1962 Roman Missal

I have recently purchased this Missal. I am trying to figure out where to go to learn how it was used and how to use it in my daily life. I find it to be a great reference tool with the numerous prayers and devotions ect. I am not quite sure what the vespers are and when to use them along with the feast day masses ect. If someone can refer me to some kind of tool that explains all the portions of the Missal and how you can incorporate it into your daily like I would appreciate it. I am sure I am missing simple answers to this questions within the Missal itself. However, it is so large that I find myself being distracted with certain passages and just reading it… But I would like to know the layout and what all the sections were used for. I don’t have anywhere locally where the Tritidine mass is provided so I can’t see it in practice… Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have the 1962 Roman Missal also. I just read through it and try to figure out what is going on. Hopefully someone will give us the type of reference that you desire. I first tried to understand how the various Sundays worked and then I worked on the daily masses. I haven’t really checked out the vespers et cetera yet.

Also, if someone can tell us where on the Internet there is a yearly calendar for the Tridentine masses, that would be useful.

For example, my calendar from the St. Pius X people gives this week as the Ember days, yet my missal says the Ember days are the previous week, between the 17th Sunday after Pentecost and the 18th Sunday after Pentecost.

i short, I have just been looking through my missal and trying to follow what day is what.

• Kathie :bowdown:

Buried in this site is the answer for this:

• The Ember Days in September are found after the 17th Sunday after Pentecost in the Missale Romanum, but the breviary indicates that they are to be kept during the third week in September. The Ordo used by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter confirms this.

*I believe they are placed after the 17th Sunday after Pentecost because they commonly but not necessarily fall there. This year they just happen to fall in another week. But they are always kept in the 3rd seek of sept from what I have been told.

James

[quote=tmeadahc]I have recently purchased this Missal. I am trying to figure out where to go to learn how it was used and how to use it in my daily life. I find it to be a great reference tool with the numerous prayers and devotions ect. I am not quite sure what the vespers are and when to use them along with the feast day masses ect. If someone can refer me to some kind of tool that explains all the portions of the Missal and how you can incorporate it into your daily like I would appreciate it. I am sure I am missing simple answers to this questions within the Missal itself. However, it is so large that I find myself being distracted with certain passages and just reading it… But I would like to know the layout and what all the sections were used for. I don’t have anywhere locally where the Tritidine mass is provided so I can’t see it in practice… Any thoughts would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Which Missal do you have - the one by Baronius Press or the one by Angelus Press? Or maybe another one?

I too have found it a great tool for prayers and devotions.

The vespers contained in the Missal are the public prayer of the Church. In the modern Liturgy of the Hours Vespers are often called Evening Prayer. The Missal will contain Vespers for Sundays and Feast days but in order to pray them every day of the year you will need a Breviary.

And much like the Mass, the pre-VII Breviary is a bit different. I have personally started with the Anglican Breviary. It is basically just an English translation of the pre-VII Roman Breviary. I have gradually learned to pray the Ordinary in Latin and use the Breviary for the beautiful English psalm translations.

The way I learned to use the Missal was just through attending the TLM and trying my best to follow along. Gradually it got easier. I know the that the parish where the TLM is held occasionally will hold classes to show people how to use their Missals.

But I really don’t know of any tool that explains the section of the Missal. If you have specific question then ask them in this thread or PM me and I will see if I can answer them. I personally have the Angelus 1962 Missal so if that is what you have then I could probably more easily explain things as I could give you the specific page #s I had marked on particular days.

God bless,

James

You might find this site helpful. It at least has the calendar your were looking for. I believe it is published by some seminarians.

users.starpower.net/jacade/

[quote=SnorterLuster]You might find this site helpful. It at least has the calendar your were looking for. I believe it is published by some seminarians.

users.starpower.net/jacade/
[/quote]

I’ve also found this site useful. It contains the Sunday readings for the TLM as well as the Sunday and daily readings for the Novus Ordo.

James

As far as what “Vespers”, Lauds, Matins, Prime, and the like are, I offer the following: (brevary description).

It describes some of the history of the Liturgy of the Hours.

Tmeadahc,

Check out this site that lists the Latin Liturgy in the US and in Canada
latinliturgy.com/latin_mass_dir.html

My problem is that I cannot find a Triditine Mass in my Diocese. I am in Savannah, GA. If I am not understanding this correctly someone please correct me, but I have yet to find a parrish in my area that has it. I am sure that it would be helpful in me trying to learn this missal to have a place to go to see it in practice.

I am still trying to decide on a traditional missal to use for personal devotions. (See my thread “Choice of Missal”.) I am considering the 1953 Saint Joseph Daily Missal as a less expensive alternative to the 1962 Roman Missal. I received some helpful responses to my previous posting. But I would welcome some comments specific to the St. Joseph.

Also, from what James said (above), perhaps the 1955 Anglican Breviary would be a good choice for devotions. It also is expensive, and I understand it is quite complicated to use. Does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, guidance?

[quote=carlito]I am still trying to decide on a traditional missal to use for personal devotions. (See my thread “Choice of Missal”.) I am considering the 1953 Saint Joseph Daily Missal as a less expensive alternative to the 1962 Roman Missal. I received some helpful responses to my previous posting. But I would welcome some comments specific to the St. Joseph.
[/quote]

I have a 1945 St Andrew Daily Missal and the 1962 Angelus Press. I like them both but I greatly prefer the Angelus Press. And I hear that the 1962 Baronius Press is just as good.

