1962 US Missal - Prayer for the President?

In my UK version of the 1962 missal there is a prayer for the queen to be said at the end of mass after the St. Michael prayer, I was wondering if there is a similar prayer in US missals for the president or for the USA?

I’ve got a 1955, and it’s not in my missal. How much they need prayers though! Perhaps if Obama was prayed for he would change. I mean, the man supports partial birth abortion for crying out loud :frowning:

Do you want to post the prayer? If it was approved I’m sure we could use it and say president instead.

Its not in my missal from 1945 either just my 1962 one, so maybe there is one in some missal somewhere lol. Sure I’ll post the prayer, though with it been for a monarch it doesn’t really transfer to good to a president I don’t think, but your right he sure does need them, imagine how powerful that would be if at the end of every mass in the US the people prayed for the president and an end to abortion, the Bishops need to introduce somethign like that.

V. O Lord, save Elizabeth our Queen.
R. And hear us in the say when we call upon Thee.

Let us pray. Almighty God, we pray for thy servant Elizabeth our Queen, now by they mercy reigning over us. Adorn her yet more with every virtue, remove all evil from her path, that with her consort, and all the royal family she may come at last in grace to thee, who are the way, the truth and the life. Through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen

That’s a very good idea!!

How about this:

V. O Lord, save Barack our President.
R. And hear us in the day?] when we call upon Thee.

Let us pray. Almighty God, we pray for thy servant Barack our President, now by the mercy reigning over us. Adorn him yet more with every virtue, remove all evil from his path, that with his consort, and all the government? :)] he may come at last in grace to thee, who are the way, the truth and the life. Through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen

:stuck_out_tongue: You’re right it does sound a bit goofy.

Well you would definitely want to remove the reigning over you part, a president doesn’t reign, he governs, you are citizens not subjects, and also his family aren’t part of the government officially unlike a monarchs family.

So you pretty much need a whole new prayer sorry!

lol

Someone some place must have some traditional prayers for the president or the US surely!

Dear Father

Please change Mr.Obama’s heart toward the sanctity of all life. Amen:)

PS Jesus, we could also use some help with pro-choice “Catholic” Politicians… Thank you

lol love it :slight_smile:

:):slight_smile:

:):thumbsup:
Not bad at all. Thanks for posting.
For the OP. The missal I have says the prayer for the Queen is said after High Mass. I have a video of a Solemn High Mass recorded in London, and the prayer for the queen is recited at the end of Mass before the recession. I have never heard of a similar prayer in the US for the President or nation.

wish they had them here in the US after every Mass. Obama needs them bad.

At one time in the US (although not formally*) it was common to use the versicle “O Lord, save our republic (Ans) And hear us, etc.” after Communion. The versicle is taken from the ferial Preces (like a litany) for Lauds and Vespers, in the Divine Office, where a similar substitution was also made.

Another common practice was to recite Archbishop Carrol’s prayer (although this was more commonly done after the sermon)

*Domine salvam fac was usually added by concordat or some sort of formal treaty or decree

That prayer by Archbishop Carrol is excellent, just the kind of thing I was looking for, I will add it to my prayer book.

Thank you and God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.