1941 Confraternity New Testament now online w/commentary

While browsing a site which posts the Rev. George Leo Haydock’s (Catholic) bible commentary, I noticed a headline that advised of the excellent 1941 Confraternity New Testament now being also online. The Confraternity is a great complement to the Knox translation and more easily read by Americans.

haydock1859.tripod.com/confraternity/index.html

It is most interesting to compare and contrast the introductions of the 1941 Confraternity with those of the 1970 New American Bible and the NABRE. There is a stark difference.

Thank you for posting.

:tiphat: The commentary is also very good. Just started reading.

Awesome! I have copies of both the whole CB and the CNT and they are treasures. Excellent translation and well worth an investment. There is a great edition of the CNT on Amazon that is perfect for pocket or purse. It does not have notes though.:thumbsup: I found both on Amazon.

Scepter prints the pocket-sized version. I truly wish that someone, somewhere, would print the final, complete Confraternity under one cover. :frowning:

I picked up a second-hand (“Catholic Action”) copy online a few years ago as a present for my wife. [Strictly speaking, it’s a “Confraternity-Douay”, because the Confraternity Old Testament was never completed - it became the New American Bible (1970) Old Testament after some tweaking.] There should still be some of them out there. :slight_smile:

Love it, thanks from me as well for the link.
Mary.

I have a CB copyright 1950 though it has the Douay OT. When you say introduction you are talking about the section called The Inspiration of the Holy Bible?

Thanks for the heads up po18guy! :smiley:

I have the 1941 CNT and had no knowledge of that commentary. Just ordered me a copy! I have to have the hard copy, since I don’t do much bible study at the computer. :stuck_out_tongue:

This morning’s readings were a good example of how differing versions help. Psalm 110 in the Jerusalem Bible is not quite as solemn (IMHO) and memorable as in the D/R version, although it is crystal clear in meaning, especially at the end. Also in Mark, the miracle of the man with the withered hand, I sort of prefer the D/R version a little more than the JB. However Hebrews is excellent in the JB for clarity of meaning. I might have to keep the CNT along with its commentary ready at hand too I think! :wink:

This is awesome. I’ve always heard good things about the Confraternity Bible; if I like the translation, I may buy an old copy.

Thank you!

That is part of it, but the best are the intros to each book. They are solid Catholic and very confidence-inspiring. The way that they should be.

As to the Douay-Comfraternity bible itself, since buying my first edition (1953), I developed an interest in them and have assembled a small collection - since various editions of the Psalms were introduced, and the OT books were slowly updated. They used to be $5-$10 on eBay, but the price has crept up a bit. Still, I find them to be excellent bibles and simply superior to what came after.

I think the Knox and 1941 Confrternity are the last major translations to be based on the Clementine/Challoner Vulgate. Tracing clear back to Saint Jerome, I find that his translation, while called idiosyncratic by some, is much warmer and more human in nature. Less like a ‘scholarly’ translation and more like a beloved grandfather relating the scriptures. Not to mention that the Church has defined the Vulgate as a reliable norm.

A double-whammy of sorts seems to have occurred with the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls in that different manuscripts were employed for later translations. At the same time, a diminishing of Church tradition seems to have crept into the translations (even the JB) since Paul now forgave sin in the “presence” of Christ rather than in the person of Christ (in Persona Christi) That can make a huge difference in apologetics. I will not even delve into the qualities of the NAB here… :rolleyes:.

Yep, that’s the one I’ve got. Type is good and easily fits a pocket and cover is durable enough for EDC. (Every Day Carry.):slight_smile:

Genuine pleather cover :frowning: Small as they are, a touch of real leather, or even the pseudo ‘bonded leather’ would be my preference. Ah, but we are fortunate enough to have them in print at all.

As to the Confraternity, I believe that the USCCB is missing a certain bet by not licensing it.

Thanks for that original link you posted. It’s great to have it available online but I looked around and was also able to pick up a used hard copy of the commentary. I already have a couple of the Confraternity Bible. :slight_smile:

I have heard from time to time complaints about a lack of Catholic Biblical commentary. I never heard mention of this one.

It’s my favorite English translation. Period.

I currently read the Knox translation, and people here seem to be saying that it’s like an American version of the Knox Bible. That’s a good sign.

Hey po18guy, top-notch post! :slight_smile: Thanks a million. I meant to say something the other day, actually. But I’ve gotten just a tremendous amount of enjoyment and pleasure from reading each of those introductions. And I’ve bookmarked the link, too, and am planning on re-reading all of them again. Bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.