The AB is very complicated. I use it for Compline, Sunday Vespers, and I use Matins kinds like the Office of Readings is done in the modern LOTH. I use it for the psalms. For most of the prayers (Our Father, Hail Mary, I confess, etc) I have been using Latin.

And after all of this I still find it a bit complicated. But I think it is worth it. As much as I detest the wooden, artificial sounding translation of the LOTH I still liked praying it. I started off praying the modern LOTH and I did it for a long time before switching to the AB. And the biggest reason I switched was because it is a translation of the pre-VII Roman Breviary and I prefer to attend the Tridentine Mass. It jsut seemed to fit better. If i didn’t attend the Tridentine Mass I would probably still be using the LOTH. I actually still occasionally pray it.

But, you might want to start with the LOTH instead of the AB. There are sevearal versions out there. I particularly like this book for Sunday Vespers. And they make one for Compline that I haven’t seen yet.

God bless,

James

[quote=tmeadahc]My problem is that I cannot find a Triditine Mass in my Diocese. I am in Savannah, GA. If I am not understanding this correctly someone please correct me, but I have yet to find a parrish in my area that has it. I am sure that it would be helpful in me trying to learn this missal to have a place to go to see it in practice.
[/quote]

I am in no way familiar w/ GA so I don’t know if this is even remotely close but in the Archdiocese of Atlanta there is a parish which the bishop has set aside for the TLM. In fact it’s the only Mass they offer and it is offered almost daily.

St. Francis de Sales Church

Mon – Thurs: 9:00 AM

Sat. 10:00 AM

Holy Days: 9:00 AM & 8:00 PM

And it is not quite the TLM but it is close. In the diocese of Savannah the NO Mass (1970 Missal) is offered in Latin at the Church of the Most Holy Trinity on the 1st Sat of the month at 5PM.

God bless,

James

I am in no way familiar w/ GA so I don’t know if this is even remotely close but in the Archdiocese of Atlanta there is a parish which the bishop has set aside for the TLM. In fact it’s the only Mass they offer and it is offered almost daily.

St. Francis de Sales Church

Mon – Thurs: 9:00 AM

Sat. 10:00 AM

Holy Days: 9:00 AM & 8:00 PM

And it is not quite the TLM but it is close. In the diocese of Savannah the NO Mass (1970 Missal) is offered in Latin at the Church of the Most Holy Trinity on the 1st Sat of the month at 5PM.

God bless,

James

This schedule is outdated. The correct schedule is:

Sundays: 9:00AM Low Mass
11:30AM Solemn High Mass

Monday-Thursday: Mass 6:30AM & 9:00AM

Friday: Mass 9:00AM & 7:00PM
(7PM Mass followed by Holy Hour & Benediction)

Saturday: Mass 6:30AM & 9:00AM

Holy Days: 9:00AM Low Mass
8:00PM Solemn High Mass

Confessions: Friday evening during holy hour
Saturday 8:15-8:45AM
Sunday before both Masses
Weekdays before 9AM Mass

francisdesales.com

Alas, Savannah is a long way from Atlanta.

Another good Latin Missal is the Father Lasance Missal. I have it in addition to the Angelus Press 1962 Roman Missal and the St Andrew. I have the Baronius Press Missal on order. I have found something good in each.

I did not get the St. Joseph Missal because the description I read indicated that a lot of it was in English. Perhaps I am in error on that.

Sometimes I figure out what the structure of the Mass is by consulting several of the missals. Even if you buy only one, you might read someone else’s to see if a particular explanation is clearer.

As you can see i collect Missals. I also have two latin altar missals, one 1962 Missale Romanum and the Missale Romanun which is a Novus Ordo missale.

• Kathie :bowdown:

I looked it up and there are no traditional Latin Masses in the Diocese of Savannah. Atlanta is indeed a long way from Savannah! I may be wrong but I believe Jacksonville, Fla. is closer to Savannah than Atlanta is and there is a traditional Latin Mass offered there. Here on this website web2.iadfw.net/~carlsch/MaterDei/churches.htm#georgia
is a directory of approved Latin Masses. See if you can’t find one that is within a reasonable distance (maybe not Atlanta, but Charleston, SC or Jacksonville, FL) and in the meantime pray that the traditional Latin Mass will soon be offered in your diocese. Try praying a novena to St. Philomena. Good luck!

[quote=Anima Christi]I looked it up and there are no traditional Latin Masses in the Diocese of Savannah. Atlanta is indeed a long way from Savannah! See if you can’t find one that is within a reasonable distance (maybe not Atlanta, but Charleston, SC or Jacksonville, FL) and in the meantime pray that the traditional Latin Mass will soon be offered in your diocese. Try praying a novena to St. Philomena. Good luck!
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. I have attended St. Francis de Sales in Mableton, Georgia twice in the last few months, and believe me, it is too far away for someone from Savannah! Although I am from Minnesota (!), I am blessed to have a son living in southern Cobb County, so when I’m there I get a real, true Latin Mass!

I’m also blessed to have a reasonably close Traditional Latin Mass up here, but the one in Georgia is FSSP. I should mention the impressively diverse population that worships there. The head of FSSP in the USA gave the homily at one Mass, and he, too, commented on how heartwarming it was to see the variety of ethnicities in the parish.

All that said, it is still too far from Savannah!!! Sorry! :frowning:

Pray unceasingly,

Anna

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.