19 yr old daughter "I'm glad I didn't grow up with all this technology!"

My daughter is home for a week from university. She informs me that little kids these days cuss and swear, and all they do is play with their devices, unlike her generation that played outside. She’s glad she was born when she was, without “all the technology”! :thumbsup: :smiley:

She tells me that “When I was a kid, none of us swore, and even saying shut up was bad”. She tells me that these kids nowadays ALL use swear words.

Ha ha ha! :rotfl:

What is this world coming to? :crying:

:smiley:

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

• Plato

Nothing new under the sun!!! :smiley:

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

Heh I’m thinking of raising the children I may have one day on DVDs of “The Rifleman” and CDs of old time radio broadcasts. Maybe Sega Genesis or N64 if they’re lucky. They’ll definitely be listening to recordings of Latin masses and other Classical music though and will be taking piano, if not organ.

Yeah, all the swear words. Back when I was in the USAF was the first time I really heard a lot of swearing as a normal part of conversation. But they only swore at work, never at home!

Later, when I was out of the Air Force, I was astonished that the high school kids were swearing just like military guys. Now, it’s grade school kids. It’s sort of disconcerting. Do they swear in front of mom?

quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehaving-children-in-ancient-times/

It’s more true than in the past, but it’s far from universally true. Many children still play outside, and are limited in there computer/handheld time. Same goes for the swearing. I’m constantly surprised at how well-mannered kids can still be.

Why not Commodore 64… and games on a cassette tape… :wink:

Ooh the days of popping the tape in, typing in the command to load the game and then waiting half an hour before the game is ready… those were the days! :smiley:

How about an etch-a-sketch and a pinball machine?:wink:

I had a Magna Doodle in those days :stuck_out_tongue:

A yo-yo, a slinky, and a hula hoop, oh yeah!:stuck_out_tongue:

A Tonka Dump Truck and a sandbox.

A jump rope and a good lagger to play hopscotch with! :thumbsup:

It is a sad reflection on today’s young ones whose vocabulary is laced with such profanity.
For these young ones it seems they cannot articulate without it.

What scares me the most is if this will be our future leadership generation. Let’s pray for them and those young ones that are focused and have their heads on straight.

Good thing I never had TV for a lot of my life.

You could compromise and get an Intellivision console…we were REALLY high tech! :thumbsup:

Only just now starting to play with there devices ??? really… LOL …
well…if she is saying this about herself and her Generation…
then you as a mother can take great Pride in yourself, you did a fantastic job !

My mother always said (with an air of haughtiness) that using swear words was ‘simply a display of a of a severe language deficiency’. Her remediation method involved a thesaurus, a pen and a piece of paper…and about an hour…:rolleyes::D:thumbsup: Sounds like ‘jug’/detention at my Jesuit college prep…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.