shelling our settlements”.
Nagorno-Karabakh warned that it would be met with a “very painful” response.

Armenia, which backs the separatists, earlier warned that the fighting could spark a large-scale war in the region.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35964213

Things appear to be escalating.

Can Russia stay out of it?

I only think Russia would become involved if Armenia were doing badly in a war with Azerbaijan. Before that happens, Azerbaijan would have to invade Nagorno-Karabakh, which would immediately force Armenia’s hand. Could happen, but not there yet.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.